Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Robots Will Overtake Humans by 2100

Still Waters

Are you prepared to meet your robot overlords?

The idea of superintelligent machines may sound like the plot of "The Terminator" or "The Matrix," but many experts say the idea isn't far-fetched. Some even think the singularity -- the point at which artificial intelligence can match, and then overtake, human smarts -- might happen in just 16 years.

http://news.discover...#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Maybe we shouldn't let robots get to smart. They may see us as useless and take over the planet.

• Like 2

Will they be riding Fat Boys and wearing leather Jackets... :gun:

• Like 2

It doesn't just "sound like the plot of "The Matrix", it is "The Matrix".

That why Earth's greatest minds must study the movie so they can take preventive action.

Actually, how is this possible? Computers are dumb.

That's all.

• Like 1

As long as they don't build them with EMP resistance, we'll always have a fighting chance!

• Like 4

As long as they don't build them with EMP resistance, we'll always have a fighting chance!

For goodness' sake, splash water on them.

That always works on my computer.

• Like 4

I think everyone missed who the bad guys really were in the Matrix.

We can speculate all day on what artificial intelligence will do... Attaching human thought to synthetics, I would think, would be ineffective in predicting their behaviors.

My guess is that it would be completely different, as their basic needs would be totally different than our basic needs.

I like the idea of the robots in "i, Robot".

I don't mind those robots taking over, because it would be ironic.

I think this is a bad idea.

Scientists already said the Terminator scenario is possible nd very likely if we go that far.

• Like 1

QUOTE-

Bill Hibbard, a computer scientist

at the University of Wisconsin-

Madison, doesn't make quite as

bold a prediction, but he's

nevertheless confident AI will have

human-level intelligence some

time in the 21st century.

depends what KIND of human really I suppose. if it's a politician, or kim kardashian, or an *insert country name here*'s got talent contestant, then we should be pretty safe.

but if they mean stewie griffin however, we may be in trouble.....

"Computers ain't that smart, Whatever man built can be taken apart" -- rapper Nas

Will robots overtake humans by 2100?

Sorry to troll with a one word response but....

NO!

• Like 2

Unless humans invent a power source that can power a robot independent of an extension cord I don't see them being a threat. Running around on batteries might work for a few hours but eventually they are going to have to find an outlet to plug into to recharge.

Unless humans invent a power source that can power a robot independent of an extension cord I don't see them being a threat. Running around on batteries might work for a few hours but eventually they are going to have to find an outlet to plug into to recharge.

You must not have seen the Nissan commercial where the owner plugs her house into the car for power.

I'll also read an article that indicated the general populace intelligence is dropping. So the more we depend on smart machines whether it be a robot or a phone, we will continue to degrade. How far is anyone's guess.

Have you not seen The Matrix?

Maybe we shouldn't let robots get to smart. They may see us as useless and take over the planet.

Yup and with so many people loosing their jobs over them, we will soon be obsolete.. Hasta la vista...

Have you not seen The Matrix?

Exactly. "We're not sure who struck first; us or them. But we do know it was us who blackened our skies..." - Morpheus

If we continue developing the way we are it seems inevetable that this will happen sooner or later.

I think governments should start preparing for this now and install measures that prevent robots/computers ever becoming a threat to humanity. Like having legal guidelines for who can develop these technologies.

no it will not because it has been proven that not even the most most advanced and expensive super computer in the world is better than the human brain nor as more complex either.while some people believe this to be the future i don't there are many people and etc that think otherwise and have proof.yeah we will go into a new era but i will be a spiritual one not one filled with machines and etc.so no i don't fear these soulless machines nor their abilities and etc.they may be many things but they will never have one thing that humans and livings have and that is a soul and feelings real feelings and emotions and heart and all that makes us real and organic.take that you soulless machines and fakes!!!:)

Edited by Andromedan Starseed 333

If we continue developing the way we are it seems inevetable that this will happen sooner or later.

I think governments should start preparing for this now and install measures that prevent robots/computers ever becoming a threat to humanity. Like having legal guidelines for who can develop these technologies.

In my fiction writing, after AI robots created big problems for intelligent biological life, a law was passed that no artificial intelligence could be constructed that was more intelligent than the most intelligent biological species. The result was that robots became as stupid and incompetent as the bios.

Net gain = 0.

• Like 1

a law was passed that no artificial intelligence could be constructed that was more intelligent than the most intelligent biological species. The result was that robots became as stupid and incompetent as the bios.

I know people who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and an electric ass-finding machine, which means they'd have to be pretty dumb robots kid!

:-)

*edited to add*

have you ever thought about putting some of your sci-fi in the 'artists & writers hangout' thread kid?

Edited by shrooma

*edited to add*

have you ever thought about putting some of your sci-fi in the 'artists & writers hangout' thread kid?

Thanks for asking. All my story stuff is in my UM blog I'll put my recent story there as it's short.

Edited by StarMountainKid
  • Like 2

Maybe they already have taken over ;)

Yeah. Think about what can you do without internet, smartphone, television and a car for a day.

I think that we don't need robots to be as smart as Einstein, we only need laborious robots which can replace human in a field, feeding pigs, etc... to increase productivity. Once we resolve the food problem, there is no famine and food price is practically nothing, we can move on to the comfort subject.