Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Faint Young Sun Paradox

6 posts in this topic

Here’s a climate puzzle — one that goes back to Earth’s infancy some 4.5 billion to 2.5 billion years ago. The sun was much dimmer back then. Far less solar radiation reached the planet. Earth should have been a frozen wasteland. But all geologic signs point to a young planet awash in liquid water, with the first life-forms emerging. Scientists call this conundrum the “faint young sun paradox.”

http://www.sciencene...Faint_Young_Sun

1 person likes this

Faint Young Sun? Isn't he Kim Jong-Un's second in command?

I do hope that wasn't racist. :innocent:

The planet was far more geologically active back then, and there is strong evidence to suggest that life emerged due to geothermal processes rather than solar processes.Even if the surface of the oceans were deep frozen there would have been many deep water seas for life to grow in. I really don't think its that difficult a problem.

The same is true of Mars which had an atmosphere and liquid water before its core went cool.

Br Cornelius

The planet was far more geologically active back then, and there is strong evidence to suggest that life emerged due to geothermal processes rather than solar processes.Even if the surface of the oceans were deep frozen there would have been many deep water seas for life to grow in. I really don't think its that difficult a problem.

The same is true of Mars which had an atmosphere and liquid water before its core went cool.

Br Cornelius

And puzzle over...

1 person likes this

I was going to guess.. Internal heat.

I'll throw another one out there, the sun constantly loses mass. Our orbit around the sun today should be further out than it was billions of years ago since less mass means less gravitational pull on the planets.

I'm guessing a combination of a denser atmosphere, a more geologically active planet (as Cornelius pointed out), and a slightly closer orbit to the sun would be enough to offset the difference in solar radiation.