Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

At least a dozen shot at Mother's Day parade

Silver Surfer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22506029

As many as 12 people have been shot during a Mother's Day parade in the US city of New Orleans, police say.

Police Supt Ronal Serpas told reporters the victims included a 10-year-old who sustained a minor wound.

Local media, quoting officials, said three of the victims are in a critical condition.

TV station WWL-TV said three suspects were believed to have been involved and were still at large. It is unclear what sparked the shooting.

The station said nine people were taken to the city's University Hospital, of whom eight had gunshot wounds and one was injured while escaping the shooting.

==================================

Too early to say yet, but gangs could be it.

• Like 4

What a horrible thing to do.

• Like 4

I can't see a motive. Guess it's too early to tell. Going by logic there would be no reason to do this without a target or any gain. (like money etc)

It would be a waste of bullets for a gang, which costs money.

• Like 2

I can't see a motive. Guess it's too early to tell. Going by logic there would be no reason to do this without a target or any gain. (like money etc)

It would be a waste of bullets for a gang, which costs money.

Well, they could have seen someone or some people they didn't like like and opened fire, and started shooting at each other. These people don't really have much regard for human life. It said they were looking for three people.

• Like 3

What few people know is that the FEMA was conducting their own Mother's Day party not two blocks away....

Ha ha :tu:

• Like 1

This hasn't even made on to CNN, ABC, NBC, or CBS online news yet.

Probably because mass shootings are so frequent in the USA now it is not really shocking news.

So horrific it has got this bad.

The BBC in the UK had a small piece on it. It came after a football manager that has retired. It use to big a big deal but seems to be a regular monthly occurrence.

• Like 1

As many as 12 inured in shooting at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

DEVELOPING: New Orleans police are searching for three suspects Sunday after at least 12 people were shot during a Mother’s Day parade.

Chief Serpas announced in a press conference that the youngest victim is believed to be a 10-year-old girl. Police say she suffered a graze wound, WVUE Fox 8 reported.

Police say about 300 were attending the traditional jazz band parade when shots were fired.

Serpas said that the procession had been accompanied by officers, who saw two or three suspects run from the scene in the city's 7th Ward.

Nobody has been arrested. It's unclear what sparked the gunfire.

Eleven patients have been admitted to Interim LSU Public Hospital with no life threatening injuries, hospital spokesperson Marvin McGraw said.

Second-line parades are loose processions in which people dance down the street, often following behind a brass band. They can be impromptu or planned and are sometimes described as moving block parties.

A social club called The Original Big 7 organized Sunday's event.

No other information was immediately available.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2T7IKj9Er

Thank God no one was killed...

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 2

Probably because mass shootings are so frequent in the USA now it is not really shocking news.

The BBC in the UK had a small piece on it. It came after a football manager that has retired. It use to big a big deal but seems to be a regular monthly occurrence.

No, mass shootings are still big news here. It's all the drunk drivers who kill and maim people you don't hear every story about on national news.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 4

No, mass shootings are still big news here. It's all the drunk drivers who kill and maim people you don't hear every story about on national news.

i think he means about shootings started by gangs, you dont see any of them being reported in the UK. I guess the british press dont want people to become scared when going on holiday

• Like 1

3 people involved? Sounds to me like some street beef. Couple idiots wearing different colored shirts saw each other and fired at will. If this is the case it wouldn't exactly be a standard mass shooting. This is what happens when rabid animals with no regard for others have illegal guns. Oh I'm sorry. Maybe we should try to understand them first. Yea right. Find 'em and hang 'em.

• Like 4

i think he means about shootings started by gangs, you dont see any of them being reported in the UK. I guess the british press dont want people to become scared when going on holiday

I agree that gang violence is not reported as it should be. Here (and there too?).

• Like 1

3 people involved? Sounds to me like some street beef. Couple idiots wearing different colored shirts saw each other and fired at will. If this is the case it wouldn't exactly be a standard mass shooting. This is what happens when rabid animals with no regard for others have illegal guns. Oh I'm sorry. Maybe we should try to understand them first. Yea right. Find 'em and hang 'em.

We understand them - we understand that they're pillocks.

• Like 1

We do not need the British press to tell us about gang crimes.But when there are gang crimes they do report them, they got no choice today, what with twitter and that.

So far none of the news reports have mentioned gangs, on this side of the Atlantic or theirs.

No I meant gun violence. In the UK we don't bat an eyelid anymore because we hear so much coming from the states.

We are of course sympathetic to the victims, but don't really find it surprising whether it is gangs, lone nutters or terrorists.

• Like 2

Unfortunately most violence in this country comes from gangs but I'm not seeing any news agencies yet blame it on gangs.

I hope the victims survive this.

• Like 4

I really do hope this changes the way the American government look at the gun culture and who they really should be targeting. NOT the responsible gun owners who respect their guns and others lives, but the gangs!

After all that has happened, all the poor children killed because of a nutter with a gun, all of the fighting over whether the laws should be changed, all those people fighting for their rights to own a gun, what happens? some low life gang members go out and have a shoot up like the rabid animals they are!

For crying out loud American, you do not need to fight your government to keep your guns, you should be fighting your government to hunt down those gangs which literally do seem to get away with murder, let alone the press coverage they deserve!

• Like 4

It does seem "the norm" and the shock factor is lessening for me with each case. I'm afraid Sandy H ook, shocked the shock outta me . Just saddens me so much, that it's common.

• Like 1

I don't know New Orleans. I've never been there. But there are places in my hometown where shootings and finding bodies in the street are no longer news. As soon as you hear the name of the neighborhood on the evening news you know what's coming next. . I suspect most big cities are the same. They all have places that locals know to avoid. Places where nothing good ever happens. The fact that it's Mother's Day is immaterial. It happens on Christmas and the Fourth of July. The problem is not lack of gun control. As I understand it guns are very strictly controlled now, even though there are holes in the background check portion of the law. But I would wager that most crimes are committed with illegal guns, stolen from legal owners with pristine pedigrees and traded on the black market. No matter how strict the laws become those guns will be just as available as they are now. The problem, as I see it, is the tolerance we have for these kinds of events and the people who commit them. Whenever there is a list of suspects to accompany the story on the news, or the perpetrators are caught, they always show pictures with lines behind their heads. In other words, mug shots. They've been caught before, often for other gun related crimes, and released. I hardly ever see a novice involved in a street crime. So what we need to stop the carnage on our streets is not gun control but criminal control. The laws that need to be toughened are the ones concerning the shooters, not the thing being shot. Since most shooters of this type are repeat offenders, automatic life sentences for use of a gun in a crime, the first time, would go farther towards ensuring the peace than anything currently under discussion.

• Like 6

I really do hope this changes the way the American government look at the gun culture and who they really should be targeting. NOT the responsible gun owners who respect their guns and others lives, but the gangs!

After all that has happened, all the poor children killed because of a nutter with a gun, all of the fighting over whether the laws should be changed, all those people fighting for their rights to own a gun, what happens? some low life gang members go out and have a shoot up like the rabid animals they are!

For crying out loud American, you do not need to fight your government to keep your guns, you should be fighting your government to hunt down those gangs which literally do seem to get away with murder, let alone the press coverage they deserve!

I agree. Gang violence is out of control in the major cities. Something needs to be done about these animals. And their guns are always obtained ILLEGALLY. Why won't the government address escalating gang violence?

I don't know New Orleans. I've never been there. But there are places in my hometown where shootings and finding bodies in the street are no longer news. As soon as you hear the name of the neighborhood on the evening news you know what's coming next. . I suspect most big cities are the same. They all have places that locals know to avoid. Places where nothing good ever happens. The fact that it's Mother's Day is immaterial. It happens on Christmas and the Fourth of July. The problem is not lack of gun control. As I understand it guns are very strictly controlled now, even though there are holes in the background check portion of the law. But I would wager that most crimes are committed with illegal guns, stolen from legal owners with pristine pedigrees and traded on the black market. No matter how strict the laws become those guns will be just as available as they are now. The problem, as I see it, is the tolerance we have for these kinds of events and the people who commit them. Whenever there is a list of suspects to accompany the story on the news, or the perpetrators are caught, they always show pictures with lines behind their heads. In other words, mug shots. They've been caught before, often for other gun related crimes, and released. I hardly ever see a novice involved in a street crime. So what we need to stop the carnage on our streets is not gun control but criminal control. The laws that need to be toughened are the ones concerning the shooters, not the thing being shot. Since most shooters of this type are repeat offenders, automatic life sentences for use of a gun in a crime, the first time, would go farther towards ensuring the peace than anything currently under discussion.

Great Post! :tu:

• Like 1

The gangs are out of control. I think cops in a lot of cities are afraid of them and with good reason. I think its sad because you are poor and have to live in a city you have to put up with gangs. Not a life I would want.

Shooting victims are up to 17 now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57584102/girl-16-others-wounded-in-a-new-orleans-mothers-day-shooting/

• Like 3