Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] New strains of killer flu virus created

sean6

This is most disturbing.

Not saying anything against China, though I do feel this is dangerously irresponsible.

EDIT: Unless in cooperation/guidance by the World Health Organization(WHO) and other pertinent scientific parties. Just my opinion...

Edited by pallidin

Well, this gives you another reason never to buy products from China, buying from them on eBay has always put a sick lump in my throat when I open my packages already.

Maybe its to make us buy more cold and flu tablets. Or maybe the governments of the world know we are over populated and have figured a pandemic is the best way to kill millions in a short space of time.

If you are worried move to Madagascar. I am guessing the president of Madagascar has read the article and shut down the sea port already lol.

If I remember correctly the Spanish Flu of 1812 killed (only, !) 1 in 20, while the two recent stains of Bird Flu are much more deadly. The one that appeared over a year ago kills about 1 in 5, and the most recent I believe is also quite lethal. What they lack is the ability to be easily transmissible between humans. The Chinese (and likely other) scientists have tried to "fix" this little problem of easy transmission.

Life (if one considers viruses living) has a nasty way of not staying where you put it. Perhaps what they have done is little different then what naturally occurs as virus genes are mixed and shuffled between ducks, pigs and humans in rural China, where most new strains seem to originate. But do we really need to help the process along? One lab accident in a country as crowded as China and multiple millions could die, and with air travel, it won't stay in Asia.

A few years ago I read of scientists nearing the creation of a universal flu vaccine, which binds to receptors on the virus that are not known to mutate and so would be effective against all strains. I don't know how far the research has advanced since then, but will new and deadlier strains of flu appearing in nature and humans tampering with other strains it might be a good idea to pour more research money into the science before we have a true "Captain Trips" type of plague. With the creation of "100 new strains" of the virus there is a remote possibility that you could have somethings that kills 1 out of 1. Let's hope not.

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 1

Oh god..it's contagion all over again, I thought "SOMEONE" learned their lesson the first time with the pork incident.. I'm not pointing any fingers...CHINA!! LOL

Just takes one to sell it to north Korea

And they would be glad to kill us.

I dont see why you should get worked-up over this. If it's controlled by authorities, it's nothing worse than what's already happening all around the world. It's a fact that there's biological and chemical weapons being developed, especially by the bigger countries. My country has a percentage of our military trained to fight against those weapons, to prevent and protect others from the effects of ABC-weapons. Most countries should have their own anti-ABC military branches. I'd be far more concerned about the researches they aren't telling us about, you keep your real weapons a secret in that field.

Edited by Mikko-kun
  • Like 1

I dont see why you should get worked-up over this. If it's controlled by authorities, it's nothing worse than what's already happening all around the world. It's a fact that there's biological and chemical weapons being developed, especially by the bigger countries. My country has a percentage of our military trained to fight against those weapons, to prevent and protect others from the effects of ABC-weapons. Most countries should have their own anti-ABC military branches. I'd be far more concerned about the researches they aren't telling us about, you keep your real weapons a secret in that field.

I think what works me up the most about it is what if a terrorist organization get a hold of it.

I think what works me up the most about it is what if a terrorist organization get a hold of it.

I'm personally not worried about that. You'd have to be a real doomsday enthusiast to release a virus like that. I think most terrorist groups are driven by a belief that their particular ethno-cultural group is being unjustly persecuted by some other group (i.e. ``those big bad Western countries are waging a religious war against traditional Islam'' or ``those big bad government types are trying to convert the good old US of A into a United Nations-controlled police state'').

I think terrorist groups would avoid using viral weaponry because:

1. Releasing a deadly virus whose spread is impossible to control is quite likely to hurt some of your own people.
  2. Releasing a deadly virus is unlikely to significantly influence the military response capabilities of your enemies (they are well-equipped and high tech, and their military and intelligence personnel will be among the first vaccinated once a cure is found, and among the best protected before a cure is found).
  3. Releasing a deadly virus lacks the flashiness and the sense of control that is necessary to recruit more people to your cause.

Security guru Bruce Schneier has a good essay on why there are relatively few terror attacks, I think some of his arguments are pertinent to the dangers of bioterrorism. (He has a lot of good essays on terrorism and security.)

• 2 weeks later...