Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1 in 5 brit house holds borrowed money to eat

OverSword

From the article:

While GBP jumped and the world celebrated the UK's recent avoidance (for now) of a triple-dip recession (defined on GDP as opposed to reality), the situation in the island nation appears to be going from bad to worse. As Carney takes over the reigns of this once mighty nation he faces a country deeply divided. As the BBC reports, while London real estate prices smash old records, a stunning one-in-five households borrowed money or used savings to cover the costs of food in April. This is the equivalent of five million households unable to fund their food via income alone. Over 80% of these people are concerned about rising food prices (just as print-meister Carney is about to go 'Abe' on them) and almost 60% find it difficult to cope on their current incomes. The director of the consumer group 'Which?', noted that "many households are stretched to their financial breaking point," as "families face a cost of living crisis." While equity and real estate prices hit all-time highs, the opposition sums up the country's feeling, "this incompetent government needs to wake up to the human cost of their failed economic policies."

Over one-third of Britons "feel squeezed"...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-05/recovery-one-five-britons-borrow-money-afford-eat

• Like 4

That's not good to have to borrow money to eat. Just shows you how much trouble the world is really in or at least part of it. Food and housing is becoming more expensive all the time but most people's salaries aren't keeping up with it.

• Like 4

In the county I live in(population 532,000), in one small town the need for food handouts went from less than 10 families in 2011, to 2,180 meals being handed out in 2hrs in one day in 2013!! I honestly find it hard to believe at times that this is the 21st century :cry:

• Like 3

no way. Its simply not true - who are these people? are they taking advantage of free food that charities hand out?. even on minimum benefits people can still buy food. the article is a load of crap.

• Like 5

no way. Its simply not true - who are these people? are they taking advantage of free food that charities hand out?. even on minimum benefits people can still buy food. the article is a load of crap.

Plenty of working people are borrowing money to get by and eat...reason it's food that is last on the list and therefore needing extra money to buy it is because people know that paying all there main bills, which are 99% of the time on direct debit, is the main priority since defaulting means bank charges that put you further in arrears. I know plenty of working people who use their cards for food shopping, then end up with the minimum payment on that being another priority bill, hence going round in circles..

• Like 2

Have to agree with stevewinn on this.

if you shop around you can buy food which is not expensive. One thing which is costing people the money is fuel and car running costs,, but you will not see them giving up their cars, even in the towns.

These 1 in 5 households, did the study ask them if they have fridge freezers, how many t.v`s do they have, how many xbox`s and do their kids all wear the top brand trainers, do they all possess a mobile phone and a computer?

I do not disagree that there are people out there who are finding things very tough and some do need to borrow money, but 1 in 5? absolute tosh!

• Like 6

The thing that gets me with reports like this, is where is the rest of the money going?

Yes there are probably some people who genuinely don't have enough cash for their food so have to borrow money. However, there are probably lots of people borrowing money to pay for food.... AFTER paying their sky broadband, AFTER paying their mobile phone contract, AFTER buying their cigarettes or having that night out partying etc.

If they are borrowing money because they are genuinely that skint they cannot afford food, then yes I do feel bad for them. However if they haven't got enough money for food because they are first spending it on luxuries they could live without then I don't feel bad for them at all and it's their own fault.

I have all these kind of luxuries. I have internet at home, a mobile phone etc. While I don't really drink I enjoy a meal out or cinema with the hubby. I spend money every month on going to the gym. However, if I could not afford simple things like food then these would have to go. Some people seem to put food way down their list of priorities!

Have to agree with stevewinn on this.

if you shop around you can buy food which is not expensive. One thing which is costing people the money is fuel and car running costs,, but you will not see them giving up their cars, even in the towns.

These 1 in 5 households, did the study ask them if they have fridge freezers, how many t.v`s do they have, how many xbox`s and do their kids all wear the top brand trainers, do they all possess a mobile phone and a computer?

I do not disagree that there are people out there who are finding things very tough and some do need to borrow money, but 1 in 5? absolute tosh!

Posted at the same time saying pretty much the same lol.

• Like 3

Plenty of working people are borrowing money to get by and eat...reason it's food that is last on the list and therefore needing extra money to buy it is because people know that paying all there main bills, which are 99% of the time on direct debit, is the main priority since defaulting means bank charges that put you further in arrears. I know plenty of working people who use their cards for food shopping, then end up with the minimum payment on that being another priority bill, hence going round in circles..

People need to learn how to budget better its as simple as that. If people are struggling to find money, its simple. go to the bank and cancel any direct debts that are not for water or gas. im starting to get fed up of stories appearing in the left wing media about people struggling like this article on here, which is a load of crap. - and when you look into it its their own fault. listen if people cannot sit down with a pen and paper and work out their incoming and outgoing and adjust accordingly then they deserve to starve. Darwin in all its glory.

• Like 4

People need to learn how to budget better its as simple as that. If people are struggling to find money, its simple. go to the bank and cancel any direct debts that are not for water or gas. im starting to get fed up of stories appearing in the left wing media about people struggling like this article on here, which is a load of crap. - and when you look into it its their own fault. listen if people cannot sit down with a pen and paper and work out their incoming and outgoing and adjust accordingly then they deserve to starve. Darwin in all its glory.

I guess it's down to what you see around you, you see different to me. Most of my mates earn low wages (15k - 25k bracket)...after rent/mortgage, council tax, water rates, gas and electric, that's there monthly wage gone, most have cards to get by with other stuff (like food) till things pick up again. You can't do much about having to pay the above bills, they have to be paid no matter what...I suppose they could sell their car/s, but then they'd have to give up work, so that's not really a good idea either.

The article said 1/5 couldn't pay their food bill with their normal wages in the month of April, I don't know if that figure is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

• Like 1

I guess it's down to what you see around you, you see different to me. Most of my mates earn low wages (15k - 25k bracket)...after rent/mortgage, council tax, water rates, gas and electric, that's there monthly wage gone, most have cards to get by with other stuff (like food) till things pick up again. You can't do much about having to pay the above bills, they have to be paid no matter what...I suppose they could sell their car/s, but then they'd have to give up work, so that's not really a good idea either.

The article said 1/5 couldn't pay their food bill with their normal wages in the month of April, I don't know if that figure is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

they need financial advice because to earn a min of £15,000 and struggle simply points to the fact they are living a lifestyle they cannot afford. part of the clue is contained within your reply. they have cards to get by? be it debit or the more likely credit card. making matters worse. give their heads a wobble.

• Like 3

they need financial advice because to earn a min of £15,000 and struggle simply points to the fact they are living a lifestyle they cannot afford. part of the clue is contained within your reply. they have cards to get by? be it debit or the more likely credit card. making matters worse. give their heads a wobble.

Ok, i'll break it down for you:

15k a yr equates to around a grand a month after stoppages, average rent around here is 5 - 600 a month, 100 a month for council tax, about 80 quid a month combined for fuel bills, water rates (last time I checked) was about 280 a year, so another 20-25quid a month, ....that's 800 gone before you run your car to get to work, and buy food, essentials etc....that's ignoring all the stuff like tv license, landline phone bill, mobile, or any other 'luxury'...hence a lot of people need cards etc make up the difference every month until things pick up.

They don't need their heads shaking, they need to earn more money, but the overtime isn't there so they can't until things improve.

Yes, a load of BBC liberal-left crap!

Benefits are measured to give people enough to feed, clothe themselves and pay their bills. The state does not pay for alcohol, cigarettes or for peoples drug addictions. Maybe if those families got their priorities right their kids wouldnt be starving.

• Like 2

Maybe they should stop snorting coke and getting drunk every night lol.

Ok, i'll break it down for you:

15k a yr equates to around a grand a month after stoppages, average rent around here is 5 - 600 a month, 100 a month for council tax, about 80 quid a month combined for fuel bills, water rates (last time I checked) was about 280 a year, so another 20-25quid a month, ....that's 800 gone before you run your car to get to work, and buy food, essentials etc....that's ignoring all the stuff like tv license, landline phone bill, mobile, or any other 'luxury'...hence a lot of people need cards etc make up the difference every month until things pick up.

They don't need their heads shaking, they need to earn more money, but the overtime isn't there so they can't until things improve.

Someone working full time and only earning £15k a year would be entitled to working tax credits. Assuming they were solely resposonsible for the council tax bill they would recieve 25% discount and if paying between 500-600 a month rent it's likely they would recieve a little something towards rent in housing benefits payment.

Cars are blooming expensive. I drive a 40 mile round trip to and from work, having a car is still a luxury. I could do it cheaper by getting train and bus pass.

I certainly wouldn't want to have to use public transport, but if it was that or getting in to debt just to eat, I'd do it.

• Like 2

Someone working full time and only earning £15k a year would be entitled to working tax credits. Assuming they were solely resposonsible for the council tax bill they would recieve 25% discount and if paying between 500-600 a month rent it's likely they would recieve a little something towards rent in housing benefits payment.

Cars are blooming expensive. I drive a 40 mile round trip to and from work, having a car is still a luxury. I could do it cheaper by getting train and bus pass.

I certainly wouldn't want to have to use public transport, but if it was that or getting in to debt just to eat, I'd do it.

Would they? I don't get working tax credits, yet my takings for the last financial year wasn't much more then that, I don't get council tax relief, or anything.

Having a car isn't a luxury if you start at 6am, 15 miles from home, and there isn't public transport running there...it's essential to continue having a job.

Would they? I don't get working tax credits, yet my takings for the last financial year wasn't much more then that, I don't get council tax relief, or anything.

Having a car isn't a luxury if you start at 6am, 15 miles from home, and there isn't public transport running there...it's essential to continue having a job.

Yeah, it would be through an application for income support for low income. Probably not much, like £20-£30 a week but enough for a small bit of shopping if someone was struggling enough.

There is no council tax benefit now I believe, but if a person lives alone, they should be entitled for 25% off the total council tax - at least they do here in Leeds, I'd assumed all councils would offer the same but might be worth checking.

Also if someone lives alone, things like possibly having a water meter installed instead of standard rates could save money.

Admittedly, if someone started at 6am before public transport then that wouldn't be an option. When calculating for income support they do take in to consideration how much it actually takes for someone to get to work and back.

• Like 1

Yeah, it would be through an application for income support for low income. Probably not much, like £20-£30 a week but enough for a small bit of shopping if someone was struggling enough.

There is no council tax benefit now I believe, but if a person lives alone, they should be entitled for 25% off the total council tax - at least they do here in Leeds, I'd assumed all councils would offer the same but might be worth checking.

Also if someone lives alone, things like possibly having a water meter installed instead of standard rates could save money.

Admittedly, if someone started at 6am before public transport then that wouldn't be an option. When calculating for income support they do take in to consideration how much it actually takes for someone to get to work and back.

Never knew that. I wouldn't claim myself anyway, i'd just rather not, and don't need too.

My point about the article was that the figures wouldn't surprise me based on the people I know...I should also point out, they not complaining either, just saying that they do juggle the money around (including a credit card) in order to cover everything every month. If they could earn more they would, and when they can will no doubt get back in the black again.

• Like 1

Thats not a bad wage bracket to fall in, on average 20k then? not bad at all unless you live in Queensway.

If they are paying that much rent and council tax each, then maybe they should look at sharing.

Cards are a bad state of affairs to be in if they are finding it difficult already. Do you know what they bought on the cards?

Cars are luxuries unless they are living out in the sticks. Many people will use public transport to get to work because its cheaper. I remember the time when not having a car meant you were not well off, but that was for people who had access to public transport, the others would work closer to home. We know times have changed, but my point those who are genuinely poor and borrowing money to buy food are not likely to have a car in the first place.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Thats not a bad wage bracket to fall in, on average 20k then? not bad at all unless you live in Queensway.

If they are paying that much rent and council tax each, then maybe they should look at sharing.

Cards are a bad state of affairs to be in if they are finding it difficult already. Do you know what they bought on the cards?

Cars are luxuries unless they are living out in the sticks. Many people will use public transport to get to work because its cheaper. I remember the time when not having a car meant you were not well off, but that was for people who had access to public transport, the others would work closer to home. We know times have changed, but my point those who are genuinely poor and borrowing money to buy food are not likely to have a car in the first place.

They couldn't share, they have families of their own...and I wouldn't know exactly what they spend on their cards, because I would never ask them, not my business. :)

20k a year, for a single earner in the South is nothing, it's certainly not a good wage, it's an existable (is that even a word) wage, but not a good one. That earning bracket for them is mainly warehouse work, those jobs run either 3 shift or continental shift, so other then every third week when you're on 2-10, public transport isn't an option. From memory I think one works about 9miles away from work, but 3 other mates work 22miles away (travelling from West Malling in Kent to print company near the Dartford crossing bridge - they work 3 shift).

It's not as easy as people are making out.

Edited by Sky Scanner
  • Like 1

They couldn't share, they have families of their own...and I wouldn't know exactly what they spend on their cards, because I would never ask them, not my business. :)

20k a year, for a single earner in the South is nothing, it's certainly not a good wage, it's an existable (is that even a word) wage, but not a good one. That earning bracket for them is mainly warehouse work, those jobs run either 3 shift or continental shift, so other then every third week when you're on 2-10, public transport isn't an option. From memory I think one works about 9miles away from work, but 3 other mates work 22miles away (travelling from West Malling in Kent to print company near the Dartford crossing bridge - they work 3 shift).

It's not as easy as people are making out.

It is not as easy as people make out, I know. But its not as bad as the report makes out either. 20k is not a bad wage, now that many companies are doing the "minimum wage" thing to many new employees, 20k is not bad at all.

They can`t be doing that bad if they have families of their own because if they were really struggling, they could get help, and I do not mean get another credit card, Moon Gazer has explained it.

I agree there are families who are struggling out there, no dispute there, but 1 in 5 borrowing money for food...nah, not having that. More like struggling for food after paying for their luxuries first :no:

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

It is not as easy as people make out, I know. But its not as bad as the report makes out either. 20k is not a bad wage, now that many companies are doing the "minimum wage" thing to many new employees, 20k is not bad at all.

They can`t be doing that bad if they have families of their own because if they were really struggling, they could get help, and I do not mean get another credit card, Moon Gazer has explained it.

I agree there are families who are struggling out there, no dispute there, but 1 in 5 borrowing money for food...nah, not having that. More like struggling for food after paying for their luxuries first :no:

lol...ok freetoroam....i'll let them know they doing ok really, or to get some hand-outs from the state if they're not.

As for the article title, I have no idea why it is titled that way, since it doesn't show that figure in the survey.

• Like 1

Perhaps the report incuded people who had to borrow for just one week's food because an unexpected expense appeared? Or maybe just had to beg one meal from a friend during the month quoted. What about immigrants(legal or otherwise)? I know there are foreign seasonal workers in this county who live off the vegetables they are payed to pick.

Looking at the wider picture: is it really healthy for a country to hold a large proportion of it's population in a state of simply surviving? A state of having little more than a roof over their head and just enough food to keep them alive? Is it any wonder people take to drugs(and I include prescription drugs, cigarettes, alcohol)? And before you say 'They can get a job' ....... where are all these jobs? There was a news item recently about a new Tesco store opening .... thousands of people applied for each available job!

For those who are dismissive of the scale of the problem I would just say: keep an eye on it ...... because it is getting worse, fast.

I am on benefits now and the money I receive covers rent, limited electricity, water, some Council Tax, clothes, my landline and broadband, food and toiletries. Items I haven't got because I can't afford them: car, mobile phone, television, cigarettes, alcohol, meals out, haircuts(I use birthday money for that), visits to my son, insurance, social events, a pet, you name it I can't afford it! And yes, life is bloody miserable and not worth living most of the time.

• Like 1

It's a blog piece by an american from an article on the BBC website based on a survey of 2000 people. I think we can take this with a pinch of salt.

It's the typical BBC response to government cuts.

And just to make sure the message gets across, for good measure they end the article :-

Mary Creagh, Labour's shadow environment secretary, said the UK was facing a "growing epidemic of hidden hunger".

"This incompetent government needs to wake up to the human cost of their failed economic policies and change course now," she added.

I wonder if the irony was intentional?

(p.s. look at some of the public replies at the bottom of the BBC article for a more realistic view).

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

Who thinks up these crap statements ?..I live quite happily on about 12k per year,have a car,have sky t.v. pay all my bills including council tax on time,eat a cooked meal every night and have enough change to go to the Movies twice a month,so these people must be gambling or chucking money at the pub,for which I have no sympathy.If you cant afford it,dont buy it.

• Like 6

Not sure where these people get their stats from. makes you wonder if they go to Center Point to do their surveys sometimes!

• Like 2