Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Great Global Food Gap

ouija ouija

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319825/The-great-global-food-gap-Families-world-photographed-weekly-shopping-reveal-cost-ranges-3-20-320.html?ICO=most_read_module

This article is mainly made up of photos of families from around the world posing with a week's worth of food ...... with how much it costs them. Personally, I find it fascinating(and sad), to see the differences, especially when I think of some of the 'debates' I've been involved in here about what constitutes healthy eating! Bit depressing to see so much Coca Cola on show ..... even in the poor households.

Of course it's difficult to make a proper comparison because there are so many variables involved: wages, availability of 'free' food(homegrown or hunted/fished), local climate, local availability of food, local food prices etc. etc. Some families apparently survive on little more than bread or rice.

• Like 1

That was something. Some people exist on grains while lots of people buy that coke and pizza. Such a variation in what was spent to. I wouldn't mind eating with the Japanese for a week, liked the looks of that fish as long as it wasn't raw.

• Like 2

Suddenly I realize how well we eat at home. I instituted a "minimum refined sugar and salt" rule and what a difference it's been making. Neither of us can finish a can of Coke now - it's too sweet!

Makes me uncomfortable seeing that black family loaded with pizzas and Coke...can't possibly be good for growing minds :unsure2:

By the way, food is stupid expensive here. We regularly spend ~$150/week to feed just two of us!

• Like 3

If you didn't see the people, but just the food for each, you could easily see with countries had an obesity problem.

(Mongolia looks pretty damn good)

• Like 3