Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Three US women missing for years found alive

CuriousLittleOne

Amanda Berry disappeared aged 16 in 2003, while Gina DeJesus went missing at the age of 14 a year later.

They and Michele Knight, 32, who vanished in 2002 at the age of 20, were found in a house in the city of Cleveland, police confirmed. All are said to be in good health in hospital.

A 52-year-old suspect has been arrested in connection with the case.

In a frantic call to police, Ms Berry identified her captor as Ariel Castro, and said she had escaped after he had left the house.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/Cleveland-police-dispatch-Missing-teens-Amanda-Berry-and-Gina-DeJesus-found-alive#ixzz2SZ7ZZkiT

(this story has made it accross the pond, im in the UK and this mornings news is flodded with the 999 call)

Edited by Saru
Added source link
  • Like 3

I was standing in a Boston Market yesterday,and some guy was on the phone with his girlfriend,freaking out . He got off the phone,and recounted this story about one of these girls ,to all of us ,who were perplexed by his aggitation on the phone . His girlfriend had been a childhood playmate of hers ,and she lived one block from where she has been found .

He said I'm sure you will hear this one the news

• Like 6

And in the meantime CNN is more interested in an interview with some guy about "Gucci" for goodness sake, how irritating.

• Like 9

Wow, you don't usually hear of good news when people have been missing for so long. I bet their families can't believe it!

It's probably going to be tough for the women now, 10 years is a very long time to be locked away. Hopefully they will get all the help and support they will need to deal with their experiences.

• Like 5

There was an article about this on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/frantic-911-call-leads-3-missing-women-ohio-084650558.html

Police said one of the brothers who was arrested, a 52-year-old, lived at the home, and the others, ages 50 and 54, lived elsewhere.

Ramsey, the neighbor, said he'd barbecued with the home's owner and never suspected anything was amiss.

"There was nothing exciting about him — well, until today," he said.

Julio Castro, who runs a grocery store half a block from where the women were found, said the homeowner arrested is his nephew, Ariel Castro.

Berry also identified Ariel Castro by name in her 911 call.

Attempts to reach Ariel Castro in jail were unsuccessful Monday. Messages to the sheriff's office and a jail spokesman went unanswered, and there was no public phone listing for the home, which was being searched by dozens of police officers and sheriff's deputies.

The uncle said Ariel Castro had worked as a school bus driver. The Cleveland school district confirmed he was a former employee but wouldn't release details.

My God!

These guys should be shot. No, scratch that. They oughta have their *you know what* cut off and burned in front of them. This is just sick....

• Like 6

There is a big buzz on the news about this and rightly so... Im getting quite interested to see how this pans out and what further details are released, especially now the FBI are involved. Reports already saying the three men involved will be likely jailed for ever. See how they like being a captive for years. :tu:

Hope may remain for other missing children, like the UK's Madeleine McCann

Some more news

http://www.dailymail...s-arrested.html

Got a feeling this story will be BIG NEWS for some time to come... especially after Boston Bombing, the US needs some good news for once

Edited by seeder
  • Like 5

I feel a little funny about wanting to know more details. 10 years is a long time. Was it constant raping? Pregnancies?

• Like 3

I hope they do keep them jailed forever and have to submit to their captors.

That man that helped set them free is a hero. Some people would of kept on walking.

• Like 5

I feel a little funny about wanting to know more details. 10 years is a long time. Was it constant raping? Pregnancies?

Probably did rape them constantly.
  • Like 3

well while its grim to think about it, I think its a possibility, 3 brothers and 3 kidnapped girls maybe a clue.... but how did they avoid pregnancies? or maybe they didnt and - well its pointless to speculate as the news will be updating endlessly with details of the case. Remember that Austrian man called Fritz or something, who kept his daughter in the cellar for 20 plus years?

There are some proper nasty sick weirdos in this world

• Like 4

At least their free, but the damage is done. Poor girls. And there was a child there too. :no:

• Like 4

Good thing UM members aren't their, and others, judge, jury and executioner. We would boil them in oil, cut off a few appendages, then hang them.

• Like 3

Nice to have some good news for a change. I hope these women get the support they need to try and pick up where there lives were taken from them.

• Like 3

As hard as I try, I cannot think of a fitting punishment for the animals that did this.

Robbing those poor girls and thier families of their lives for over 10 years? Imagine the hell those people went through.

I can't seem to think of anything that is fitting. Death just doesn't seem to be enough here.

• Like 2

As hard as I try, I cannot think of a fitting punishment for the animals that did this.

Robbing those poor girls and thier families of their lives for over 10 years? Imagine the hell those people went through.

I can't seem to think of anything that is fitting. Death just doesn't seem to be enough here.

I tend to agree, but since they cannot be tortured, death would be my choice. I don't think they can be rehibilitated.

• Like 2

I tend to agree, but since they cannot be tortured, death would be my choice. I don't think they can be rehibilitated.

with any luck they will be someones 'ho' in jail... see how they like getting forcibly shafted eh? :tu:

Over and over. And no Vaseline

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

i read that there was a little girl (aged 5) found with the girls, so its a possibility :(

• Like 1

I am SO glad these young women get to go home to their families! I hope that with time and proper help that they can put this behind them and resume normal lives!

I really am beginning to think that death is the only proper conclusion for people that commit these acts. I am sick of rapist getting second, third and fourth chances to inflict pain and suffering on their victims and victims families. There is no rehabilitation for criminals likes these so it's either incarceration for life or a death sentence.

People need to be vocal and stop giving asylum by silence to people who do these heinous things! Everyone has a relative or neighbor who is known to the community for sexual aggression or indecent sexual behavior towards others, stop covering it up and turn them in! Stop thinking that no one will believe it or that you are at fault if you know of this happening, You would only be at fault for knowing and doing nothing about it!

Mabon.

• Like 2

Good thing UM members aren't their, and others, judge, jury and executioner. We would boil them in oil, cut off a few appendages, then hang them.

Wait, that wouldn't be good? XD

• Like 2

What an incredible good ending(so to speak) for those 3 girls and the rape-conceived child.

Just so glad those alledged kidnapper(s)/rapists are in custudy.

• Like 2

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO...............

Three kidnap victims 'gave birth to at least FIVE babies while they were held captive at Cleveland home for a decade'

• Missing women Amanda Berry, 26, Gina DeJesus, 23, and Michele Knight, 32, were found on Monday after Amanda escaped and called 911
  • Girl, six, also found alive after Amanda gave birth to her inside the home
  • Police sources claim one of the women had as many as three miscarriages because she was so malnourished
  • Police arrest 52-year-old 'captor' who owned house and his two brothers
  • The women - then girls - were kidnapped separately on the same street more than nine years ago and taken just three miles away
  • Authorities visited the home in 2004 but left after no one answered the door

Three women who were held captive in a Cleveland home for a decade before escaping on Monday reportedly had multiple pregnancies while they were inside, it has emerged.

At least five babies were born at the home owned by Ariel Castro, while one of the victims suffered as many as three miscarriages because she was so malnourished, police sources told NewsChannel5.

It is unknown what happened to the children who were born at the home, and it is not clear whether a six-year-old girl who was found alive there on Monday is among the number cited by sources.

The girl was found after her mother, kidnap victim Amanda Berry, 26, climbed through a screen door on Monday afternoon while her alleged captor was out and fled to a neighbor's home to call 911.

When police arrived minutes later, they found Gina DeJesus, 23, and Michele Knight, 32, who had also been missing for a decade, along with the young girl.

At the press conference, authorities confirmed that the little girl was born to Berry while she was in captivity, but it is not known which of the three suspects - if any - is the father.

Today police praised Berry, who went missing a day before her 17th birthday in 2003, for escaping and alerting authorities to the two other women at the home.

'The real hero here is Amanda,' Cleveland Deputy Police Chief Ed Tomba said at a press conference on Tuesday morning. 'She came out of that house and that started it all.'

MONSTERS :(

Amanda Berry: Help me, I'm Amanda Berry.

Operator: Do you need police, fire or ambulance?

Berry: I need police.

Operator: OK, and what's going on there?

Berry: I've been kidnapped, and I've been missing for 10 years. And I'm here. I'm free now.

Operator: OK, and what's your address?

(The operator tries to figure out where she is.)

Berry: I'm across the street. I'm using their phone

Operator: OK, stay there with those neighbors and talk to the police when they get there.

(The operator repeats her instructions several times.)

Berry: OK, are they on their way right now? I need them now.

Operator: We're gonna send them as soon as we get a car open.

Berry: No, I need them now before he gets back.

Operator: All right. We're sending them, OK?

Berry: OK. I mean, like, right now.

Operator: Who is the guy who went out?

Berry: His name is Ariel Castro.

Operator: All right. How old is he?

Berry: He's like 52.

Operator: All right, and a...

Berry: And I'm Amanda Berry. I've been on the news for the last 10 years.

Operator: OK, I got that, dear... what is his name again?

Berry: Uh, Ariel Castro.

Operator: And is he white, black or Hispanic?

Berry: Uh, he's Hispanic.

Operator: What's he wearing?

Berry: I don't know cause he's not here right now. That's how we got away.

Operator: When he left, what was he wearing?

Berry: (Indistinguishable)

Operator: The police are on the way. Talk to them when they get there.

Berry: OK.

Edited by CuriousLittleOne
  • Like 2

Wow! Those poor girls. And for Amanda to find out her mim died...I am so sad for her. These men deserve the death penalty. They stole these girl's youth.

• Like 3

Wow! Those poor girls. And for Amanda to find out her mim died...I am so sad for her. These men deserve the death penalty. They stole these girl's youth.

Exactly, I have so many great memories being a kid. School was great, home was great, I just feel so sorry she will never experience that.

• Like 3

what .... the ....heck?

Revealed: Kidnap suspect's daughter jailed for 25 years for attempted murder of her 11-month-old baby

• Ariel Castro, 52, a former school bus driver, has been named as the prime suspect in abduction of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight
  • Two of Castro's brothers also arrested in the case
  • Castro's son wrote a piece on Miss DeJesus' disappearance back in 2004
  • His daughter Emily was jailed in 2008 after she tried to slit her baby's throat after she broke up with her boyfriend
  • Had a long history of mental illness

The daughter of the prime suspect in the kidnapping case of three Cleveland women was jailed for 25 years in 2008 for the attempted murder of her 11-month-old baby, it was revealed today.

Emily Castro, 24, tried to slash her daughter Janyla's throat in April 2007 after she broke up with the child's father.

Court documents state that police were called to Emily's home in Fort Wayne, Indiana - where she moved after she became pregnant - when a passerby saw a woman running out to the street with a bleeding baby in her arms.

The woman was Emily's mother, Grimilda Figeroa, who told police that her daughter stabbed her own child.

Scroll down for videos

article-2320757-19A9E851000005DC-435_634x585.jpg

Court: Emily Castro, then 19, is pictured going to her initial hearing charged with attempted murder and felony battery for cutting her 10-month-old daughter's neck several times in 2008

article-2320757-19A9D514000005DC-419_634x443.jpg

Jailed: Emily Castro, 24, tried to slash her daughter Janyla's throat in April 2007 after she broke up with the child's father

article-2320564-19A75117000005DC-105_306x370.jpg

article-2320564-19A75113000005DC-613_306x370.jpg

Alleged abductor: Ariel Castro's daughter Emily was jailed for 25 years in 2008 for trying to murder her daughter. Her sister Angie is pictured here with their father

article-2320895-19AA70D3000005DC-369_196x327.jpg

Ariel Castro, 52

article-2320895-19AA70DF000005DC-365_196x327.jpg

Pedro Castro, 54

article-2320895-19AA6D08000005DC-902_196x327.jpg

Onil Castro, 50

When officers went to the home, they found Emily Castro covered in mud, water and blood.

She was bleeding from self-inflicted knife wounds to her neck and wrists and told police she tried to kill herself with the same knife she used to attack her baby. She then tried to drown herself in a nearby creek.

At the time, she had a long history of mental illness though was found competent to stand trial as it did not meet the legal definition of insanity.

During the trial, her defense attorneys produced evidence that Castro suffered from serious depression for years before the birth of her daughter, and that it spiraled into paranoia, causing her to think her family was trying to kill her and the baby at the time of the attack.

The Journal Gazette reported at the time of the trial that Emily told the judge she was a good mom and that she did not know how it could have happened.

Her brother, Ariel 'Anthony' Castro read out a statement in court in defense of his sister and her mental illness.

He said: 'What happened to Janyla was serious, unthinkable and irreversible. What happened to my sister is no less serious.

'Emily's mental illness was something the family saw every day, and it was regrettable it failed to meet the legal definition of insanity.'

She was not an 'animal who tried to kill her daughter out of revenge', he said, describing his sister as a proud mother who put together scrapbooks in anticipation of Janyla’s first birthday.

The child made a full recovery, though it is not known whose custody she is currently in.

Edited by CuriousLittleOne