Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two-headed skull of ? found on beach

AMBERTRACKS

I'm going with some type of vertebrae.

Nibs

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Barnacle shell perhaps?

This, or as hernibs suggested a vertebra...but not a skull. Your local university, would be glad to ID for free.

It's definetly a Notaskul. I have a friend whose cousins girlfriend found a Notaskul while fising by the local crik.

Looks like a fossilised coral or fossilised marine bottom dwelling invertebrate,who knows?

I just can't see a Skull or Skulls...

Doesn't seem to be a skull. No eye holes, ear holes, or nose holes of any kind. It seems to be artificial in nature. Maybe some kind of ornament or statue piece that broke off and wound up on the beach. I'm also not sure what you mean by "two-headed". I don't see two heads. To be honest, I don't see a single head either.

Definitely not a skull, there is nothing comparable to the eye orbits, naris or fenestra openings that are common for virtually all skulls.

My guess would be a piece of hard coral, of which there are over a hundred species.

Hard coral is calcium carbonate, while bone is calcium phosphate. An easy way to see if it is calcium carbonate is to cover it with vinegar in a container, and look for bubbles. That is the carbon dioxide being produced from the chemical reaction. It may take minutes or hours with rocks that contain calcium carbonate, but if it is made entirely from of calcium carbonate, it may be more immediate. If you don't want to risk the whole specimen, chip off a small piece and soak that.

ALLOW ME TO ASSURE YOU THAT THIS IS NOT A HOAX OF ANY SORT OR AN ALTERED PIECE OF WOOD OR CLAY

Well that has me absolutely convinced. Nothing like yelling about a two headed skull to make a convincing argument...

• Like 2

I can't identify it specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's an egg case from some marine critter. Did you find it on a beach?

I agree with everyone else that it doesn't look like a skull, I actually have a gargoyle statue in my backyard and it does resemble it material wise, but the shape is odd. Just to be sure definitely take it to your local museum

I'm going with some type of vertebrae.

Nibs

The atlas to be specific.

• Like 3

I can't identify it specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's an egg case from some marine critter. Did you find it on a beach?

Whoops, looked at a few more pics and now go with 'vertebra'. Or maybe from a crinoid stem?

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

I doubt this is a vertebrae, the body of most is fairly flat and there would be an unobstructed opening for the spinal canal.

• Like 1

I doubt this is a vertebrae, the body of most is fairly flat and there would be an unobstructed opening for the spinal canal.

There are many different kinds of 'atlases', but you are right: I just now watched all the photos and it does look more like something carved from coral or bone or something. On the other hand: they do carve vertebrae into decorative figurines.

Currently my best guess is the theca from a blastoid, a species of echinoderm, now extinct but fossils are commonly found.

The theca is the casing, which were fairly small and were supported above the sea floor by a stalk. This object appears small when compared to the penny in one of the photos. The opening seen in the first image may very well be where the stalk was connected. The stalks were less likely to be preserved. The top view shows what may be small openings or pores that could be spiracles.

They usually have a five-fold symmetry, which this object doesn't have, but there are some that are a bit irregular

Here are a few images of some;

BJmsabfs.jpgSSirKFVs.jpgqvLCDwws.jpgeMuInX2s.jpgOUDoDmFs.jpg

• Like 1

a gargoyle seems to be the closest type of creature description so far, good call kasey

A gargoyle isn't a type of creature.

this is something from DNA thank you
You've done DNA tests on it?

When does this get listed on ebay?

What if he did come back wanting his shell, wouldn't that be freaky.

I'm going with mutated 2 headed pixie, or fairy of some type.