Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disappearing orange glowing light

Leslie_1978

One night my son and I saw a big orange glowing light going straight up into the atmosphere. It went up to about the distance/height of the clouds then it sped up really fast then vanished. It didnt vanish because it got too far away,it just vanished. Like a light bulb being turned off. U.F.O.??? Or,weather balloon???

• Like 1

One night my son and I saw a big orange glowing light going straight up into the atmosphere. It went up to about the distance/height of the clouds then it sped up really fast then vanished. It didnt vanish because it got too far away,it just vanished. Like a light bulb being turned off. U.F.O.??? Or,weather balloon???

I'm not sure what you expect anyone to suggest... It just sounds very odd to me, and a number of questions arise in my mind..

- 'One night'?? Why not say how recent this was and/or give a date, time, location? Were you out looking at the sky, or just going somewhere - how did it come to your attention and how well were your eyes attuned to the dark?

- What do you mean by 'big'? Often folks refer to 'huge' balls of light at night, when in fact they are tiny - it's the brightness that makes them big. Was it extremely bright? - you used the term 'glowing' and that doesn't sound overly bright.. So presumably it was truly 'big' and had well defined edges? - and you should be able to say it was, say, half as big as the Moon or whatever.. If it was big, did it not have any 'surface' details or brightness variations? All that sort of stuff was missing from your description, and that sort of omission is not promising..

- How could you know how high it was? Once something is more than about 500m away from you at night, there are very few useful clues to its distance. Exactly how did you come to that conclusion - you didn't mention it being in front of/behind or going through clouds, and again, adding that now will sound like you are simply fixing up problems in your initial report..

- How fast is 'really fast' and did it change direction? That is meaningless unless you compare it to, say, the sort of angular speed that an aircraft might make as it goes overhead at high altitude. The only clue is that you suggested a weather balloon - if that was serious, then it obviously wasn't all that fast. If it wasn't serious, well...

And was no-one else there? Did you not ring up your local news, or police, talk to neighbours? Did you see anything in your local press about it? Was there perhaps a fire of any kind in that region? Do you live near to RC clubs, airports, meteorological stations? Is this near a town or city? Could this have been, say, a sky lantern, or a large piece of cardboard/cloth/plastic that was on fire (or glowing)..?

In essence, there are way too many questions and it's way too short a description.

First of all I said 'one night' because I dont remember the date we seen it. It was just one night last year. In the Summer,July I think. And it was 'glowing' as I said before. I don't how you expect me to be too specific with details considering I have never seen anything like it before. I don't care who believes me or not. I know I saw something strange that I can't explain well...thats it plain and simple.

So it wasn't worth your time to answer the other questions, or perhaps ask your son to help?

Not worth any more of mine, then.

The description of the object suggests fire lantern.