Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jogger 'mauled to death' by four pit bulls

Still Waters

They need to regulate all pets and have their owners become licensed and take out insurance policies on them before they can own one.

There, I've changed something and we can agree on something!

Pit bulls have the highest fatal attack percentage if memory serves me correctly. But Labradors I think have the highest rate of bites (more popular breed too I guess) if memory serves me correctly once more.

Edited by Orcseeker

With proper socialization as pups they can prove to be rather intelligent. The above seems to be stereotyping. Intelligence for dogs is in terms of if they can be trained and how fast they will obey commands.

Guess what else? Most dog breeds are made by men from various other breeds. Some were made to be hunters, some sniffers, some to be social, etc...

The Frakenstein comment should not be soley reserved for any of the breeds that fall under the pit bull umbrella.

You don't understand, that's o.k , I'll explain.

Yes, alot of dogs are man-made, but for cuteness, size, intellengence, that type of thing, not to be another dog killer, and yes with good owners they might be fine , but that's the problem isn't it, no one other than drug dealers want them, not families or responsible people. Monsters for Monsters, that's why they were breed, like german shepherds, but the difference, brains and thats why Cops use German shepherds and not pit bulls. If you want a retarded dog that's fine, you see that they only come in 2 temperaments. Retarded vicious or retarded docile uselessness.

Raising any pet that's not a goldfish, heck even them, is a lot of work. It can be nice work if you like pets, but it's still work and responsibility to take care of them in many ways, including training them and bonding them.

Even my pet rats could kill a human being if they were vicious and sneaky about it, just bite the artery. I once put my hand in the pregnant mother's cage to give her some food.. bad idea, made me bleed twice, and I know she held back. They dont always do that when pregnant though, more prone in the last days of pregnancy.

Your comment is interesting Seeker... even rats come in variety of characteristics.. one of mine is an explorer and not so much a human's-friend, another's a cuddler baby and third is a homeboy-leader type. They all have colorful personalities. They act on conditions given. Not saying I dont believe you, just hard to believe that a pitbull would be less smart and uncharacteristic than a rat.

i hate pitbulls .. and every time i read story like this i have more reason to hate these dogs

this breed should be banned

there are plenty of gun threads here. let's not derail this thread.

Let's not derail? All it takes is a simple answer, which I suppose you cant answer. So your trying to avoid the question.

Let's not derail? All it takes is a simple answer, which I suppose you cant answer. So your trying to avoid the question.

Okay, tough guy....

What exactly is the question? Admittedly, I've had a few drinks, but I scanned the thread and can't find the exact question that I didn't answer.

Okay, so I guess you are arguing the "what about others guns/dogs" thing.....

Why am I to be held responsible for another;s gun/dog?

My guns have never killed.

My dogs have never bitten any other animal or human.

I am normally a Less Government the better guy, but I could see an exception for Pit Bulls, because these stories seem to happen every year.

Either that, or I wish the woman who lost her life was armed.

Raising any pet that's not a goldfish, heck even them, is a lot of work. It can be nice work if you like pets, but it's still work and responsibility to take care of them in many ways, including training them and bonding them.

Even my pet rats could kill a human being if they were vicious and sneaky about it, just bite the artery. I once put my hand in the pregnant mother's cage to give her some food.. bad idea, made me bleed twice, and I know she held back. They dont always do that when pregnant though, more prone in the last days of pregnancy.

Your comment is interesting Seeker... even rats come in variety of characteristics.. one of mine is an explorer and not so much a human's-friend, another's a cuddler baby and third is a homeboy-leader type. They all have colorful personalities. They act on conditions given. Not saying I dont believe you, just hard to believe that a pitbull would be less smart and uncharacteristic than a rat.

A rat is pure with no tampering by man and are very smart , had a female called Pollyanna. The brains in pit bulls weren't a priority when these dogs were developed and in fact intelligence was avoided .

I love dogs , I really do and I do know dogs are a product of there environment , a friend had her ear torn off by her pitbull , even though she brought it up from a pup with her own children.

Okay, so I guess you are arguing the "what about others guns/dogs" thing.....

Why am I to be held responsible for another;s gun/dog?

My guns have never killed.

My dogs have never bitten any other animal or human.

I am normally a Less Government the better guy, but I could see an exception for Pit Bulls, because these stories seem to happen every year.

Either that, or I wish the woman who lost her life was armed.

You the one who said you have no problems destroying all Pitbulls.

I have no problem with destroying all pit-bulls in the country and banning them moving forward.

But then turn around and say why should you be held responsible? So why should all Pitbull owners be held responsible for the action of a few incidents?

Before you say like you said in the quoted post "because these stories seem to happen every year". There are a ton more stories about gun violence. Now as you said this isn't a debate about guns. I was just pointing out the questions you seemed to avoid due to you seemingly not being able to answer them. This is the only thing I will say about guns OFF TOPIC, I have no issue with guns as a whole. But I think semi auto and full auto guns should be kept in wars not on the streets. Glocks, Pistols etc. I see no issue with people owning them.

• Like 1

The thing is, Pitbulls are not more likely to attack you then say a Golden Retriever, it's just that when they do attack they are more likely to be more aggressive. This is because they are big muscly predatory and territorial animals. For every Pitbull that bites there are probably 6 that don't but given the bad rap they have and the severity of the attacks. However you have to go in to see who owned these. Most of the time the dogs are mistreated by there owners, or trained as guard dogs (which makes them more likely to bite unknown people).

However one of the nicest most friendly, and calm dogs I have ever had the pleasure of sitting on the couch with was a Pitbull. He was strong, he was loyal, and he was protective. But he was also friendly. Sure I wouldn't have him around small children unsupervised, but thats more because the child is likely to poke and annoy the animal, hell I wouldn't leave any small child around any dog unsupervised.

The point is no breed dog is more likely to attack and bite anyone more then any other breed of dog. Like every human is a product of their environment, so is every animal. A loved dog will be a loving dog.

• 3 weeks later...