Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sub discovers signs of legendary Atlantis

We began to see that the area could be a piece of the continent that disappeared into the sea millions of years ago," Ventura said

Now we have Atlantis millions of years ago? Gee wonder if Athens existed to :):):)

the lost city and continent of Atlantis was a unified super Pangaea continent and so was the ocean was really one true ocean that covered the whole planet at one time when Atlantis and Lemuria existed once long time ago.well most people think since it has the name of Atlantis it has to be located in the ocean of Atlantic.well what most people or once people believed i am sure there are some people still believe that it has to be located there.but the truth is scientist and people in charge of finding out whether Atlantis exited which it did at one time have been looking in all but the wrong places.its located in the opposite side of the world today somewhere in the Philippines or Indonesia most likely.the only concern i have is let's say they do find it there would they be more they be more than honest in what they find and tell the public or hide it a.k.a cover up and another important question is is the information true and reliable and not fabricated?i do not trust authority especially governments no matter from what nation.that;s one thing life has taught me.trust is earned not given!!!

I think you are suggesting it is Sundaland. However, nothing is being covered up, but things are most probably made up:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=246602entry4743684

There is about as much chance this is Atlantis as it being the resting place of Cthulu.

Diechecker a couple hundred years from now Lovecraft likely will have his stories elevated to Plato's level also. Sad but true I suppose.

• Like 1

Diechecker a couple hundred years from now Lovecraft likely will have his stories elevated to Plato's level also. Sad but true I suppose.

Wow really? Triplicate? Can a mod fix this and delete this message also?

Wow really? Triplicate? Can a mod fix this and delete this message also?

No, they will let your posts stay as they are, just so you will wither away in shame in some dark alley...

:rolleyes:

• Like 4

No, they will let your posts stay as they are, just so you will wither away in shame in some dark alley...

:rolleyes:

Wither wither to and fro to the alley I shall go...

• Like 1

better hope that ..that dark alley you whither away in, will have a good pub!

better hope that ..that dark alley you whither away in, will have a good pub!

Aye! A good Irish pub methinks

• Like 1

I am still holding out for central New Jersey.

in that case im firmly seated upon the throne.

in that case im firmly seated upon the throne.

229969_10151238564535708_463394041_n.jpg

yes you are ... :tu:

• Like 3

atlantis imo is on the north polar cap. try and google image it... or research hollow earth. interesting =]

Sorry to say, the webpage and its content at that link is pure..crappola.

I would be thankful to get some details: What is the problem?

Is the quality too high for you to follow the thoughts?

Are there too many details, so you can't keep them in mind?

Is the plain-and-simple look-and-feel of the page not colourful enough for you?

We are talking of this page:

http://www.atlantis-scout.de/atlantis_bible.htm

_

Edited by Proclus

http://www.atlantis-...antis_bible.htm

As a Christian that has read most of the Bible, I can say that that site has many part-truthes in it.

It seems to be actually aimed at de-bunking Atlantis, but that does not make its facts true.

For example:

540 BC Writing of the Bible

This must actually be refering to the Old Testament, or sometimes called the Hebrew Bible. The Christian Bible, which is the only book generally called a Bible, was generally put together at the end of the 4th century. Many of the Books of the Old Testament were written in the 3rd century BC, and some as far back as the 8th century BC, so even trying to claim the Hebrew Bible was written in 540 BC is way to simplistic.

Simply saying 540BC = Writing of the Bible is way oversimplifying the issue.

Plato lived 300+ years before Jesus was born, so I think it is not beyond imagination that He would have heard the story of Atlantis in some form, but I have never seen a reference of Jesus refering to Atlantis.

That Plato was an inspiration for the Jewish Traditions flood myth by way of his tale of Atlantis would seem not possible. The Flood of Jewish story is way older then Plato. And that story has been shown to have direct connections to the tale of Gilgamesh and the Babylonian flood myth. And there is no known evidence of Atlantis and no other documentation of Atlantis.

So I think.... If anything.... Plato borrowed the Flood of Atlantis myth off the Hebrews, or possibly the earlier Middle Eastern religions who had Flood Myths. It seems more likely that Plato borrowed the myth then that the myth came down to him 4th hand from Egypt.

According to Plato the Atlantis account is based on an Egyptian written source. If this is true, then the Atlantis account could contain more accurate information on ancient times than the Bible.

Except we have many documents surrounding the origins of the Bible, and zero about the origins of Atlantis (Other then Homer).

An otherwise interesting site.

for gods sake people It's R'lyeh. so H P was a little off. the old Swedish sailor probably lied to hide the true location.

Cthulhu fhtagn

I would be thankful to get some details: What is the problem?

Is the quality too high for you to follow the thoughts?

Are there too many details, so you can't keep them in mind?

Is the plain-and-simple look-and-feel of the page not colourful enough for you?

http://www.atlantis-...antis_bible.htm

At least the page notes many pseudoscientific errors, before making one of its own:

...the island, too, is not named "Atlantis" but is only "the island of Atlas" or "Atlas' island". Only in the modern use it became usual to call the city just "Atlantis".

The phrase "of Atlas" in Greek is "Atlantis:"

Atlantis (in Greek, Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος, "island of Atlas")

Source

Do you recognize the word here: Ἀτλαντὶς ?

I read no further than that.

Harte

~snip

I read no further than that.

Harte

that's a few lines further than I could manage Mr HArte :tu:

:lol:

Edited by third_eye

@DieChecker:

> Simply saying 540BC = Writing of the Bible is way oversimplifying the issue.

Yes and no. If you want details, it is too simplistic.

But if you want a rough orientation, 540 BC is the best date you can give.

Important is only one thing: The historical horizon of the Bible is not the bronze age,

its up to the 8th century, only. This is said.

So we are only talking about the question how to say it.

> but I have never seen a reference of Jesus refering to Atlantis.

Me neither.

> So I think.... If anything.... Plato borrowed the Flood of Atlantis myth off the Hebrews,

Hm, Plato clearly relied on Deucalion's flood as an example of a flood (not the alleged Atlantis flood)

which in turn could be connected with Mesopotamian flood myths.

> Except we have many documents surrounding the origins of the Bible, and zero about the origins of Atlantis (Other then Homer).

Maybe we have but simply do not know the connection. But basically you are right.

>An otherwise interesting site.

Thank you!!!

@Harte:

> The phrase "of Atlas" in Greek is "Atlantis:"

> Do you recognize the word here: Ἀτλαντὶς ?

> I read no further than that.

Hm, your grammar lesson is correct but I do not see that I made any mistakes?

Isn't this exactly what I try to explain?

@Harte:

> The phrase "of Atlas" in Greek is "Atlantis:"

> Do you recognize the word here: Ἀτλαντὶς ?

> I read no further than that.

Hm, your grammar lesson is correct but I do not see that I made any mistakes?

Isn't this exactly what I try to explain?

Possibly.

But I wasn't talking about you. I was commenting on the content at the site you linked.

Regarding that, no, it's not what the site was trying to explain.

Harte

@Harte:

> Regarding that, no, it's not what the site was trying to explain.

The site is my site, as you can see in my profile data.

Hm, hm, I have to guess now:

You probably think, because "of Atlas" = "Atlantis" in Greek, it would be valid to see this as a "name" of the island?

Then I disagree, it is only a description of "belonging to", not a name.

Although our modern eyes are very used to view "Atlantis" as a name.

Ok, a description can become a name, but this name then would not be "Atlantis" only, but "Atlantis nesos".

Without "nesos" the word "Atlantis" makes no sense and could mean anything (which mislead many Atlantis searchers

who thought it means "daughter of Atlas" as is known from another context - but not in this context!)

Did I come close to your thoughts?

@Harte:

> Regarding that, no, it's not what the site was trying to explain.

The site is my site, as you can see in my profile data.

Hm, hm, I have to guess now:

You probably think, because "of Atlas" = "Atlantis" in Greek, it would be valid to see this as a "name" of the island?

Then I disagree, it is only a description of "belonging to", not a name.

Why don't you go to New York and straighten them out too?

I hear they refer to Manhattan Island as "Manhattan."

Your site tries to make the point that the fictional place should not be referred to as "Atlantis," but as the "Island of Atlas."

All you're talking about is not dropping the "Island" part.

That's like requiring that people call North America "The Continent of North America."

This re-phrasing magically transforms the city into Enoch's city?

Harte