Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Myrtles Plantation

Keel M.

On 19 April, I visited the Myrtles Plantation with a friend of mine who was in town for the weekend. For those who don't know, it's a plantation approximately 1h45m north of New Orleans and has existed since the 1790s I believe. They advertise that they are the most haunted house in the US. I have no way of confirming or denying this claim. I am sharing these photos with you strictly for your enjoyment and to entice you to visit the home. You can spend the night on the property - either in the house proper or in cabins built near the home - but we did not since I had no intention of allowing my friend to spend that much money.

8694091686_e4987d8d27_n.jpg

8692974127_ac4f3da035_n.jpg

8692974171_f488c307c1_n.jpg

8694091900_4f97cd1832_n.jpg

8692974317_88c91e9f87_n.jpg

8692974331_ae9b21e615_n.jpg

Edited by Kasey2601
  • Like 1

I sent my mom there for mother's day a few years ago. She had a lot of fun, but didn't like how they were extremely limited on the photos they could take. They stayed at a nearby bed and breakfast that was also supposedly haunted and got to wander the grounds and take all of the pictures they wanted. Had a good time!

• Like 1

Yeah interior photos are strictly limited to the entry hall where that mirror is. A fact I was not aware of on my 2003 visit and took all kinds of photos in every room.

• Like 1

Yeah interior photos are strictly limited to the entry hall where that mirror is. A fact I was not aware of on my 2003 visit and took all kinds of photos in every room.

Haha oops!

• Like 1

That's the closest I've ever come to having proof of anything, but unfortunately I moved around many times during 2005 and those photos were lost to time. I had shared this particular photo with people on another forum, but for some reason when I managed to find the thread a few years later, the photo was broken.

I'll tell you what, though, that pond they have in the back creeps me out WAY more than the house.

• Like 1

That's the closest I've ever come to having proof of anything, but unfortunately I moved around many times during 2005 and those photos were lost to time. I had shared this particular photo with people on another forum, but for some reason when I managed to find the thread a few years later, the photo was broken.

I'll tell you what, though, that pond they have in the back creeps me out WAY more than the house.

When my mom went, she and her husband at the time and a couple of friends went to a garden that had once been a house as well, but the house burned down leaving only the garden behind. It was a huge garden with maze-like hedges, and she walked around a corner and nearly stepped on a sprinkler. She jumped back and shouted, and then suddenly they all heard kids laughing. They were the only ones there, no kids. They were pretty freaked out and left.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to go there but have never had the opportunity. Why do they limit photographs to the hallway mirror alone?

Well not to the mirror alone, but definitely to that entry hall. They just direct you to the mirror. *shrugs* It seems absurd to me since most every other plantation I've been to merely asks that you don't use flash.

Didn't the Ghost Hunters do a pretty good job of debunking the mirror?

No idea. I never saw that episode.

The mirror has had so many captured images ,dunno about that . We had planned to go a few years back ,but had to cancel due to money issues.

I wanted to stay over night . But then,the whole you can't turn the door knob or get out of a room ,happens to me here at home so .....

I wanted to see just how creepy it is there at night though .

• Like 1

The tour guide that evening said he stayed at the home alone during the week that Hurricane Isaac blew through southeast Louisiana last summer. He claimed that when all of the power went out throughout the small town of St Francisville, the Myrtles didn't lose any for even a moment. To my knowledge, the entire property taps into the municipal electricity, but it's just as easy for them to have their own back up power, though why they'd need that is beyond me.

I don't remember if the story that freaked him out the most was during that time or earlier when he spent a month as the night manager, which had him spending the night there every night. He said he chose the Ruffin-Sterling Room and he felt the bed shake violently during the night. Of course as with most furniture in these old homes, it's made of heavy wood and not easily moved by someone. Since the tour doesn't go upstairs, I have never seen the bed in question. He's had other experiences as well, but none that really stood out to me. I think he's tried on different occasions to spend a full night in the Ruffin-Sterling Room, but hasn't been successful.