Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jessica Heeringa kidnapped from gas station

Ghost Ship

Investigators have released a sketch of a suspect wanted for the abduction of a 25-year-old woman last seen working a night shift at a Michigan gas station.Jessica Heeringa, the mother of a 3-year-old boy, disappeared around 11:15 p.m. April 26 from the Sternberg Rd. Exxon location in Norton Shores.

Since Heeringa went missing, authorities have collected hundreds of tips, established a $15,000 reward, released surveillance footage and distributed a suspect image.Shelly Heeringa, Jessica's mother, is hopeful that the artist rendering will bring her daughter back, she told WZZM."I actually think it's a pretty good sketch and that there's some features on it that maybe don't look exactly like him, but his features--and I'm hoping the features will stand out--like the hair, the close-set eyes," she said.

9v9xrq.jpg

11t1u7d.jpg

HER FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/FindJessicaHeeringa

Cont...

http://www.huffingto..._n_3201369.html

Jessica Heeringa case still very much solvable, Norton Shores police chief says

http://www.mlive.com...e_still_ve.html

Edited by Twin Peaks

Hope they do find her alive and well. Was there a surveillance camera? Gas stations usually have them.

Jessica Heeringa update: Exxon station didn't have cameras!

Update: The search for Jessica Heeringa is heating up, but there are some disturbing details coming to light that may hinder the search for the missing woman. On April 28, 2013 the Daily Mail reported that there were no surveillance cameras at the Exxon station where the abduction of the Norton Shores, Mich. woman took place. So not only was this young petite woman working by herself in the middle of the night at this relatively remote store, she was not even protected by security cameras -- which might have deterred an assailant from abducting her like what happened.

Cont...

http://www.examiner.com/article/jessica-heeringa-update-exxon-station-didn-t-have-cameras

Without any more clues and a shaky eyewitness account, this is a difficult one.

I wonder if the eyewitness was ever a suspect?

Christian VanAntwerpen, who works nearby and believes he possibly witnessed Heeringa speaking with her alleged abductor, didn't find the interaction overly suspicious until he learned she was missing.

"It just seemed to me that this was just another guy hitting on her, or whatever, because she was an attractive girl," VanAntwerpen told ABC News.

I would like to know what work he was doing at around 11 that night, and thats a pretty detailed description of the suspects face by VanAntwerpen. If he had seen the suspect talking to her then I would imagine the suspect was not facing his way, and it does not sound as if he was following his movements, cos if he had been, he would have seen him abduct her? So how could he have such a clear description?

And who definitely had known there was no cameras around, VanAntwerpen would have known this, he knew the "attractive girl" was working alone.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

She's very pretty .He's completely creepy .Not a good combination :(

fd6q1j.jpg

Well as robbery is not the motive, then the girl was. As mentioned, the majority of stations have cameras, so for an outsider to take a chance of kidnapping a girl, not knowing if there anyone else around and not taking the opportunity of taking money too, is very highly unlikely.

This sounds like it was someone who knew the "attractive" girl, knew there were no cameras, knew the place was customer free at the time, knew there was no one in the back, and knew how to get away safely....someone maybe who worked nearby??

his eyes are too close together, hes creeeepy!

hope she gets found soon

Sorry, but that sketch looks like something from a middle school art fair.

I really hope they find whoever did this...and that the mom is returned safe and sound to her little one.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

This is just so sad. I have been to a service station which is a short distance from my house and right by a state highway on-ramp and I've thought in what serious danger these people are in.

However, please tell me why do we see again and again, "police failed to protect the crime scene." It seems actually more unique when you find that LE has acted as if they have had even a shred of training in what to do. Please tell me. What are these people thinking ? It almost seems they get as excited as any lay person would when they come upon a crime scene and all trained thought processes leaves their minds entirely.

No struggle talked about, working in a gas station w/ a 3 year old child at home and a boyfriend who was recently laid off, and all of them living w/ her mother hints at financial trouble and stress. She's young, shes pretty, she knows she has options in the world.

My guess is this isn't a kidnapping, it's her leaving.

This is just so sad. I have been to a service station which is a short distance from my house and right by a state highway on-ramp and I've thought in what serious danger these people are in.

Yes, and the same thoughts cross my mind.

I looked up the location (1196 E. Sternburg Rd., Norton Shores, Michigan) and I was stunned at how isolated it actually is. There's one business directly next door, but it appears to be an automotive shop, so I would think it would be closed at 11:00pm. There's a strip mall way behind and to the other side, and the business across the street (maybe 4 lane?) is a considerable distance back from the road.

Anyway, this young girl was especially vulnerable, and I have it in mind to write to whoever owns/manages that Exxon and ask what the hell is up no surveillance cameras! That's B.S.! :td:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

How many times does this crap have to happen before people start taking resonable measures on this? Surveillance cameras should be a must and night shifts should have locked doors and more than one person on board. . .especially if its a female. . .the outcome to this one will not be good. . .

Edited by timewarrior

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my best friends works at a Gas Station and often works shifts alone. And oh boy, she has had some real creeps come into her store. But when she is alone at night she locks the doors and only serves people through the side window. Her boss would like to give her a co-worker to be with but Corporate sets the amount of hours the store gets so he can't  give her a coworker. 

In this case, I think she knew the person, maybe someone she had a relationship with at some point. Or someone who had thought up a relationship when she was just being friendly with them. 

I ve seen this case on ID, it came out it was the boy friend that was at home with their child.

I watched the Dateline presentation of the case and I remember that the detective expressed the notion that there were just too darned many silver vans in Michigan to investigate the registered owners of each and every one...

...Then I came across articles reporting that a Willis neighbor remembers that during the Heeringa disappearance case, Willis' vehicle was searched by authorities.

Here's one such article.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/muskegon/man-arrested-in-connection-to-muskegon-county-attempted-kidnapping/198956552

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

I believe she was abducted by a stranger who didn't know her. And she didn't know him. I get a feeling it was indeed that guy in the link you posted regi. It's too bad the authorities can't inject kidnapping suspects with truth serum. 

Edited by Ghost Ship
Spelling
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

I believe she was abducted by a stranger who didn't know her. And she didn't know him. I get a feeling it was indeed that guy in the link you posted regi. It's too bad the authorities can't inject kidnapping suspects with truth serum. 

You know, authorities are also looking into a possible connection with an unsolved case from '96.

http://woodtv.com/2016/05/26/family-police-looking-1996-death-in-willis-investigation/

• 2 weeks later...