Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Waspie_Dwarf

I haven't bothered following all the interminable threads on those subjects, but what, then, is your opinion about those? Were they (all together now) False Flags, then, to give Obama and/or the NWO an excuse to Take Away America's Guns, or is there some new theory?

Well I felt all along the mass shootings were all geared to get guns out of our hands.

I didn't not get the marathon . What purpose could such a false flag serve. I didn't even question,despite some odd inaccuracies involving the brothers alleged actions . I just didn't see a why to doing such a thing,and I assumed it was all real , until I saw the photo op guy in the wheelchair .

I'm not even going to go into why so much of the pix are wrong ,but that,was nothing more than a photo op .

And I looked up Boston's ems protocols . They weren't followed at all . Possible bombs or not .

Now every time we look around ,another bomb story . Never saw so many bomb stories in my life .

I think its to start legislation about now controlling gun powder and bomb making parts .

No guns,no way to make bombs ....we are back to wooden spears and sling shots

• Like 3

"We're from the government, and we're here to help you." What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing at all... The government has a flawless record of never screwing anything up, never lying, never doing anything illegal, and most certainly never plotting against it's citizens... ;)

Hmm disarm citizens.. That's a common robbery practice...

"This is a stick up, nobody move, faces down!"

"Alright, I want all weapons on the floor and pushed towards me"

^ Usually leads to small hostage situations.

One of the best hostage situations ever is.. Cuba..

"Weapons, What for?! The government and the military will protect you!"

^Shortly after that speech, the entire country was held hostage... And remains hostage even today. lol

We the people have not be given proper reason to be suspicious of the government.. Not at all, it's not like our leaders are trying to push the same speech on us or anything.. ;)

I'm going to ask a question, because speaking out and analyzing the problems is as resolved, and I'm willing to do whatever is within reach of my hand to solve them must be resolved as: with reason and intelligence, and the influence of public opinion, which is the boss, not hard, because if you were to believe in the force, which had to be resolved by force, there would have to talk to the people, or to put to this problem, but go search for these weapons (applause).

And what to look for here is that the revolutionary fighters, idealistic men who can be fooled with this maneuver, forsake the false libertarians who are in that position and come to take the side of the people, which is where they have to serve rather than nothing.

I am going to ask a question: Weapons for?, Why fight whom?, Against the revolutionary government, which has the support of all the people? (Shouts of "No!") Is it the same ruling Judge Urrutia Batista Republic ruling the Republic? (Shouts of "No!") Weapons for, what, no dictatorship here? (Shouts of "No!") Going to fight against a free government that respects the rights of the people? (Shouts of "No!"), Now that there is no censorship, and that the press is entirely free, freer than it has ever been, and has also assured that it will continue for ever, without have censorship here again? (Applause)? Today, that all people can meet freely?,? Today that no torture or political prisoners, nor murders, nor terror?,? Today that there is only joy, that all leaders are traitors been dismissed in the unions, and to be immediately convene union elections at all? (Applause) When all citizens' rights have been restored, when you go to call an election in the shortest period of time possible, is weapons, for, what, hide weapons, why? Why blackmail the President?, Why threaten to break the peace here?, Why create organizations gangsters? Are we going to return to gangsterism, is it that we will return to daily shooting on the streets of the capital? Weapons?, Why?

But I tell you that two days ago were elements of a given organization headquarters, who was the San Antonio headquarters, barracks which was under the jurisdiction of the commander Camilo Cienfuegos and under the jurisdiction of mine, as Commander in Chief of all forces , and weapons that were gathered there took them, took 500 guns and six machine guns and 80,000 bullets (shouts of "To look for").

Original Transcripts Courtesy: http://www.cuba.cu/g...p/f080159e.html

Translations Courtesy: http://translate.google.com

Same exact logic as: Banning assault rifles, because we seemingly don't need them, our police will protect us and our liberties...

Edited by xFelix
  • Like 3

You gotta hand it to Castro though ... he is Orator first class ... if back in Rome the senate would have made him dictator and given him a shiny new crown ...

• Like 2

So are people going to obssessively push this absurd Obama/Castro analogy everywhere they possibly can now?

• Like 1

I sure hope not. By the way, because I don't speak Spanish I haven't done more than read his speeches, and I found them long. His delivery appears hysterical, but then that is not uncommon when one doesn't know what is being said.

Frank ... I think you're mistaking Little Fidel with Little Adolf .... either that or you think that the Cubans are too stupid to tie their own shoe laces after knowing what know about WW2 and Nazism

Perhaps one thing ol' Fidel does demonstrate very eloquently is just how effective the U.S.'s Sanctions are, if someone doesn't try to push their luck with bluster like Saddam. They've been steadfastly pretending that there's no such place as Cuba (apart, obviously, from the small corner that the U.S. uses for its Concentration Camp) since 1959, confident that if they pretend there's no such place long enough, then the Communist regime in Cuba will be overthrown.

We're still waiting .... :innocent:

:blush:

• Like 1

I don't think US sanctions have had much effect one way or the other except for giving Castro an excuse for the failures of the Cuban economy. It shows to me the importance, if one is to have a one-party state, of having term limits or, at a minimum, a mandatory retirement age.

I think in the States Castro is a bogeyman for right-wingers to attack the Left with and Hitler serves the same role for left-wingers to attack the Right.

• Like 2

With maybe the exception of a few African states where coups are still possible, if a dictator is determined enough and smart enough, he cannot be overthrown except by external intervention. The levers of power and available technology nowadays are such that it should not be expected to happen otherwise.

Perhaps one thing ol' Fidel does demonstrate very eloquently is just how effective the U.S.'s Sanctions are, if someone doesn't try to push their luck with bluster like Saddam. They've been steadfastly pretending that there's no such place as Cuba (apart, obviously, from the small corner that the U.S. uses for its Concentration Camp) since 1959, confident that if they pretend there's no such place long enough, then the Communist regime in Cuba will be overthrown.

We're still waiting .... :innocent:

:blush:

You cannot overthrow a government that is well armed and equipped, by way of unarmed citizens. Whoever believes such to be possible is either really blurring the line between stupidity and retardation, or just plain does not care about whatever may happen.

So are people going to obssessively push this absurd Obama/Castro analogy everywhere they possibly can now?

The only absurd thing is when you realize that analogy is based on facts.. Unless you would like to show us how facts are absurd? ;)

Yes, I did use Fidel twice, even in two separate threads. This is because I find our current politics pushing more and more extreme in either direction without remembering that there is a line that must not be crossed. In our more recent political ventures we seem to be pulling more towards declaring civil war rather than just agreeing that we must compromise for the good of the people. The media constantly depicts how religious fanatics "radicalize" and then go on to commit horrible crimes against humanity, but what they are not depicting is how our political leaders are also radicalizing their views in two separate directions, and are becoming completely unwilling to submit to bipartisan resolution on most agendas.

This radicalization is just making the lives of the common people a living hell.

Edited by xFelix
  • Like 2

It wouldn't be fair. The statists' savior is to the left....of Castro.

• Like 1

However, as I continually say, the government doesn't always lie and not everything is a deception or conspiracy. Some things simply are what they appear to be and they can be pretty bizarre at times.

That is so true. A number of us here are involved in aviation, and that field is a classic for random events leading to disastrous outcomes. There numerous examples of where several innocent events have led to an aviation incident; to those of us who work in the industry they are quite normal and understandable.... but to others they are 'sign' that this is a conspiracy, that 'things simply don't happen that way'.

• Like 2

I'm glad you would never deny deceptions. As we both know, deception is an essential part of military strategy and tactics, as well it should be. Deceive the enemy so that success in battle might be achieved.

I can't. It's part of a great number of activities including business. I mean, have you ever met a completely honest used car salesman?

The trouble is that so many people who can make an intellectually honest statement like yours about not denying deception, have a tough time actually recognizing deceptions. Some folks cannot perceive deception, even while they acknowledge that deception is a common tactic.

Counter to that are those who see deception and conspiracies where there are none. As I've said time and time again, not everything is a lie. Not everything is a deception/conspiracy. Sadly, too many CTists can't see when things are exactly as they seem.

And IMO, that's where cognitive dissonance comes into play. The question then becomes, is any given person actually unable to perceive a particular deception, or is he just kidding himself that there was no deception?

Or that there is a deception. It works both ways, old buddy. :yes:

• Like 3

That is so true. A number of us here are involved in aviation, and that field is a classic for random events leading to disastrous outcomes. There numerous examples of where several innocent events have led to an aviation incident; to those of us who work in the industry they are quite normal and understandable.... but to others they are 'sign' that this is a conspiracy, that 'things simply don't happen that way'.

As an AE, pilot, A&P and ground instructor (Okay, inactive for a while but still), I do understand that part. The Gimli Glider is a classic example of this. :-)

I don't see where the fact of widespread deceptive practices in the world necessarily implies the truth of any of the CT theories. I have found that I am better off buying a motorbike from a "muy-ban" ("buy-sell" -- a local classified weekly) or internet ad than from a dealer. I think the deception comes more often from people making their living from the business than from the occasional seller Regardless, I still have a mechanic take a look for me.

Face appearances are highly accurate most of the time, and the burden of proof is clearly on those who would assert otherwise. The few times I've gotten interested enough in these alternative stories I have found that I am consistently directed to web pages that have a political agenda and that truth is not on the top of their list of motives.

• Like 2

I can't. It's part of a great number of activities including business. I mean, have you ever met a completely honest used car salesman?

Counter to that are those who see deception and conspiracies where there are none. As I've said time and time again, not everything is a lie. Not everything is a deception/conspiracy. Sadly, too many CTists can't see when things are exactly as they seem.

Or that there is a deception. It works both ways, old buddy. :yes:

Absolutely right--not everything is a deception. But some things are. Gulf Of Tonkin was a deception. Pat Tillman and Jessica Lynch stories were deceptions. Flight 93 at Shanksville was a deception, and now it appears that the Benghazi incident was intended to be a deception that backfired on the perps.

Curious people asking questions can also be deceived, but by continually asking questions, they are frequently able to eventually discover that they were deceived.

Flight 93 at Shanksville was a deception,...

On the contrary, United Airlines has confirmed the loss of United 93.

Text: United Airlines Statement on Plane Crashes

Following is a statement issued by United Airlines on the crash of Flight 93 near Pittsburgh and Flight 175 in a location that was not immediately disclosed:

United Airlines has now confirmed that two of its aircraft have crashed.

— UA 93, a Boeing 757 aircraft, departed from Newark, N.J. at 8:01 a.m. local time, bound for San Francisco, with 38 passengers on board, two pilots, five flight attendants.

— UA 175, a Boeing 767 aircraft, departed from Boston at 7:58 a.m. local time, bound for Los Angeles, with 56 passengers on board, two pilots and seven flight attendants.

United has confirmed it will dispatch a team to Johnstown, Pa., as soon as possible to assist, in every way possible, with the investigation and to provide assistance to the family members.

http://www.washingto..._text091101.htm

Now, what was that you were saying about United 93 as a deception?

Edited by skyeagle409

I believe the original question was why people believe in conspiracy theories. Looking at the question itself, does the question talk about people who believe in conspiracy theories more widely? Or also those who are more selective about which theories they believe?

Here's two conspiracy theories.

1. Atlantean reptiles have a mastermind 7th dimension entity that wants to enslave us all and ultimately eat our eternal mind-souls in a single grand banquet perhaps. The atlantean reptiles come from another star system and they made a hole in the both poles, and have a concealed hatch which they open and close at will. Their technology allows them to conceal the hatch and all their other operation in a way that makes this theory seem implausible for everyone except the most gullible of us.

2. Boystown's so-called benefactors like Lawrence King were involved in a systematic drug and sexual abuse ring that was covered-up by the mass media, as in taking the document telling about it off the air in the last minute. Conspiracy of Silence. Lawrence King was convicted after a long hunt by the person who drove this case to nail him, and he did after he got things in order with the witnesses, of whom at least one was allegedly killed by United States law enforcement personnel as a way to shut the witness up. That part I think is alleged, but the conviction of Lawrence King is not.

Two very different conspiracies. If I believe the second one but am a lot more reserved about believing the first one, as in "I still wanna look more into this before saying whether it's true or not" with being reserved, then can you lump me up with those who buy the first conspiracy theory as face value?

I think it would be more appropriate to ask "why do people believe in this and this kind of conspiracy theories" than why do they believe in all of them... because the level of plausibility is like a speed meter, there's lots of different degrees in it. Not just plausible and implausible. If you ask why people believe in conspiracy theories that haven't been conclusively proven, I have some amount of belief in them, not blind must-be-true belief, then I'd say because of my hunch saying this and this about certain alleged findings. Everything's alleged before you see it in your own eyes, and if you do, you might be allegedly a schizophreniac who's adapted to society.

• Like 3

Mikko

I always assume that most people are as selective as you are about what you might believe, or not. Everybody knows a person can be lied to by another, so beware of what you're told. Buyer beware and caveat emptor.

And for me, I'm especially that way about government statements and stories. I'm getting old. :-*

• Like 1

And for me, I'm especially that way about government statements and stories. I'm getting old. :-*

Beware of those conspiracy web sites.

Seems that way Babe, people tend to have a good head on their shoulders no matter what they say at times. Who knows if the atlantean conspiracy I gave as an example wouldn't be true, but it's pretty hard to tie down to reality compared to the second one, so the relative weight of proof seems far bigger on the second one.

Beware of those conspiracy web sites.

This one? :cry:

Mikko is right. You would have to be naive to believe in some conspiracy theories, but you would have to be stupid to *not* believe in others. The historical record is full of conspiracy facts (from Caesar to Fawkes to Lincoln to Sadat). Like Mikko believes, it's wrong to put all of them in the same "woo" category.

• Like 1

Here's two conspiracy theories.

1. Atlantean reptiles have a mastermind 7th dimension entity that wants to enslave us all and ultimately eat our eternal mind-souls in a single grand banquet perhaps. The atlantean reptiles come from another star system and they made a hole in the both poles, and have a concealed hatch which they open and close at will. Their technology allows them to conceal the hatch and all their other operation in a way that makes this theory seem implausible for everyone except the most gullible of us.

2. Boystown's so-called benefactors like Lawrence King were involved in a systematic drug and sexual abuse ring that was covered-up by the mass media, as in taking the document telling about it off the air in the last minute. Conspiracy of Silence. Lawrence King was convicted after a long hunt by the person who drove this case to nail him, and he did after he got things in order with the witnesses, of whom at least one was allegedly killed by United States law enforcement personnel as a way to shut the witness up. That part I think is alleged, but the conviction of Lawrence King is not.

Obviously the first is absolutely true while the second is a total fabrication. Anyone can see that. :whistle:

• Like 1

400555_198316773599678_718236560_n.jpg

the ultimate conspiracy trap ...

• Like 5

400555_198316773599678_718236560_n.jpg

the ultimate conspiracy trap ...

Turn that into a tattoo. If not, put the phrase on an index card, and glue or tape it to your bathroom mirror. We all have our own "political club", but some issues transcend our habit of pennant-waving. That's especially true when our clubs face an existential threat from a third party.