Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If God made us in his image, does God sin?

TheTreasureGamer

I do not know what to believe in when it comes to what happens to us, or if there is a God.

If I were to say I was even close to believing anything, Christianity is on the bottom, and Buddhism is on the top...

With, when we die, we are done, off like a light switch being a top contender.

And, I am not making fun, I am answering by knowing some of the " teachings ", but not being biased at all.

I agree with you that when you die that's it your lights are off

God created everything did it not so god is the father of sin. God and the devil are the same.

God created everything but your forgetting he gave all his creations FREE WILL his creation then created sin

God created everything but your forgetting he gave all his creations FREE WILL his creation then created sin

I don't think either of you are correct. There are a few things that god did not create. Love, and justice are the two I can think of right now.

God is love, thus you cannot create something you are.

Justice comes hand in hand with laws/rules.

If God did it, it is not a sin. This is definitional.

Is something sinful because God says it is or does God say it's sinful because it is sinful? If the former, what if God changes His mind? If the latter, is sin above God?

The problem is that some people make no distinction between what God said and what people said God said. there's all kinds of people good & bad who claim to speak for God, but 3rd hand information, IDK, it's hard for me to trust. I would trust God, but not those who claim to speak for him.

But, when Satan was a serpent, she did not know he was Satan. He was something she had control over, so he tricked her. Does this mean Satan sinned, and eve did not, or did Sin serpent Satan, while Satan serpented the Sin?

I've always believed this story to be allergorical, a teaching story, not actual fact. How would the dialogue change, how would WE change if we looked for the lessons? I like stories from which I can learn something that will make my life better in some way, that imparts some wisdom. As for Eve & the talking serpent, I don't buy for a minute that this is the genesis of sin. It may be a story about resisting temptation, or about consequences, or responsibility, or duplicity, any number of things. Eve could be an archetype, as could the serpent and/or Adam, it could be a story like Joseph Campbell's description of the hero's journey. All of those possibilities make the story more interesting to me.

how many people here actually believe in god? and how many people are just here to make fun?

I don't believe in God but I am not here to make fun either. Don't be paranoid. God makes an interesting logical exercise in hypotheticals even when one long ago realized it was all false.

Of course the Adam and Eve story is allegory. I strongly doubt the people who first wrote it down (no doubt from a prior oral tradition) actually thought it was actual history.

As such it has some unfortunate aspects. Women are clearly portrayed negatively, and as inferior Animals are portrayed as existing for no reason other than to serve man. The same applies to nature. Physical work is portrayed as being the result of a curse, not as a source of pride, as dishonorable. God is portrayed as someone who sets little traps and then punishes severely not just the persons who fall into His petty traps, but also all their descendants. Nudity is portrayed as horrible and shameful. Even stupid cultural attitudes about snakes are reinforced.

• Like 1

They had authority over snakes yes, But the serpent in question was satan who came down to pursuade Eve to eat from the fruit. So no she didnt have authority over Satan,

The author of Genesis seems to think it was just a serpent.
  • Like 1

The author of Genesis seems to think it was just a serpent.

I remember many years ago being astonished when this was pointed out to me. The identification of the serpent with Satan seems to have been a later evolution.
  • Like 1

'God'? No God of mine would do the things you have stated. I would rather burn forever in hell away from such a tyrant, than spend one minute with such a being in 'heaven'.

The old testament God is often simply just the justification used by leaders at the time to commit atrocious acts and get the people to back them up. People who think these passages describe a real God, and not only that, but a God who later on in the new testament is all about forgiveness and love- such people must be smoking some real good s*** in order to believe that.

Hell is a nasty place where you suffer for all eternity, from what I've heard (leaving the details aside). Basically endless, eternal torture. That's what I've been told in my religion.

Don't think you'd want to go there.

Heres how I understand it god made Adam and Eve and they were perfect, Then satan came down into the garden as a snake and Influenced Eve to eat from the fruit and that it would give her great knowledge, Eve ate from it and convinced Adam to also. God saw what they had done and then said your children will fall from perfection and through generations man became less perfect, and started to break the laws that god gave them, such as false worship, and murder, and it keeps going on and on. Of course this is me summarizing it up quickly

Wow, I thought a loving and caring God would have done everything in his power to prevent his "children" from getting into trouble. Should be easy since he is omnipotent and created the whole universe on a whim. And if his "children" did sin, shouldn't he lovingly correct them and guide them back to the right path? Isn't that what a loving "parent" would naturally do?

One more thing, I never understood the phrase "made in his image".

It's even more bizarre than that . . .

God creates Adam & Eve, then he creates sin, has them sin, then sends his only son down to die for this sin that he created in the first place! That is a Psychopath :unsure:

I really don't want to say bad things about God if he really is a good god. But I'm finding difficulty in viewing him as loving.

You know what I find ironic? There is a song that goes "God is good all the time".

Edited by Mnemonix

~snip

I really don't want to say bad things about God if he really is a good god. But I'm finding difficulty in viewing him as loving.

You know what I find ironic? There is a song that goes "God is good all the time".

Don't you get tired of your games ... ?

936355_577859215581380_137601481_n.jpg

• Like 1

Except, God's place (imo, if he/she exists) is not to play the role of babysitter. You have complete control over your actions and that's the point of being alive. Would anybody grow if they knew they could rely on God to save them everytime they were in trouble?

Sure, because anything is possible with God.

Don't go telling me now that God is limited and cannot do anything! :)

Actually what I'm trying to say is that a god who is unlimited should be able to think outside the box.

Edited by Mnemonix

What does being made in his image mean?

Does it mean that we were not meant to sin?

I never thought of it that way.

Isn't it weird that the use of the word "Lucifer" is actually nothing more but the planet Venus? you know, when it appeared as a daystar in the morning ? Yet written down sometime long after in a book it's said that he (Yeshus) says he is the bright and morning star , Is it possible that a mistranslation had occured ? Could it had been that the word utilized was " Heylel " , which means light bearer, to bring the light .At the time in "Latin" the word "Lucifer " only referred to the daystar or morning star that was seen in the sky, isn't it possible that a misinterpretation had happened here pertaining to "Christ Jesus" and "Lucifer" and also the planet venus being called a daystar?

I think there's been lot's of misinterpretation of things in history .

Lucifer is much more than simply the name for 'Venus'

Lucifer is mentioned in Publius Ovidius Naso's "Metamorphoses", which was written in 8 C.E

Roman poet Virgil mentions him as far back as 29 BCE

In Greek mythology, Hesperus, the Evening Star is the son of the dawn goddess Eos and brother of Eosphorus the Morning Star (Eosphoros "dawn-bearer"; also Phosphorus, Lucifer "light-bearer").

Lucifer is the Principle of Compassion for Life and Creation, the Light born in the Womb of Darkness . . . defiance of authority when wrong and the Principle of Spiritual Evolution.

Lucifer is a Collective Name for Spiritual Freedom. Non-Theistic Luciferians, as myself, are not concerned about Abrahamic symbolism, we understand that archetypal images such as demons and angels or any forms of a god are merely symbols towards stirring the Psyche. Metaphorically speaking, Lucifer is not an Adversary as the word Satan (Shaiten) describes. Lucifer is the 'Bringer of Light' in other words Lux Lucis and is Truth and Divine Knowledge.

But, when Satan was a serpent, she did not know he was Satan. He was something she had control over, so he tricked her. Does this mean Satan sinned, and eve did not, or did Sin serpent Satan, while Satan serpented the Sin?

That is the Abrahamic view.

What really took place was that Lucifer the Serpent, upon realizing that god's intentions were to control and manipulate his flock of sheeple by denying them the fruits of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, sacrificed his own place in heaven in order to allow Mankind the Knowledge of becoming as gods themselves.

• Like 1

What does being made in his image mean?

See my post, #26, think about it.

I don't believe in God but I am not here to make fun either. Don't be paranoid. God makes an interesting logical exercise in hypotheticals even when one long ago realized it was all false.

Im not being paranoid its just easier for me to answer people when I know where there coming from, what you believe is what you believe thats not for me to decide.

What really took place was that Lucifer the Serpent, upon realizing that god's intentions were to control and manipulate his flock of sheeple by denying them the fruits of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, sacrificed his own place in heaven in order to allow Mankind the Knowledge of becoming as gods themselves.

I think Adam and Eve were more god-like before they ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Once the duality of good and evil was realized, humankind was separated from god.

Augustine underlined that the fruits of that tree were not evil by themselves, because everything that God created was good (Gen 1:12). It was disobedience of Adam and Eve, who had been told by God not to eat of the tree (Gen 2:17), that was obnoxious and caused disorder in the creation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_the_knowledge_of_good_and_evil

So, in this understanding, disobeying god was the sin, not the gained knowledge of good and evil.

• Like 1

The topic title really explains a lot of what I'm asking. If God made us in his image, then does he sin? Now, logically I'm not saying everyone sins. There are good people too, full of joy, love, and gratitude plus happiness. But face it; this is the truth - if you summed up mankind in one word, spanning our ENTIRE history, then what would it be? Personally, I think sick. Not sick as in "that's so cool dude!" but sick as in "that's disturbing, horrible, and mental".

"sick (horrible)" is an opinion. You can choose to change your opinon and look at it differently. Whether you look at those events as "sick" or "perfect" it will still be the same, the only difference is by disagreeing with it you are fighting with the reality of the past - which is a fight that can't be won since it already happened.

....but...hang on....didn't...God say he made us...in his image? OK, so then what does that make God? Why do some believe in this entity if they may already know that he made us like him and there are horrible people like the list above? What does that really say?

It says that God is free from the mental judgment humans place on things (aka acceptance) if he truly did make these destructive individuals.

"this should not be" , "that shouldn't have happened" but do these thoughts affect reality at all?

People complain all day of all the bad things in the world but are they actually DOING anything about it? If not, there is no reason to keep thinking about it and complaining.

• Like 1

The topic title really explains a lot of what I'm asking. If God made us in his image, then does he sin? Now, logically I'm not saying everyone sins. There are good people too, full of joy, love, and gratitude plus happiness. But face it; this is the truth - if you summed up mankind in one word, spanning our ENTIRE history, then what would it be? Personally, I think sick. Not sick as in "that's so cool dude!" but sick as in "that's disturbing, horrible, and mental".

Gaddafi

Hitler

Caligula

The Boston Bombers

Al-Qaeda

Kim Jong Un (he seems likely to pull off a devastating attack in the foreseeable future, making him as bad as Hitler)

There are SO much more names I could put down. This is incredibly sad, because it means and it shows how mentally sick us humans can become.

....but...hang on....didn't...God say he made us...in his image? OK, so then what does that make God? Why do some believe in this entity if they may already know that he made us like him and there are horrible people like the list above? What does that really say?

What is good and evil made out of? With no material basis for their existance then they arent real.

You cant apply non-real properties to God.

Good is what helps; evil is what harms. They have metaphysical reality. What confuses people are that the same phenomenon can be both. Things are not good or evil; consequences are.

god-ness needs no conscience because god-ness is not consciousness ... god-ness is existence ...

we come to recognise god-ness through consciousness ... with conscience being your guide your ...

~ give a little whistle :whistle:

I don't see conscience as being an infallible guide. What "feels" right to us may still have devastating consequences, and it is extremely easy for us to persuade ourselves that if it feels good it must be good. Our conscience is really just a set of mostly leaned rules of our culture that we picked up in childhood from our indoctrination and our peers. For important decisions we can let it guide us, but only so far, and must always rationally think about what the consequences of our acts are likely to be before deciding something is right or wrong.

• Like 2

the art of sin is merely a human conception. so, if one thinks god can sin then i suppose for your sake he can.

and remember, were all just an imagination of ourselves and nothing really exists.

something to think about tonight.