Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Thermal invisibility cloak,1st demonstration

4 posts in this topic

Researchers have built and tested a form of invisibility cloak that can hide objects from heat.

Similar cloaking efforts are underway to make objects invisible to light and even sound waves, but this is the first device to work with heat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-22462853

Still a long way off from actually making a person invisible, good really, cos I can see an proper invisible cloak being used far more widely by the criminals, like guns and knives, they will all want one and any would be criminal will be up for this to, to start their career rolling.

Great technology, but the use? not sure of the benefits for the good of mankind.

I am not a criminal, but if I could have an invisible cloak, well, apart from a bit of mischief, I reckon I would be visiting my nearest Barclays. :whistle:

2 people like this

Great technology, but the use? not sure of the benefits for the good of mankind.

I rather doubt this technology will find any use in any sort of stealth application.

Thermal imaging works by detecting differences in the radiant heat emitted by an object. IF this technology could be perfected and made into clothing (and that is a big if, since the cloaking principle at work here depends largely on the geometry of the system), then presumably one could wear this and walk through a fire without getting burned (but not lie down in fire, since this technology requires a cold sink).

But the FBI would still be able to see you with there thermal imaging, because you are still emitting heat. The cloak won't stop that from being radiated.

[/size]

I rather doubt this technology will find any use in any sort of stealth application.

Thermal imaging works by detecting differences in the radiant heat emitted by an object. IF this technology could be perfected and made into clothing (and that is a big if, since the cloaking principle at work here depends largely on the geometry of the system), then presumably one could wear this and walk through a fire without getting burned (but not lie down in fire, since this technology requires a cold sink).

But the FBI would still be able to see you with there thermal imaging, because you are still emitting heat. The cloak won't stop that from being radiated.

I was quite liking the walking through fire idea until i read the cold sink bit.

I like the idea of new technology but so far can not see the purpose of this.