Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bagram Airfield Crash

CRYSiiSx2

Wasn't sure if this was suppose to be in the U.S. and Americas section since it was an Army plane or in the Middle East section, but here it is.

A 747 U.S. cargo plane crashed on its ascent from Bagram, Afghanistan Monday, killing all 7 American crew members aboard. The exact cause of the crash is not known, but thunderstorms were in the area.

The plane, in route to Dubai (United Arab Emirates), was carrying 5 military vehicles according to the Aviation Herald.

Source: http://www.washingto...airfield-crash/

Here is dramatic footage of the crash captured by a dashcam.

Edited by CRYSiiSx2

It looks like it stalled. What a horrifying way to go.... may they rest in peace.

• Like 1

Just crazy. I seen it last night. Imagine that one minute of terror for the crew.

Read speculation that cargo shifted to the back throwing of the center of gravity.

Saw this on TV tonight,

Read speculation that cargo shifted to the back throwing of the center of gravity.

A pilot on TV tonight also said that Cargo may have shifted.

It looks like it stalled. What a horrifying way to go.... may they rest in peace.

Not nice for the families of the Crew either,to see their loved ones die in this way.

• Like 1

It was very eerie seeing a jumbo jet vertical and appearing to just float and wobble in the air like that.

Saw this on TV tonight,

A pilot on TV tonight also said that Cargo may have shifted.

Wow, I have never heard of this type of crash before.

It's also possible that they climbed to steep. I know that in those bases you have to get high fast. We wont know what the cause was until they recover the black box.

Could a jet like that get vertical so fast without trying real hard to do it? I find it hard to believe that they would even have the function to allow such a position.

Could a jet like that get vertical so fast without trying real hard to do it? I find it hard to believe that they would even have the function to allow such a position.

No expert but no pilot would even TRY to climb that steep in such an aircraft. It does look like a load shift. If that was the case then the loadmaster paid for his mistake with his life. Awful....

Apparently the Taliban are trying to claim responsibility,but according to the authorities there hasn't been any Taliban activity in that area for some time.

No expert but no pilot would even TRY to climb that steep in such an aircraft. It does look like a load shift. If that was the case then the loadmaster paid for his mistake with his life. Awful....

I wouldn't think that he would try which leads me to believe it was a load shift. Didn't read the op but what I read last night says all weather reports said the air was fairly calm so that rules out some intense updraft.

Apparently the Taliban are trying to claim responsibility,but according to the authorities there hasn't been any Taliban activity in that area for some time.

Unless they snuck in and cut the cargo straps and nobody noticed all they could've done was shoot it down and nothing in the video remotely suggests that.

• Like 1

I can't believe that it took the guy so long to say "oh f---".

I can't believe that it took the guy so long to say "oh f---".

I think he seen it coming so didn't say it out of surprise but rather oh f this is terrible.

I wouldn't think that he would try which leads me to believe it was a load shift. Didn't read the op but what I read last night says all weather reports said the air was fairly calm so that rules out some intense updraft.

Unless they snuck in and cut the cargo straps and nobody noticed all they could've done was shoot it down and nothing in the video remotely suggests that.

If the Cargo was to shift to the back of the plane,would this cause the Nose to go up and stall the plane ?

• Like 1

This War on Terror is a loser. Needless deaths for petty excuses.

RIP

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1

Is the same Baghram where they tortued people after kidnapping them off the streets from other countries and took them there?

I wonder if the ghosts of our servicemen and of the ones who were tortured can find peace in the next life where we failed to find it in this one.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

How helpless the crew must have felt. 30 seconds must have felt like an eternity.

Aviation websites say the cargo was trucks, and they must have been secured improperly. Damn shame. Certainly the most dramatic footage of a 747 stalling. Probably ONLY footage of that.

• Like 3

load shift.

pilots knew it right away and radioed tower,

it is not speculation, it is a fact.

load shifts happen, but at the take off, or landing it is "coffin envelope"

• Like 3

Coffin Corner, is usually the term, but not applied to out of CG conditions.

I almost don't want to listen, but do you know where the tower communications might be heard Aztek?

• Like 1

If the Cargo was to shift to the back of the plane,would this cause the Nose to go up and stall the plane ?

Heck if I know but apparently it is so. I know nothing of aviation but I found this video fascinating not in a good way though.

Exactly right. Shifting loads, through human error, have caused a number of accidents like this over the years, in a variety of airplanes.

• Like 1

This situation happened almost identically to a load-shift fatal crash involving, I think, a UPS cargo jet out of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida a few years ago...

Cargo shift to the rear, steep climb/angle of attack, loss of lift wing aerodynamics and impossible to recover from it at that low alttitude.

In both cases, it was during take-off.

Not sure if that's what happened here, but the vids look almost identical in nature. Sorry, don't have the Florida vid handy.

• Like 1