Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Palo Mayombe: The Religion of the Spirits

Tata Rompe Pecho

Palo Mayombe: The Religion of the Spirits

by: Tata Rompe Pecho

¡Sambia arriba, Sambia abajo, Sambia por los 4 costados!

Hello and welcome. I am dedicating my time to clarifying this highly misunderstood faith to you all because I feel that this faith has received a horrible opinion without proper reason. First I want to explain the name I used in the writing of this thread. Tata(Priest, anytime you see Tata in this faith it means Priest or Father) Rompe Pecho(Chest buster). The next line mentions Sambia, Sambia or Nsambi is the word for god in this faith. The line translated means "God above, God below, and God all around"(This means that god is all around us, he is with us no matter how lonely we feel).

Let us get started on what exactly is the base of this faith. Palo is a faith that was born somewhere around the arrival of African slaves to the Caribbean islands. The faith was founded off of a faith widely accepted in the Congo, and is one that is regarded today as one of the most effective and seemingly most hated in the world today due to misunderstanding. In this faith all humans are mediums, all Spirits are good, and all Ghosts are bad, there is no exception to these rules. This faith is the belief in Spirits, Ghosts(and a few other things) and the harnessing of them in a natural way. In this faith the supernatural are broken down into categories which are nkuyo(Spirits), ndoki(Ghosts), kilumbo(Ghosts who have been forced), nfumbe(Spirits/Ghosts who have been harnessed), and mpungo(Greater spirits, or Angels).

Nkuyo: The Spirit, is believed to be the true form of humans. We are not bodies with spirits in them, we are spirits who have acquired bodies. This categorization is based on Spirits, ones who help us and guide us threw our daily lives and do so with a caring and gentle touch. In essence these spirits are what make up our spiritual triangle or "spirit guides" as some mediums call them. These spirits are the ones we see time and again when we are in life and death situations and we swear someone helped us, but then the person just vanishes into thin air. (Keep in mind, these spirits voluntarily help us and are with us from the day we are born.)

Ndoki: The Ghost, is believed to be the negative essence plaguing us. Many would argue that Ghosts are corrupt spirits who are made corrupt by way of tragic events or sudden deaths in which the spirit did not have a chance to acknowledge that their body was dying, and as such they remain acting as if they were alive. Some of these Ghosts are believed to be truly infernal masses of energy and are not mistakenly categorized in the least. Be warned, Ghosts can amass enough energy to hurt you physically.

Kilumbo: The forced ghost is one of natures scariest energies because of it's unpredictable behavior. Most ghosts do not automatically engage in hunting and trying to destroy humans, only a limited number do. The problem is ghosts are already dark energies, and it is quite easy to tip the scale and make them go hunt someone down. Many people who practice black magic will commonly use ghosts to do harm onto others by offering the ghost something it wants in return for his service in attacking another person. There are people who actually know how to actually take full control of ghosts and harness them. You can technically keep a ghost hostage from his own existence in order to do your bidding. History has displayed time and again that when people obtain the knowledge of how it is done, they use it for evil, so for the sake of peace I will not share that information. Just as there are bad uses for capturing a ghost and holding him, there are good uses. For example, once he is captured, you can force him to do good deeds.. Or you can use this knowledge to take a ghost from a house which is haunted, instantly ending the haunting. In most cases however, this is all used as bad news and must be avoided at all costs.

Nfumbe: The harnessed Spirit/Ghost. This is where things get tricky, there are ways to force the hand of these energies and this is definitely one. Harnessing a spirit or a ghost consists of many ceremonies in which an agreement is reached between the person and the energy, in which the energy becomes entirely controlled by that person. This harnessing is beyond simply striking a deal to do this or that, it is in essence where you actually become one, and the energy is like having a third arm, you command it to move and it will. This is one of two parts of the faith that gains the bad reputation, because people abuse this fusion of person and energy to the fullest extent. There are those who become initiated just so they can use this ceremony and gain leverage over a ghost so that he may do their evil bidding on command. What is the difference between making a deal and harnessing the being? When you make a deal, it is a one-time thing.. If you want them to do something else you must strike another deal. When you harness a being, you command them unless the bond is broken(Which in most cases only happens when you die). Nfumbe are commonly used in our faith as our direct and constant communication to the other side, and our direct link to the mpungo. That would be the proper usage of such a strong ceremony, to link us to the other side in a way where even the blind can become mediums, have a profound and deep connection to earth and the energies surrounding us and using them to do good for ourselves and others.

Mpungo: The great spirits, or Angels. These massive beings of energy are in a completely different scale than spirits, and are truly mighty. Because we cannot directly relate to them, we use Nfumbe to do so for us. These angels are kind, and always willing to help us no matter how ridiculous we might consider our needs. They view us as their children, because they are tasked with watching over us like mothers and fathers would watch over their kids. Just as any mother that sees her child running with scissors would tell them to stop before they hurt themselves... When they see us making mistakes they tell us what they are and try to guide us on a path of light and good. Now things get complicated once again, these beings are also neutral. They are generally good, but have been known to do rash things.. For example, you did nothing wrong and a co-worker decided they would get you fired.. Chances are, that co-worker is going to have one hell of a month.

Notes: I would really like to point out that this faith is basically the belief in spirits, ghosts, the use of them and our connection to earth. While many understand that the faith was meant to be neutral and mainly used for good purposes, some bad apples mix in and use the faith solely to do dark and outlandish things to others. I do not condone the actions of all Palo Mayombe practitioners, just as I cannot control them, but the ones taught from me are not given an option but to use this for good.

If you have negative comments, please keep them to yourself. This is not a thread to bash other people's beliefs.. Just merely a thread where I attempt to enlighten others as to what this faith is truly about.

Edited by xFelix
  • Like 3

interesting read, compatible to some of my experiences. i remember a supervisor wronging me once and getting terrible flu for a week, i on the other hand had very memorable night that is to explicit to type ;)

p.s should break your texts up a bit, was a struggle to read

• Like 1

:)

Felix ,what are your feelings on Palo Monte .As to me,it seems much more dark ,compared to Mayombe ,in its actual practice.

I also want to add, i have repeatedly heard statements to the affect, "Palo mayombe is the dark side of Santeria . It is to Santeria,what Satanism is to Wicca".

I think this is because of the misconception of the nganga prenda ,but I'm not sure where the confusion of people looking at both religions comes from .

Most paleros I know,were originally practitioners of Santeria ,or know both .

Thank you for the post .

m(_ _)m

• Like 1

The faith has different branches, and in each branch there are different temples/houses.

Newer branches syncretize with Christianity more than the older ones.

The branch is referred to after the word Palo.

The main branches are:

Palo Monte

Palo Mayome

Palo Briyumba

Palo Congo

Palo Kimibiza

The oldest branch of Palo is Palo Monte, and because the faith was made to be neutral Palo Monte still includes many negative aspects as well as positive ones. The original goal was to know how to work with ghosts to do dark things if need be, or to work the lighter side with spirits if need be. Paleros are supposed to be neutral in stance, and only lean towards whatever side favors earth and nature. For example, a pedophile plagues an area... In that instance you are supposed to go dark and make sure he receives the full wrath of every negative energy you have available to rid the area of this abomination to humanity, but say a sickly mother is walking down the street you are supposed to ensure that the balance of nature remains in tact and do your best to rid her of her illness so that she may raise those kids that need her so dearly.

The problem with Palo Monte is that it placed the responsibility of choosing to do good or bad almost entirely on every individual person.

Note: Because Palo Monte is the oldest, it has the most corruption.

Edited by xFelix
  • Like 1

The faith has different branches, and in each branch there are different temples/houses.

Newer branches syncretize with Christianity more than the older ones.

The branch is referred to after the word Palo.

The main branches are:

Palo Monte

Palo Mayome

Palo Briyumba

Palo Congo

Palo Kimibiza

The oldest branch of Palo is Palo Monte, and because the faith was made to be neutral Palo Monte still includes many negative aspects as well as positive ones. The original goal was to know how to work with ghosts to do dark things if need be, or to work the lighter side with spirits if need be. Paleros are supposed to be neutral in stance, and only lean towards whatever side favors earth and nature. For example, a pedophile plagues an area... In that instance you are supposed to go dark and make sure he receives the full wrath of every negative energy you have available to rid the area of this abomination to humanity, but say a sickly mother is walking down the street you are supposed to ensure that the balance of nature remains in tact and do your best to rid her of her illness so that she may raise those kids that need her so dearly.

The problem with Palo Monte is that it placed the responsibility of choosing to do good or bad almost entirely on every individual person.

Note: Because Palo Monte is the oldest, it has the most corruption.

*nods nods*

Yes ,I know of the other branches . Someone tried to lure me into Palo Monte ,and just a cursory overview left me feeling cold.

Mayombe makes me warm and fuzzy ..

I do this bizarre thing in my head where i click from the voodoo ,to the santeria,to the Palo version of each deity ,ritual ,tenent.

I do this because i started with Santeria,then added voodoo,then Palo.

I rationalize their differences and choose which one is best for each situation .

I was told ,by a Nigerian ,"you don't know what you even are" ,and I looked at them like,seriously ? Its my understanding of their differences and similarities ,that makes me switch back and forth .

*shrugs*

Can't help it

^_^

• Like 2

The Nigerian is the one who didn't even know who you are.

The Mpungo's love you regardless of whatever you do, they love you for YOU.

Your guardian Mpungo could see your character flaws, and they will still love you like a mother or father would.

Trying to find the missing link between similar traditions is not some sort of big bad action, it is fine and actually a normal thing that many people do.

• Like 2

For example, a pedophile plagues an area... In that instance you are supposed to go dark and make sure he receives the full wrath of every negative energy you have available to rid the area of this abomination to humanity,

Sort of reminds me of satanism. (not saying it is, just that it sounds like it)

They're really heavy into the merciless revenge thing.

People seem to love revenge and violence against those they don't like and find all sorts of ways to justify their stance and subsequent actions.

Fortunately magic doesn't exist so one can think all the dark thoughts they want against another and nothing will happen.

Sort of reminds me of satanism. (not saying it is, just that it sounds like it)

They're really heavy into the merciless revenge thing.

People seem to love revenge and violence against those they don't like and find all sorts of ways to justify their stance and subsequent actions.

Fortunately magic doesn't exist so one can think all the dark thoughts they want against another and nothing will happen.

So basically you came on to an educational thread about a misunderstood pagan faith to say that it is Satanic, and then furthermore say that it is just flat out non-existant..

Edited by Saru
Rule quoting
  • Like 1

So basically you came on to a thread about a pagan faith to say that it is Satanic, and then furthermore say that it is just flat out non-existant..

I have every right to post and I really do not care if you like my views or not.

I simply said it SOUNDED like satanism because of a aspect of their dogma.

At any rate I agree to a point that all religions become corrupted; its precepts being twisted to serve the desires of the leaders of whatever era.

It is unfortunate because it seems the real meaning becomes irretrievably lost.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

So basically you came on to an educational thread about a misunderstood pagan faith to say that it is Satanic, and then furthermore say that it is just flat out non-existant..

I don't believe Ryu was trying to be antagonistic, not everyone shares the same beliefs - input from all angles is to be expected.

I don't believe Ryu was trying to be antagonistic, not everyone shares the same beliefs - input from all angles is to be expected.

Thank you.

I was not out to be 'antagonistic'. I also never said the religion was non-existent or satanic either. Just stating an observation....

• Like 1

Ndoki: The Ghost, is believed to be the negative essence plaguing us. Many would argue that Ghosts are corrupt spirits who are made corrupt by way of tragic events or sudden deaths in which the spirit did not have a chance to acknowledge that their body was dying, and as such they remain acting as if they were alive. Some of these Ghosts are believed to be truly infernal masses of energy and are not mistakenly categorized in the least. Be warned, Ghosts can amass enough energy to hurt you physically.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you believe in good ghosts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you believe in good ghosts?

No, ghosts tend to want to try and hide their identity. No being with good intention would deliberately hide their identity, only ones with bad intentions which is why Ghosts are all considered bad.

There are however, ways in which you can bring a ghost to the light and have them convert into a Spirit.

*snip*

Edited by Paranoid Android
removed deleted post
  • Like 1

No

Thats quite a negative view to take on ghosts.

Many people do believe in good ghosts, I respect that, but find it hard to respect a belief that shows blatant negativity towards them.

Thats quite a negative view to take on ghosts.

Many people do believe in good ghosts, I respect that, but find it hard to respect a belief that shows blatant negativity towards them.

Haha you misunderstood.

Spirits = good

Ghosts = bad

What you would call a "good ghost" we would call a spirit. It is a case of classification, not hate.

Many classify ghosts and spirits differently and believe in good and bad of each, where we believe that one type is good, the other type is bad.

Also I edited the post you commented to kind of elaborate in hopes you'd understand the why behind that

Edited by xFelix
  • Like 1

Haha you misunderstood.

Spirits = good

Ghosts = bad

What you would call a "good ghost" we would call a spirit. It is a case of classification, not hate.

Many classify ghosts and spirits differently and believe in good and bad of each, where we believe that one type is good, the other type is bad.

Also I edited the post you commented to kind of elaborate in hopes you'd understand the why behind that

*nods nods nods*

The key to this thread is WHY .

Why are you called Father "Chest Buster"?

Is there a central god figure in Palo Mayombe?

Is ancestor worship part of PM?

ETA: hope these are not stupid questions, I am truly curious.

Edited by phantasia

Father Chest Buster - This was a name given to me because in Cuba there is a brand of Cigerettes called Chest Busters which are so dang harsh that even people who have smoked for 10+ years tend to not finish one in a single sitting. When I was initiated into the Rites of Passage, I smoked three down to the filter of how scared and nervous I was.

While most other Christopagan faiths have some sort of trinity, Palo strictly proclaims that there is only one god, his name is Nsambi.

Yes it is part of the tradition to believe that our ancestors are all around us, and have much to do with how nature connects us to them.

No no, there are no stupid questions or even stupid opinions and even freetoroam's opinion that magic does not exist is fine, I just wonder why freetoroam seems so mad about our believing all ghosts are bad and all spirits good.

freetoroam would you share with us what you believe to be the difference between a spirit and a ghost?

*snip*

Edited by Paranoid Android
removed deleted post
  • Like 2

No,these are good questions ! Do ask :)

• Like 1

This sounds similar to the Ifa tradition of West Africa; is it a variation of it, or considered separate, like Santeria & Candomble, which is considered at Afro-Brazilian religion?

This sounds similar to the Ifa tradition of West Africa; is it a variation of it, or considered separate, like Santeria & Candomble, which is considered at Afro-Brazilian religion?

Actually Ifa and Palo are two separate traditions, and some Babalawo's do pass initiation to Palo..

Same applies for Lucumi and Candomble, it is separate.. but most do initiate into Palo.

I think much of the religion found on the islands ,began with Ifa,or maybe Haiti ....but changed as people migrated .Made it their own .

It's similar to how Buddhism began ...where ,India ,China ,but moved all over ,as people migrated .

Japanese Zen Buddhism ,or buddist traditions in Tibet or Thailand ,are very far removed from Buddhism in India or mainland China .

I think its the same with the afrocarribean religions .

It started one place,people moved,and took family traditions with them ,and it flourished in a new form ,in another place ,and is very different from the original .

We may never know where it all really began ,in either case.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Thread cleaned! There is no further need to drag this off topic by arguing whether someone was being negative. Remember, this is a discussion forum, you must expect there to be different opinions. And yes, this section is designed to avoid some of the skeptic-vs-believer style battles we sometimes get, but stating an opinion on a faith is not against the rules. Never has been, never will be.

• Like 1

Thread cleaned! There is no further need to drag this off topic by arguing whether someone was being negative. Remember, this is a discussion forum, you must expect there to be different opinions. And yes, this section is designed to avoid some of the skeptic-vs-believer style battles we sometimes get, but stating an opinion on a faith is not against the rules. Never has been, never will be.

But they weren't stating it about the faith .Magic is but a small part of the faith ,and,as I said before,that person states that,on every thread on the topic of magic .

We get it ,you don't believe in it ,fine .

No need to state it again ,on a thread about a religion we are trying to explain .

It's not like Catholicism or Judea .It's little known to most ,and its tenents unknown .

No one called what Jesus did magic ,but that's EXACTLY what it was . Sadly ,no one seems to get that part . It's why the Catholic church guards so many truths about true origins of Christ etc.

Oh no that is not presented as an opinion, that is presented as a fact. Not only is it presented as a fact, but it is presented as a fact in a manner of which entails a skeptic-vs-believer debate. Stating magic doesn't exist in a thread about a pagan faith is just about as far into skeptic-vs-believer as stating Jesus was not the messiah in a christian thread.

Also you edited my post where I clearly stated that my problem before wasn't with someone's opinion because we are all entitled to one.. but how it was presented as if it were fact.

"No skeptic-vs-believer" but when it happens "everyone has a right to their opinions", and when I tell them I don't care for their opinions because they are being rude and disrespectful "stop attacking people", but everybody knows that they are the ones coming to my thread and disrespecting my beliefs with false facts, so i'm the defender not the attacker.. Stop treating me like i'm the bad guy already.

This is just about as ridiculous as being attacked in your own home and being fined for defending yourself within your own home because the police declared you the attacker..

Edited by xFelix