Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seeing Into Someone's Head

Miss Shadows

Hey I just had 2 questions to ask; I assume this is the correct place.

1. What's the term for when a person can walk by other people in their day, and get a sense of what's going on with that person in their life or their minds in that moment, through images, sounds, physical and emotional sensations, etcetera? Not so much like empathy (though maybe similar), and not mind-reading. Just inadvertantly taking in the contents of another person's thoughts and such when one looks at them or maybe get's near them.

2. How do you turn it on/off?

Thank you so much in advance.

It's odd no one has responded yet; I don't think such things are real and when they happen are entirely imaginary. Therefore one turns the sensation on or off by taking or not taking one's pills.

It's odd no one has responded yet; I don't think such things are real and when they happen are entirely imaginary. Therefore one turns the sensation on or off by taking or not taking one's pills.

Mhm? Well it's a good thing we have non-believers, honestly. What if we didn't? Everyone would believe everything and anything without question. Without believers, what exploration would there be? No one would question, and therefore no one would delve into and expand what we know about the world around us.

Feel free to ignore this, Frank, or feel free to continue contributing. If you'd be willing to humor me a moment, beliefs set aside, let's just say someone has no mental disorders/dysfunctions/impairments, and has verified, factual reason stating this is perfectly legitimate, even if unexplained by conventional wisdom. What would you call what I described in number 1 in my original post? Look at it as a matter of putting a name on something.

We all have mental disorders and dysfunctions. I am prone to losing my temper something awful -- not good especially in someone who tries to be a good Buddhist.

Nor am I a believer in "conventional wisdom," since I don't think such a thing actually exists, even among the most materialist reductionist positivist you might possibly find.

I do think we are all entirely alone, with no means of breaking our loneliness except the poor and often misleading and artificial contrivances of conventional language and gestures. We wish we had better ways to share and so end up imagining them.

i thought this was an empath and a good explanation of one too. i like to call my self a empath but try to rationalize it by thinking im justjust good at reading body language and know what people are about to say by knowing what the most likely thing someone would say. i was deaf untill age of four so assume my brain compensated with body and lip reading abilities. i can completely hear now but im quite intune with others.

not sure if i was this good before being a christian, thinks its cus bible teaches us ti consider others first.

i know other christians who can do this to.

also thought this would be a thing buddists believe in as its an a ability known when using the heart chakra.

Edited by Armchair Educated
  • Like 1

These things are yogic, and there is some of this in some forms of Buddhism (Tibetan?) but it is not something "Buddhists believe in," and is mainly a Hindu belief system (not that there is not a great deal of back-and-forth between these traditions). For the most part nowadays Buddhists practice Western medicine.

1. What's the term for when a person can walk by other people in their day, and get a sense of what's going on with that person in their life or their minds in that moment, through images, sounds, physical and emotional sensations, etcetera? Not so much like empathy (though maybe similar), and not mind-reading. Just inadvertantly taking in the contents of another person's thoughts and such when one looks at them or maybe get's near them.

Hi,

(1) Telepathy when you can define that as a "shared experience".

(2) There is no on/off switch. You either evolve the skill or put it into remission.

John

Hi,

(1) Telepathy when you can define that as a "shared experience".

(2) There is no on/off switch. You either evolve the skill or put it into remission.

John

with the on off switch thing, i dont always think its possible to keep abilities. i think some abilities can depend on your state of mind and as we are allways changing mentally, it can temporarly be lost. i have zero abilities on days when im self obsessed or not loving in nature.

Some questions for you -

1. Where you taking cough medicine at the time?

2. Where you taking any other medication?

3. Did you have insomnia the night before?

4. Had you been using any recreational drugs?

What you call 'reality' gets altered in certain circumstances giving you bizarre experiences. Those experiences can include the merging with another persons consciousness or physical body. It doesnt just occur when taking drugs and having a lack of sleep. Some people have naturally high levels of DMT in their brains (similar effects to lsd).

Edited by Giant Killer B
  • Like 1

I dunno; I have to take lots of drugs (although not recreational) and I manage to keep my mind pretty much in my skull most of the time, and I've never noticed anyone else's in there. Is this normal?

I dunno; I have to take lots of drugs (although not recreational) and I manage to keep my mind pretty much in my skull most of the time, and I've never noticed anyone else's in there. Is this normal?

If your doctor isnt giving you any psychoactive drugs then you arent going to have any psychoactive experiences now are you?

For the OP another thing which can cause psychoactive experiences is touching certain house/garden plants you might have without washing your hands afterwards.

I was being sarcastic; at heart when people come on this board with stories of this sort I just sorta can't help myself. They are looking for support to the idea that they have some unusual ability, and maybe they do. My testimony is that I don't.

How do you know you are sensing the right things about that person? Do you ask them?

How do you know you are sensing the right things about that person? Do you ask them?

Good idea.. I dunno what the nature of THOUGHT is supposed to be , scientifically . I would guess , as with everything else ... PHYSICAL?

So, how about the idea of quantum entanglement.. and Einstein's "spooky action at a distance" ?? I dunno, but we do seem to leak /transmit .. and sense/ receive sometimes.

I've had lots of experiences of somehow 'picking up' on what someone was thinking... and had people accurately tell me what i had just thought.

Good idea.. I dunno what the nature of THOUGHT is supposed to be , scientifically . I would guess , as with everything else ... PHYSICAL?

So, how about the idea of quantum entanglement.. and Einstein's "spooky action at a distance" ?? I dunno, but we do seem to leak /transmit .. and sense/ receive sometimes.

I've had lots of experiences of somehow 'picking up' on what someone was thinking... and had people accurately tell me what i had just thought.

quantum entanglement?

you have lost me

brian-regan.gif

• Like 2

Well yes that happens all the time for all sorts of reasons to everyone. Usually it has to do with common environment and events, common habits and familiarity with the other person, and then that old standby, coincidence.

with the on off switch thing, i dont always think its possible to keep abilities. i think some abilities can depend on your state of mind and as we are allways changing mentally, it can temporarly be lost. i have zero abilities on days when im self obsessed or not loving in nature.

Yes we can become (unbalanced intuitively?). Our state of mind can create issues for us at any time. And yes, it is temporary. But is is not a switch.

quantum entanglement?

you have lost me

brian-regan.gif

Buy yourself two tubes of Smarties and a small non-transparent bag -

1. Empty all the Smarties out.

2. Seperate out 10 blue ones, 10 red ones and 10 greens ones putting them into the bag.

3. Have a break and eat the other Smarties.

4. Randomly mix the 30 Smarties located in the bag and without seeing what colours go back into the two tubes pour an even amount of Smarties into each.

You will now likely have 15 Smarties in each tube. Collectively you know both tubes contain a total of 10 blue Smarties even though you dont know how they've been allocated. Pick either tube then -

1. Empty one Smartie out without seeing the colours of the other ones inside the tube.

2. If its blue put it to one side.

3. If it isnt blue put it back in the tube, shake the tube to randomise the remaining Smarties and repeat.

To start with it will take a small amount of searches to find a blue Smartie. However as a blue Smartie is removed the probability of finding another one is reduced meaning it takes more searches to find it. This continues on but, and this is the crucial point of the experiment, without knowing what colours remain in the tube the probability of finding another blue Smarties is never actually zero (unless all 10 have been recovered).

So what does that mean? That means if maths represents how reality works then if you're prepared to search for long enough you'll always recover the 10 blue Smarties out of your chosen tube. Nuts yeah?

If maths represents reality then some mysterious connection must also exist between the two Smartie tubes. The reason for that is your continued searching to recover all 10 blue Smarties from your chosen tube (even if it takes all afternoon) is also fixing the colour makeup of Smarties in the second tube (you're making it have no blue Smarties). That mysterious connection is called quantum entanglement. Before you ask you cant send accurate messages using it because theres always the small chance you had all 10 blue Smarties in the tube to begin with.

Hows that for a bit of crazy plastic-reality meta-physics on a Tuesday afternoon? You could always live in denial refusing to believe it or to even try it.

Edited by Giant Killer B
  • Like 1

Not every single person I've run across this with, but when this happens in regards to someone I know, or at least someone I'm in conversation with, where the question 'what are you thinking right now?' is appropriate, yes I have asked. For example, I was sitting in a room with a friend last week; we were both pretty quiet and I started getting a 'stream' of images, of a woman playing the violin, of a woman making jewelry, and the same woman again making pottery with a particular cat nearby. I asked my friend what was on her mind, and she ended up telling me about her deceased aunt, whose primary hobbies included pottery and jewelry making, playing the violin, and apparently she had a cat who never left her side, which in description from my friend matched the one I'd just envisioned.

Some questions for you -

1. Where you taking cough medicine at the time?

2. Where you taking any other medication?

3. Did you have insomnia the night before?

4. Had you been using any recreational drugs?

What you call 'reality' gets altered in certain circumstances giving you bizarre experiences. Those experiences can include the merging with another persons consciousness or physical body. It doesnt just occur when taking drugs and having a lack of sleep. Some people have naturally high levels of DMT in their brains (similar effects to lsd).

1. No, no cough medication

2. Yes, I take something for a problem with my hip. There's no listed psychological/neural effects, and for what it's worth, I've been experiencing what I described in my OP far longer than I've been taking what I take for my hip.

3. No

4. No

• Like 1

Ok, ready with my smarites, but this is all what was in there:

3235644281_e078a6f247_z.jpg

• Like 2

Not every single person I've run across this with, but when this happens in regards to someone I know, or at least someone I'm in conversation with, where the question 'what are you thinking right now?' is appropriate, yes I have asked. For example, I was sitting in a room with a friend last week; we were both pretty quiet and I started getting a 'stream' of images, of a woman playing the violin, of a woman making jewelry, and the same woman again making pottery with a particular cat nearby. I asked my friend what was on her mind, and she ended up telling me about her deceased aunt, whose primary hobbies included pottery and jewelry making, playing the violin, and apparently she had a cat who never left her side, which in description from my friend matched the one I'd just envisioned.

But thats slightly different from the OP. You said " 1. What's the term for when a person can walk by other people in their day," , can you explain how this works?

1. No, no cough medication

2. Yes, I take something for a problem with my hip. There's no listed psychological/neural effects, and for what it's worth, I've been experiencing what I described in my OP far longer than I've been taking what I take for my hip.

3. No

4. No

Also, I suppose there may have been some confusion with my original post, when I gave an overview of what this is. When I get 'mental images', sounds, physical or emotional sensations, I am fully aware these aren't something 'tangible' so to speak, or coming physically from that very moment. For example, I can differentiate when I walk down the street and smell tacos from a taco shop, versus getting an image and thinking it's actually right there, right then. Try envisioning a beach. Maybe you can see the water and sand, or smell the salt in the air, or hear waves. That's really the best I can explain those mental images/sounds/smells. When I'm getting that, I can still see hear and feel everything in front of me. I can differentiated between what's there physically, and what I'm just percieving on that mental level, and I'm completely lucid and aware the entire time. Truthfully I'm not sure I can effectively explain the physical/emotional sensations as effectively if you haven't experienced it. It's similar though to the previous thing I mentioned, where I can tell the difference between pain as in ow, someone's pinching my arm right now, and pain as in oh, that person banged their elbow today.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that throughout these experiences I'm entirely lucid, and not that I can tell from first hand experience, but it's nothing like a drug trip.

Edited by HeartsAreForBreaking

But thats slightly different from the OP. You said " 1. What's the term for when a person can walk by other people in their day," , can you explain how this works?

Well, I meant that bold part in a general physical sense. I may be sitting at work and make eye contact with a coworker for 3 seconds, and get a view of their thoughts or their day in images, sounds, sensations and whathaveyou. I could be sitting on the couch with a friend for a few hours, or I could get it walking past a complete stranger 2 feet away, or when I smile and thank the barista who hands me my coffee at a coffee shop. These things have occurred remotely too, but I was bringing up the certain instances where I was within a closer proximity to someone, whether I'm stationary or just a passerby.

Does that answer your question?

Also, I suppose there may have been some confusion with my original post, when I gave an overview of what this is. When I get 'mental images', sounds, physical or emotional sensations, I am fully aware these aren't something 'tangible' so to speak, or coming physically from that very moment. For example, I can differentiate when I walk down the street and smell tacos from a taco shop, versus getting an image and thinking it's actually right there, right then. Try envisioning a beach. Maybe you can see the water and sand, or smell the salt in the air, or hear waves. That's really the best I can explain those mental images/sounds/smells. When I'm getting that, I can still see hear and feel everything in front of me. I can differentiated between what's there physically, and what I'm just percieving on that mental level, and I'm completely lucid and aware the entire time. Truthfully I'm not sure I can effectively explain the physical/emotional sensations as effectively if you haven't experienced it. It's similar though to the previous thing I mentioned, where I can tell the difference between pain as in ow, someone's pinching my arm right now, and pain as in oh, that person banged their elbow today.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that throughout these experiences I'm entirely lucid, and not that I can tell from first hand experience, nut it's nothing like a drug trip.

Do you ever get deja-vu and if so do you know where you're remembering things from?

Is it some level of consciousness really deep down inside you. A level of consciousness which is all seeing and all knowing?

Are you tapping this during the experience in you OP?