Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is There A Decline?

No Censorship

If you're talking about E's Unsolved Mysteries with AJ Benza, I've been watching them recently on UTube. I remember watching them when they 1st were shown. They don't wear too badly.

PS to the people who make Finding Bigfoot. FIND ONE!!!!!

• Like 1

If you're talking about E's Unsolved Mysteries with AJ Benza, I've been watching them recently on UTube. I remember watching them when they 1st were shown. They don't wear too badly.

PS to the people who make Finding Bigfoot. FIND ONE!!!!!

I meant the original version with Robert Stack. The later hosts don't have the same hosting style. UM was one of the first shows to present paranormal stories to mainstream viewers during primetime hours in an acceptable and believable manner. It likely was such a hit because it had missing person, quirky news, true crime, etc. segments along with the ones about things like mass sightings of triangular craft. You never saw Robert Stack chase shadows in alleged haunted houses, either. I doubt that he would've freaked out at each creak and crack of the house settling. The segments had all the drama. The host didn't need to create it.

• Like 1

'Drama' ... that's the word .... they can't tell the difference between drama and 'dramatic' anymore ...

Karl Pilkington

I like this guy because of his - sincerity, honesty and down to earthiness that is so rare nowadays ....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HC7oc3KngIXiU

He doesn't do drama or over drama .... or even comedy but he's funny as hell

• Like 1

I liked Unexplained Mysteries (wish it still aired, wait I don't have a t.v. :cry: .) Also when I was a kid I loved the saturday night matinee with all the horror movies. Mummies, Wolfman, Dracula, ect. Ok NOW I feel old.

'Drama' ... that's the word .... they can't tell the difference between drama and 'dramatic' anymore ...

Karl Pilkington

I like this guy because of his - sincerity, honesty and down to earthiness that is so rare nowadays ....

http://www.youtube.c...l/HC7oc3KngIXiU

He doesn't do drama or over drama .... or even comedy but he's funny as hell

Do you recall the old paranormal program that features Dr. Franklin Ruehl as the host? He looks like a character from some film, but he's for real. He's still alive and kicking, as far as I know. He has to be in his eighties.

Do you recall the old paranormal program that features Dr. Franklin Ruehl as the host? He looks like a character from some film, but he's for real. He's still alive and kicking, as far as I know. He has to be in his eighties.

Sorry I can't say I am familiar with the good Dr. Franklin Ruehl ... but I do see the incredible Dr Pol now and again on the NGW channel ...

http://natgeotv.com/ca/the-incredible-dr-pol

they don't make men like this no more ....

• Like 1

I liked Unexplained Mysteries (wish it still aired, wait I don't have a t.v. :cry: .) Also when I was a kid I loved the saturday night matinee with all the horror movies. Mummies, Wolfman, Dracula, ect. Ok NOW I feel old.

Most markets had those kinds of shows. We had Doctor Creep and Cool Ghoul (which was before my time). They hosted horror programs on which all of those great Universal, Hammer, Vincent Price, etc. movies were shown. That was our generation's version of drive-ins.

I don't watch much more than the local news. I dislike reality TV, it's not reality. I HATE the pattern of five minutes of TV and six minutes of advertisements ( why do we have to PAY for cable when that cable is 60% or better paid advertisements? Due to the changing laws a while back here in Seattle if you don't have line of sight with the transmitter tower you can ONLY get Paid Cable)

we need a law that states If there is a commercial on the channel, even just pausing for station Identification ( how many of you remember that phrase? :no: ) they cannot charge for the channel, no exception!

I remember a time when you could sit up all night long watching movies. I remember midnight theatre and the foremost movie. I still occasionally watch unsolved mysteries on cable and some of the cop shows or fishing shows but not often they seem fixed and are vulgar. I would not work for people like some of those bosses. ( I have quit more than one job due to foul mouthed bosses like some of those on reality TV now days. )

so as far as I am concerned for those of us who can remember " YES there is a big ( monstrously big ) downward trend."

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 2

14812_534778623212956_2138635696_n.jpg

its just not the same anymore ....

• Like 1

I don't watch much more than the local news. I dislike reality TV, it's not reality. I HATE the pattern of five minutes of TV and six minutes of advertisements ( why do we have to PAY for cable when that cable is 60% or better paid advertisements? Due to the changing laws a while back here in Seattle if you don't have line of sight with the transmitter tower you can ONLY get Paid Cable)

we need a law that states If there is a commercial on the channel, even just pausing for station Identification ( how many of you remember that phrase? :no: ) they cannot charge for the channel, no exception!

I remember a time when you could sit up all night long watching movies. I remember midnight theatre and the foremost movie. I still occasionally watch unsolved mysteries on cable and some of the cop shows or fishing shows but not often they seem fixed and are vulgar. I would not work for people like some of those bosses. ( I have quit more than one job due to foul mouthed bosses like some of those on reality TV now days. )

so as far as I am concerned for those of us who can remember " YES there is a big ( monstrously big ) downward trend."

I referred to only paranormal and speculative programs, but I wholeheartedly agreed with your post. The decline covered all kinds of television. You brought up some good examples. Many of these posts brought an old Bruce Springsteen song to mind. I forgot the title, but it was something like "87 Channels And Nothing To Watch". Our cable tier has been like that tune for ages. Most of the cable movies and series stunk. The quality programming moved to a more expensive tier. Reality shows played a part in that. The cable channels replaced their appropriate programs with reality series, and they put their appropriate programs on new channels that were not available on our cable tier. So, we were stuck with shows, about buyers and sellers of stuff, instead of the appropriate historical and scientific series that once aired on historical and scientific channels. :lol: We got stuck with Honey Boo Boo on The Learning Channel (along with the cakes, dwarfs, gypsies, polygamists.)

the ultimate Pink Floyd line on TVs //

~ I've got thirteen channels of **** on the TV to choose from .... choose from ... ~

I was just thinking about this. When I was growing up there were lots of excellent paranormal documentary shows around, but now there's just boring ghost hunting shows and celebrity ghost stories. Like some of you say, it's not just paranormal TV thats in decline either. I used to be an avid Tv watcher, but now I hardly even turn the set on at all.

the ultimate Pink Floyd line on TVs //

~ I've got thirteen channels of **** on the TV to choose from .... choose from ... ~

"From which to choose" would have seemed pedantic. Rhythm trumps grammar when it comes to good songs.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this. When I was growing up there were lots of excellent paranormal documentary shows around, but now there's just boring ghost hunting shows and celebrity ghost stories. Like some of you say, it's not just paranormal TV thats in decline either. I used to be an avid Tv watcher, but now I hardly even turn the set on at all.

I don't mind "Pawn Stars". I can do without the fifty variations of it, though. You can find some of the best programs and series on pay channels, and they seem to be where the best writers are. Some of the shows beat Hollywood films.

Yeah, I love breaking Bad and a few other shows,but there's definitely been a decline, due in no small part to the huge number of reality TV shows that are being used as cheap programming in most genres.

• Like 1

Firefly................................sob......

Oh man, I loved Firefly! It's so unfair great shows like that get cancelled when there's so much garbage being renewed for season after season.

Yeah, I love breaking Bad and a few other shows,but there's definitely been a decline, due in no small part to the huge number of reality TV shows that are being used as cheap programming in most genres.

The bottom line is the bottom line. Quality shows are expensive. "Breaking Bad" is one of the best series. It has better acting and writing than most major movies.

Networks don't give series a fair shake. They don't give them time to develop.

The programs of that past made you think, the programs of today are strictly to entertain.

The programs of that past made you think, the programs of today are strictly to entertain.

Some of that might be nostalgia and selective memories on our parts. "Night Court" isn't too thought-provoking. On the other hand, I'm with you if you're talking about the series that were on channels like Discovery. Some of the best shows, from many cable channels, are no longer available on standard tiers.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing beats Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack. I miss watching it, the stories were detailed, easy to follow and straight forward, filled with suspense, eerie music and sound effects, with somewhat decent actors. The show gave people the chills, and at times could be absolutely real and terrifying knowing this could possibly be happening to you. Another very creepy and really good show but very underrated was Sightings hosted by Tim White.

• Like 2

Nothing beats Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack. I miss watching it, the stories were detailed, easy to follow and straight forward, filled with suspense, eerie music and sound effects, with somewhat decent actors. The show gave people the chills, and at times could be absolutely real and terrifying knowing this could possibly be happening to you. Another very creepy and really good show but very underrated was Sightings hosted by Tim White.

I love those shows. Like you, I enjoy and prefer their presentations over that of the disconnected and unorganized style of many current programs. "Paranormal Witness" is a relatively new speculative series that you might appreciate since it's a bit like U.M. in its format. People talk about what they experienced while the events are reenacted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I referred to only paranormal and speculative programs, but I wholeheartedly agreed with your post. The decline covered all kinds of television. You brought up some good examples. Many of these posts brought an old Bruce Springsteen song to mind. I forgot the title, but it was something like "87 Channels And Nothing To Watch". Our cable tier has been like that tune for ages. Most of the cable movies and series stunk. The quality programming moved to a more expensive tier. Reality shows played a part in that. The cable channels replaced their appropriate programs with reality series, and they put their appropriate programs on new channels that were not available on our cable tier. So, we were stuck with shows, about buyers and sellers of stuff, instead of the appropriate historical and scientific series that once aired on historical and scientific channels. :lol: We got stuck with Honey Boo Boo on The Learning Channel (along with the cakes, dwarfs, gypsies, polygamists.)

Bruce's song is 57 Channels And Nothings On. I love Unsolved Mysteries...I bet I've seen most of 'em 4 or 5 times. (don't tell anyone) Who loves American Horror Story or The Killing?

And the first Reality Show was The Loud Family. A PBS documentary that aired in 1973. Twelve parts and it covered the lives of a "normal" American family. It was WAY before its time. As I recall, one son was gay, or it was strongly suggested, and the parents end up divorcing...sorry, my mind is hitting a wall.

Anyway, reality TV is a furtherance of the dumbing down of mother earth....thank God there are plenty of books...even the bad ones are better then what shows up on TV nowadays....

• Like 1

I don't watch TV much anymore, except for the local news so I can see what the weather will be.