Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US scientists develop smart RFID-enabled

ExpandMyMind

US scientists have developed a way to embed radio frequency identification chips on to paper that they say is quicker, cheaper and offers wider applications than current methods.

The technique could be used to prevent fraud as well as provide a new meaning to the term 'paper trail'.

The process uses lasers to transfer and assemble the chips on paper.

Such smart paper could be used for banknotes, legal documents, tickets and smart labels, the team said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22369628

Fraud wise etc it's good. But I don't like the fact we will be so watched.

• Like 1

Imagine that,the world we live in where everything could made trackable,scary eh.

• Like 2

I wonder if any psychology grad students are studying the possible perturbations in mentality that could result from the reality of potentially constant observation?

• Like 2

does this mean the price of money will go up to pay for the cost of the imprinted chips??

with inflation skyrocketing, I don't fancy paying six pounds for a five pound note!!

:-)

• Like 1

Fraud wise etc it's good. But I don't like the fact we will be so watched.

That is the way we are going,just renewed my British Passport and they are now chipped.Won't be long before your clothes will be printed with this Technology.

• Like 1

That is the way we are going,just renewed my British Passport and they are now chipped.Won't be long before your clothes will be printed with this Technology.

I think most manufacturers already do this for inventory control.

What I would really like to see is for someone to invent 'polarized ink'... Ink that switches between opaque and transparent on paper, making it appear to blink on and off...

• Like 2

Oh damn i have to renew mine and forgot about that.

You're hardly being watched through an RFID chip in your passport. Unless they have scanners on every street in the UK (or World), that is. Passports are only scanned when you travel through an airport. Until then, the RFID chip is dormant.

And Shrooma, the RFID in the money being proposed probably costs a tiny fraction of a penny per note at today's production costs. I'm not sure about the proposed method mind you, but I know that in general RFID use is inexpensive.