Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian documents - searchable PDF archive

topsecretresearch

With the permission of the National Archives of Australia (on behalf of the Commonwealth Government of Australia), I've uploaded searchable PDF files containing over 10,000 pages of Australian UFO documents to a free file storage website.

Links to that archive, with some highlights from the collection, are given in my lengthy post at the link below:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread942661/pg1

All the files are sourced from the website of the National Archives of Australia. The website of the National Archives of Australia has images of many documents relating to UFOs. However, that website can be a bit slow and doesn’t allow the content of the UFO files to be browsed rapidly or searched. The PDF archive that I’ve uploaded should, therefore, make it easier and quicker to browse material as well as enabling the documents to be searched.

That lengthy post is split into the following sections:

SECTION A : THIS BRIEF INTRODUCTION

SECTION B : BACKGROUND - UFOS OVER OZ

SECTION C : USA “VERY INTERESTED” (1953)

SECTION D : SIGHTINGS BY “OUR HIGHLY TRAINED SELVES”

SECTION D1 : THE MEN FROM THE MINISTRY

SECTION D2 : THE SEA FURY / NOWRA INCIDENT (1954)

SECTION D3 : FLIGHT LIEUTENANT SCOTT’S SIGHTING (1952)

SECTION E : THE TURNER REPORT (1954)

SECTION F : MINISTER’S “PERSONAL” INVESTIGATION (1954)

SECTION G : SOME REPORTS “APPEAR TO BE INEXPLICABLE” (1957)

SECTION H : IT WASN’T VENUS (1971)

SECTION I : REVEREND GILL SIGHTINGS (1959)

SECTION J : THE VALENTICH DISAPPEARANCE (1978)

SECTION K : MISCELLANEOUS DOCUMENTS

SECTION L : SCRIPT FOR DOWNLOADING

SECTION M : CONCLUSION

SECTION N : REFERENCES

SECTION O : POSTSCRIPT

I wonder how many members of the UFO community are familiar with the content of these documents, including:

(1) A report produced for the Australian government by the same Professor in Melbourne University’s Physics Department in 1954, which concluded that (if the intelligence reports in a book by Donald Keyhoe were authentic) “then the evidence presented is such that it is difficult to assume any interpretation other than that unidentified flying objects are being observed ... it is highly improbable that such objects have a terrestrial origin”.

(2) Criticisms of the Australian government statements on UFOs by a scientist that worked for the government (the same one that had earlier been the in Melbourne University’s Physics Department in 1954), which included noting that an identification list of all sightings made between 1960 and 1965 contained “15 identifications of Venus, not one of which is valid. In every case Venus was in a totally different part of the sky or not even above the horizon”. That scientist commented that “this off-hand unscientific attitude to identification did not escape the notice of the press or various scientists”.

(3) One government Minister (R G Casey) at one point considered some UFO reports “unexplained on any rational hypothesis”.

(4) A letter dated 1st April 1957 from the Director of Air Force Intelligence to the Director of the Joint Intelligence Bureau which states that many UFO reports “cover such mundane things as meteorological and astronomical phenomena” but went on to say “others appear to be inexplicable”.

(5) A letter from the US Embassy in Australia to the Australian Directorate of Air Force Intelligence stating “my headquarters is very interested in receiving reports of all unusual sightings not only in this area but all over the world”.

(6) The file devoted to one incident includes a document written by Captain Adams (the Director of Naval Intelligence) referring to the case as “a well authenticated sighting”.

I've said it before (please forgive my repeating myself...): I think that ufology could benefit considerably from making more underlying documentation easily available in a searchable format.

• Like 2

Keep it coming, topsecreteresearch. This board would be pretty boring without all the info you're providing. Since The MacGuffin left, you've been filling the void nicely.

Keep it coming, topsecreteresearch. This board would be pretty boring without all the info you're providing. Since The MacGuffin left, you've been filling the void nicely.

Have you read the docs mate? It seems more like a soap than any sort of investigative information, as you know well, Gill was PNG, not Oz, The Valentich case is no longer mysterious they have even found wreckage from his plane, and some time ago, but that was kept quiet by the woo woo crowd, Woomera is a rocket testing ground, no surprises that UFO's are seen there, and Keith Basterfield seems to think every light in the sky is a starship. The Min Min phenomena is well known here, he seems to be describing that. I agree with Kudos for giving the information to the people, I just wish people would have a decent read of this stuff with a critical eye as opposed to an adoring one.

It's also quite strange reading that a fellow countryman wrote any of the above. I find as a rule of thumb, most Aussies are pretty well grounded, and not too many fall into the woo woo trap. But obviously, there is one in every crowd. I know Aussies see UFO,'s seen them myself, but of the people I speak to and grew up with are not as credulous as these threads make out and dive straight from UFO to ET In general we are a fairly level headed bunch.

I really do not find TSR and MacGuff to be on the same playing field myself, Q would have to be the best of the believer bunch I reckon, but MacG had a good repository right in his head which I always did respect. I find TSR to be a bit behind the times, no offence but as my sig says, I am not sure that such old and corrupted data can tell us a great deal.

• Like 3

So ITs true ! theres Tales on both side of the Ponds ! Thats Good to Know,Like we didnt already ! Well Keep Looking Up ! :tu:

(2) Criticisms of the Australian government statements on UFOs by a scientist that worked for the government (the same one that had earlier been the in Melbourne University’s Physics Department in 1954), which included noting that an identification list of all sightings made between 1960 and 1965 contained “15 identifications of Venus, not one of which is valid. In every case Venus was in a totally different part of the sky or not even above the horizon”. That scientist commented that “this off-hand unscientific attitude to identification did not escape the notice of the press or various scientists”.

thanks for posting TSR.

as for the bolded, this is quite interesting. I think this is interesting because how is it that two countries with the huge distance between them , USA and Australia......end up with the same (at least it appears to be) the same MO in as far as debunk the cases at all costs and if you are stuck use the joker AKA Venus.

The various Countries could never be in cahoots as far as a cover goes however its interesting similar methods seem to have been employed.

Have you read the docs mate? It seems more like a soap than any sort of investigative information, as you know well, Gill was PNG, not Oz, The Valentich case is no longer mysterious they have even found wreckage from his plane, and some time ago, but that was kept quiet by the woo woo crowd, Woomera is a rocket testing ground, no surprises that UFO's are seen there, and Keith Basterfield seems to think every light in the sky is a starship. The Min Min phenomena is well known here, he seems to be describing that. I agree with Kudos for giving the information to the people, I just wish people would have a decent read of this stuff with a critical eye as opposed to an adoring one.

It's also quite strange reading that a fellow countryman wrote any of the above. I find as a rule of thumb, most Aussies are pretty well grounded, and not too many fall into the woo woo trap. But obviously, there is one in every crowd. I know Aussies see UFO,'s seen them myself, but of the people I speak to and grew up with are not as credulous as these threads make out and dive straight from UFO to ET In general we are a fairly level headed bunch.

I really do not find TSR and MacGuff to be on the same playing field myself, Q would have to be the best of the believer bunch I reckon, but MacG had a good repository right in his head which I always did respect. I find TSR to be a bit behind the times, no offence but as my sig says, I am not sure that such old and corrupted data can tell us a great deal.

Gidday Psyche, I have yet to read through teh documnets posted by TSR but maybe we can talk further once I have.

I have not heard of wreckage being found of Valentichs plane, have you a link or advice as to how I can look into this.....? thanks

oh and thanks for the kind words

• Like 1

Well after a long lunch of Veggie-mite sandwhichs Im seeing Tripple ! Clue me in on this one Psyche 101 !

• Like 1

Gidday Psyche, I have yet to read through teh documnets posted by TSR but maybe we can talk further once I have.

I have not heard of wreckage being found of Valentichs plane, have you a link or advice as to how I can look into this.....? thanks

oh and thanks for the kind words

Gidday Mate

It seems to be fairly old data that never amounted to much, the Australian Police UFO site seems much more current and up to date with modern information.

Always happy to accomodate.

Mr Basterfield and others had known the 315-page file - the holy grail in the mystery - existed. It had been seen by one researcher on the desk of a Transport Department official in 1982, as he lobbied him for its release. Since then, many have sought it doggedly to see which of the many theories on the mystery - hoax, suicide, staged disappearance, drug-induced hallucination or actual UFO sighting - was given credence by investigators.

What is significant about the file, Mr Basterfield argues, is that for the first time it is revealed that parts of aircraft wreckage with partial serial numbers were found in Bass Strait five years after the disappearance.

Mr Basterfield says Valentich's aircraft serial numbers fell within the range of those found on the wreckage, almost eliminating the theory that the pilot staged his disappearance on the way to King Island.

LINK

Well after a long lunch of Veggie-mite sandwhichs Im seeing Tripple ! Clue me in on this one Psyche 101 !

You should visit right now, while you are immune to drop bears. Ingesting that much vegemite should keep them away for weeks.

I love the stuff on toast :D

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

thanks for posting TSR.

as for the bolded, this is quite interesting. I think this is interesting because how is it that two countries with the huge distance between them , USA and Australia......end up with the same (at least it appears to be) the same MO in as far as debunk the cases at all costs and if you are stuck use the joker AKA Venus.

The various Countries could never be in cahoots as far as a cover goes however its interesting similar methods seem to have been employed.

Do you not feel this furthers my personal conclusion that Quintanilla actually thought he was doing a god job as opposed to deliberate disinformation?

I had my my taste many years ago ,Its time to re-think the experience ! Now to Find the Stuff again !

Here veggiemite,here little veggiemite ! Now How do you Shoot a Veggiemite again? :gun:

Gidday Mate

It seems to be fairly old data that never amounted to much, the Australian Police UFO site seems much more current and up to date with modern information.

Always happy to accomodate.

Mr Basterfield and others had known the 315-page file - the holy grail in the mystery - existed. It had been seen by one researcher on the desk of a Transport Department official in 1982, as he lobbied him for its release. Since then, many have sought it doggedly to see which of the many theories on the mystery - hoax, suicide, staged disappearance, drug-induced hallucination or actual UFO sighting - was given credence by investigators.

What is significant about the file, Mr Basterfield argues, is that for the first time it is revealed that parts of aircraft wreckage with partial serial numbers were found in Bass Strait five years after the disappearance.

Mr Basterfield says Valentich's aircraft serial numbers fell within the range of those found on the wreckage, almost eliminating the theory that the pilot staged his disappearance on the way to King Island.

LINK

many thanks mate, will have a good read later when time permits.....

The Valentich encounter is still as interesting as it was before, I say this because he still had an encounter with a UFO....whether he crashed, was shot down or dissapeared altogether is irrelevant IMO. Establishing what the object was that he encountered is still priority and still leaves this case very open as far as a UFO encounter is concerned.

good link though will dig further to try and see just how big this range is and try and get a feel for just how likely some of the wreckage being his is.

Do you not feel this furthers my personal conclusion that Quintanilla actually thought he was doing a god job as opposed to deliberate disinformation?

actually mate I took it the other way...it confirms that people in his position simply cannot make such an absurd suggestion especially when not investigating properly or even talking to those concerned. Which does indicate deliberate disinfo (or a debunk at all costs) or just plain stupid, and I dont buy someone becoming a Major being as stupid as he would have to be to believe he was doing a good job.

The 15 cases in teh Australian files suggest continued deliberate disinfo or again stupidity and as you say Australians are grounded people...no one can make the same mistake over and over again....

still amazes me how the same sentence or bit of evidence can be looked at in two opposite ways

many thanks mate, will have a good read later when time permits.....

The Valentich encounter is still as interesting as it was before, I say this because he still had an encounter with a UFO....whether he crashed, was shot down or dissapeared altogether is irrelevant IMO. Establishing what the object was that he encountered is still priority and still leaves this case very open as far as a UFO encounter is concerned.

good link though will dig further to try and see just how big this range is and try and get a feel for just how likely some of the wreckage being his is.

Hrrmm, we have a strange recording, but it is only supposition that he saw a UFO. Many feel disorientation might have made him think he was seeing light sources from an angle he did not realise.

actually mate I took it the other way...it confirms that people in his position simply cannot make such an absurd suggestion especially when not investigating properly or even talking to those concerned. Which does indicate deliberate disinfo (or a debunk at all costs) or just plain stupid, and I dont buy someone becoming a Major being as stupid as he would have to be to believe he was doing a good job.

The 15 cases in teh Australian files suggest continued deliberate disinfo or again stupidity and as you say Australians are grounded people...no one can make the same mistake over and over again....

still amazes me how the same sentence or bit of evidence can be looked at in two opposite ways

What if it does not seem absurd to them though? For a staunch non woo woo type, it might seem perfectly reasonable to suggest Venus, and one could suppose that all UFO reports are bunkum, so in such a mindset, Venus would be more than likely, and a UFO just poppycock. For a hard military man, that does not seem an outrageous suggestion to me? There is certainly no collusion, so to get the same ideas of opposite sides of the globe to debunk, when it is not viable to any with a more liberal perspective, seems too limited in imagination to me.

• Like 1

Hrrmm, we have a strange recording, but it is only supposition that he saw a UFO. Many feel disorientation might have made him think he was seeing light sources from an angle he did not realise.

I dont agree here Psyche. I dont think its supposition. Those that feel disorientation usually put this down to Hypoxia and the effects of. Remember he was only 3-4 thousand feet up, which makes it highly unlikely if not impossible to have been suffering due to altitude. We also have the fact that the recording does not indicate any symptoms of Hypoxia, instead he is still able to communicate with controller, even though the panic and shock of what he is seeing is apparent.

With regards to the UFO, he makes commenst such as these that suggest more than a light and in addition constant changing of angles, its ahead, below and above........so that throws the angle theory straight out.

''its a long shape''

''green light and

sort of metallic like it's all shiny on the outside'' (note the word 'and'...thsi tells us he could make out the lights PLUS the matallic shine)

the final thing he says is the most chilling, Valentich constantly asks and is asked if it is an aircraft to which there is uncertainty. He finally says :

'it is hovering and it's not an aircraft'

then transmission ends....I am guessing it came close enough for him to be certain it was no aircraft (even though previous manouveuring and speed meant this was unlikely)......

What if it does not seem absurd to them though? For a staunch non woo woo type, it might seem perfectly reasonable to suggest Venus, and one could suppose that all UFO reports are bunkum, so in such a mindset, Venus would be more than likely, and a UFO just poppycock. For a hard military man, that does not seem an outrageous suggestion to me? There is certainly no collusion, so to get the same ideas of opposite sides of the globe to debunk, when it is not viable to any with a more liberal perspective, seems too limited in imagination to me.

I guess I just dont see how Venus could not be easily eliminated. It does however confirm this insistance to just 'debunk' at all costs.

I agree that collusion is not a sound idea and I do not think this is the case at all, apologies if I came across as suggesting this possible.

I do see what you are saying....I am just going to look at some of Major Q's other 'debunks' to see whether it is plausible he believed what he said...I personally dont think he did, but will reserve judgement until I read more.

just quickly on Major Q, I will jot a couple of cases down with his conclusion:

Portage county = Venus

Edwards Air Force base incident = Stars and Balloons

Red Bluff = planets and stars

Minot AFB incident = stars

these are just a few that show no investigation, no willingness to listen to the facts of the case, constant ridiculous suggestions..i.e. stars even when then UFO is said to be near ground level.

Granted his job was to debunk this nonsense (his opinion of the Phenomenon), but I really cant accept he believed what he said. I appreciate his job seemed to be to eliminate or reduce the number of unknowns so he did this but I cannot see much that suggests he believed what he said.....he may not have been a scientist or investigator or just someone with a good grasp of the subject but some of the suggestions dont even show an ounce of common sense...which again leads me to how a Major can reach that position without an ounce of sense......

if it had been Forest Gump I would assist you in your argument :yes:

briefly jumping back on Valentich....I have read that there was a witness that night that described an object with four green lights......it is said that his account was given many years prior to the release of the Valentich audio.

his name Stephen Villages

I cannot find the source of this witness and can only find the same phrase repeated ''Stephen Villages, a Queensland man saw a long object ........''

if any one knows anymore on this please do post

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but has The MacGuffin left the boards permanently or will he be back as I always really enjoyed his posts & knowledge :tu:

• Like 1

Notice all the debunkers from Australia on the forum. Australia is a hotbed of UFO and abduction activity. Australia is also a big time ally with the US. Go figure right?

Notice all the debunkers from Australia on the forum. Australia is a hotbed of UFO and abduction activity. Australia is also a big time ally with the US. Go figure right?

The fact that you have no counter arguments is very telling. You should work some more on that and maybe then you would be taken a bit more seriously.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but has The MacGuffin left the boards permanently or will he be back as I always really enjoyed his posts & knowledge :tu:

Been wondering the same thing. Comeback, MacG!

• Like 1

Been wondering the same thing. Comeback, MacG!

yes it is a damn shame McG has taken a break from the boards....lets all hope he returns once again.

• Like 1

I dont agree here Psyche. I dont think its supposition. Those that feel disorientation usually put this down to Hypoxia and the effects of. Remember he was only 3-4 thousand feet up, which makes it highly unlikely if not impossible to have been suffering due to altitude. We also have the fact that the recording does not indicate any symptoms of Hypoxia, instead he is still able to communicate with controller, even though the panic and shock of what he is seeing is apparent.

With regards to the UFO, he makes commenst such as these that suggest more than a light and in addition constant changing of angles, its ahead, below and above........so that throws the angle theory straight out.

''its a long shape''

''green light and

sort of metallic like it's all shiny on the outside'' (note the word 'and'...thsi tells us he could make out the lights PLUS the matallic shine)

the final thing he says is the most chilling, Valentich constantly asks and is asked if it is an aircraft to which there is uncertainty. He finally says :

'it is hovering and it's not an aircraft'

then transmission ends....I am guessing it came close enough for him to be certain it was no aircraft (even though previous manouveuring and speed meant this was unlikely)......

Valentich was a strong ET proponent, had he become disorientated, it is more than conceivable that he assumed the lighthouse was indeed an ET craft, the stronger proponents do not tend to require much convincing. I honestly do not think he saw a craft in the sky that night, and whilst I feel this option is probably not as strong as the smuggling option, there is no connection between his disorientation and hypoxia which is also possible if he had a problem with the seal on the cabin, but the fact he was going to pick up crayfish (what he told those close to him, the official story was that he would be picking up passengers) that did not exist, and were out of season seems more than suspicious. And no passengers existed either.

I bet many people saw UFO's that very night, Mt Stromlo observatory advised that the night of the 21st was the peak of the meteorite stream with 10-15 sightings per hour achieved.

iz4feebaf6.JPG

I do not know if it is a long standing hoax, or a hoax that went wrong and ended in death, but I am completely sure this is no ET driven UFO. It was suggested that Uncle Phil said he was smuggling drugs, but I am pretty sure he did not. The woo woo sites have been blowing this out of proportion, and even go as far as to say " he would not make up stories" which is a load of crap. Not one of them ever met Valentich, and are making such up on the spot to appeal to authority. Personally as far as I know he was a pretty crap pilot, failed twice, and I personally expect he met with tragedy.

ETA I am pretty sure he got to 4,500 feet.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

just quickly on Major Q, I will jot a couple of cases down with his conclusion:

Portage county = Venus

Edwards Air Force base incident = Stars and Balloons

Red Bluff = planets and stars

Minot AFB incident = stars

these are just a few that show no investigation, no willingness to listen to the facts of the case, constant ridiculous suggestions..i.e. stars even when then UFO is said to be near ground level.

Granted his job was to debunk this nonsense (his opinion of the Phenomenon), but I really cant accept he believed what he said. I appreciate his job seemed to be to eliminate or reduce the number of unknowns so he did this but I cannot see much that suggests he believed what he said.....he may not have been a scientist or investigator or just someone with a good grasp of the subject but some of the suggestions dont even show an ounce of common sense...which again leads me to how a Major can reach that position without an ounce of sense......

if it had been Forest Gump I would assist you in your argument :yes:

Although, all explanations are astronomical. I cannot say I agree with you on this one mate, it seem to me Quinatinalla thought a light in the sky was a star or a planet, and I feel he personally thought people who thought otherwise were zealous people who just needed to be shown more knowledge. I feel his paper after that fact refects this, and it seems to me that others with apathy for the ETH'ers would indeed act just the same, and further yet, this is also what I would epxect from a staunch hard working "find my own way up the ladder" type.

He is they type of debunker that believers tend complain about here, but does not frequent here. I think his animosity s something like that which you see when Jim Oberg and MacGuffin get together. No matter what info Jim puts up, MacGuffin will call it a lie, and take the opportunity to insult Jim. It's a mindset, not an evaluation. And it was prevalent at Roswell too between the base boys and the military.

The more info you put up, the more convinced my conclusion is the correct one. And I mean that with no offence as I am sure you know, we just seem to be seeing this from very different angles. That they do not show common sense, and all point at astronomical features I feel shows a common train of thought, and that being UFO nuts have no clue about anything, that is what I think Quintanilla's personal conclusion was, and why he felt he was doing a good job. I am afraid I do not feel that the commonality of astronomical features indicates deliberate misinformation. Ego perhaps.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1