Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World’s first 3D-printer gun fired

Still Waters

The world's first gun made with 3D printer technology has been successfully fired in the US.

The controversial group which created the firearm, Defense Distributed, plans to make the blueprints available online.

The group has spent a year trying to create the firearm, which was successfully tested on Saturday at a firing range south of Austin, Texas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-22421185

• Like 1

The gun was made on a 3D printer that cost $8,000 (£5,140) from the online auction site eBay.

It was assembled from separate printed components made from ABS plastic - only the firing pin was made from metal.

Mr Wilson, who describes himself as a crypto-anarchist, said his plans to make the design available were "about liberty".

He told the BBC: "There is a demand of guns - there just is. There are states all over the world that say you can't own firearms - and that's not true anymore.

"I'm seeing a world where technology says you can pretty much be able to have whatever you want. It's not up to the political players any more."

Asked if he felt any sense of responsibility about whose hands the gun might fall into, he told the BBC: "I recognise the tool might be used to harm other people - that's what the tool is - it's a gun.

"But I don't think that's a reason to not do it - or a reason not to put it out there."

:tu:

Now you will have to go through a background check for a 3D printer.

• 2 months later...

They're able to print fully automatic assault rifles now. The most efficient ones can last roughly 600~ shots before the firing mechanism breaks.

Vice documentary on them:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by DKO

Could of made something better

I think I read that NASA tested a rocket part that was produced by a 3D printer, maybe not better or any more exciting but i think its actually frightening that componants to sophisticated machinary can be sent over the web and printed out in a matter of minutes.

http://www.space.com/22001-3d-printed-rocket-engine-part-test.html

Good perhaps for covert ops, but it will never replace steel at this stage of technology. It poses a danger to the user if it fails and it poses a danger to security for obvious reasons. Since the average person does not have access to a 3-D printer, it does not seen particularly wise to put the plans on the internet; more likely governmental agencies in other nations will be interested in using or improving this tech and not necessarily to our benefit.

I'm all for freedom of information but like the line from Jurassic Park, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

I think 3D printing is pretty cool. It opens the doors wide open to many applications especially my field "health". The other day I read an article about using 3D technology in creating a cast for broken bones which really way way way better than the normal heavy cast. Thanks for sharing.

A woman had her jaw bone replaced with one made by titanium in a 3D printer. Awesome future for the technology.

nohttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16907104

These guys making the guns with 3D printers aren't trying to make guns that will replace steel guns. Just showing the potential.

But I remember years ago when these 3D printers started coming out. They could only print basic models, then a few years later I saw a video of an adjustable spanner being made with one. Now fully automated rifles.