Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if we are all in a virtual reality?

TheTreasureGamer

What if the December 21st 2012 apocalypse really did occur, but at the last moment, before it happened, all of humanity and everyone else were plugged into a virtual machine, that allowed us to live our lives as normal in a simulated reality; a simulated version of Earth? Ala the Matrix? And in the real Earth, it is now a barren, post-apocalyptic wasteland overrun by mutant versions of ourselves; and our souls were plugged into the simulation as to live life still in this new Earth. Everything feels, smells, tastes, looks, and sounds like Earth, but it is just a simulation? Now, I'm not saying this is true because even I think it's on the verge of being considered crazy, but it is just an interesting thing that I thought about.

I think I would have known if I had been "plugged" at the last moment.

• Like 1

Yeah, but I didn't fill in all the details in my theory. You don't realise you are plugged in, because you can't tell the difference between Real Earth and Simulated Earth.

Yeah, but I didn't fill in all the details in my theory. You don't realise you are plugged in, because you can't tell the difference between Real Earth and Simulated Earth.

I am a very light sleeper, trust me, I would have known, ask my husband.

• Like 1

Hahaha...But can we stick the jokes aside?

I don't believe this because I think I would of chose a better reality.

you don't have to, it's just a little theory that probably isn't correct. And plus, ironically you don't believe my theory because you didn't read it properly. The simulation theory doesn't mean you choose your reality; you stick with the one you have right now, which is this one; Earth.

• Like 1

If there is no way to distinguish, then there is no way to know. Distinguish = know.

By the way, I think its probable that we've been in a virtual world ever since the Big Bang, and whatever simulation produced it was in its own simulation, and so on, maybe or maybe not ad infinitum.

Yeah I agree. And if we have been in a virtual world since the Big Bang, then is God simply a product of simulation and isn't real?

"Uncounted worlds constantly rise and fall, each the dream of a Brahma who is the dream of a Brahma."

I would like to take Buddhist credit for that but it was a Hindu who said it.

Even if we are in a simulated version of Earth, I don't care. But if it's true, what happens to us when we die? If we are in a simulation, when we die do we wake up in the real, apocalyptic Earth? Oh no.

I would say more than likely you will stretch, unplug yourself, and say, "Well, as lives go, that one was just average."

It's also possible I created the simulation, thereby making me your god.

• Like 1

If so, then hello God.

I like creeping myself out by thinking up strange philosophical theories like the simulation one.

If so, then hello God.

I like creeping myself out by thinking up strange philosophical theories like the simulation one.

You can show your appreciation by donating money to me.
  • Like 1

I don't think I should be donating to God. But whatever, here, have some simulated cash!

An interesting idea. There's been lots of 'simulated universe' threads here, but this puts a different twist to the subject. I think a natural occurring universe is identical to a simulated universe anyway, in the sense that, what is it, the thing itself? We can define behavior, but not what is behaving. What is behaving may be a naturally occurring algorithm identical to an artificially created algorithm in some computer.

That said, who creates this simulation that we are all plugged into? Friendly aliens? God? I do think this scenario is a possibility. Perhaps during the cold war we did annihilate ourselves, but here we still are.

Would whatever did this ever contact us and tell us all about it?

Would whatever did this ever contact us and tell us all about it?

Maybe when our subscription is about to expire. or the credit card we used to pay for it.

well David Icke is saying that we live in matrix and he started saying that ages ago.

He even wrote quite few books about it. I newer had a chance to read them but from his lectures on TV i think those books should be quite interesting.

well David Icke is saying that we live in matrix and he started saying that ages ago.

He even wrote quite few books about it. I newer had a chance to read them but from his lectures on TV i think those books should be quite interesting.

One of his many insane claims.

I'm not familiar with this business, but have long wondered how we would tell if we were in a simulation, and the fact is if it is a good simulation we would not know, until, I suppose, we die in the simulation and wake up in reality.

The thing that gets me is the probabilities. If simulations are possible, then they are being done, and it begins to become the overwhelmingly more likely situation -- that is it would be far more likely we are in a simulation than not. Indeed, simulations would themselves contain simulations (after all they "simulate").

Yeah, a simulation in a simulation. Simception, featuring Leonardo Di Simulatio.

What about hallucinations though? If we are in a simulation, could it be possible that hallucinations; such as visual hallucinations are glitches. Or what if visual hallucinations are slight pieces of the real world leaking inside the simulation. And you know when you hear someone call your name when nobody is there? What if it's someone trying to wake you up, so you will be able to escape the simulation?

You don't realise you are plugged in, because you can't tell the difference between Real Earth and Simulated Earth.

easy way to determine the truth of your hypothesis (it's not a theory.)-

1) would I invent someone as mind-crushingly dull as simon cowell.

2) no.

3) the real world exists.

unfortunately.