Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy

and-then

This is happening more and more with advances in predicting our possible futures.

She made a decision that was right for her. Good for her! This option saves lives. I'm glad woman have choices to be cancer-free to the best of their and medical science's ability. I wonder how many on UM personally know someone who's had breast or ovarian cancer. I know several including close family members.

I applaud celebrities who come forward and share their very personal stories. A lot of women get checked because of them, believe it or not.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 3

I've heard of other women doing this except they weren't famous people and didn't attract as much interest from the media.

We are lucky to have the option nowadays compared to what women used to have. I go for regular mammograms, they're not full-proof but better to go than not to go is how I feel. A member of my family has had a Double Mastectomy due to cancer, and a friend has also had one breast removed.

When I was in hospital last year there was one lady who'd had both breasts removed in an effort to get rid of her cancer, but it hadn't worked as they couldn't get it all the Dr told her....very sad.

• Like 3

Stupid

I agree and I suspect Brad will be finding a new wife.

As 87% shows breast cancer isnt caused specifically by genes otherwise it would be 100%. Therefore she should have simply changed her diet and took up exercise instead.

If you listen closely you can hear what sounds like rain all around the globe. Those are the tears of many men falling to the ground. :cry:

• Like 3

I don't blame her for that since her mother died of breast cancer and her chances of getting it is so high. I've read where other women have done this. Better than death.

• Like 2

Therefore she should have simply changed her diet and took up exercise instead.

You have that choice for you if you choose, she chose another for her.

Changing her lifestyle is still an option for her if she feels it necessary. She looks fit to me!

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

I got some mad respect for her, this could cause her to lose her job, yet she goes through it with the though of her children.

• Like 3

I agree and I suspect Brad will be finding a new wife.

As 87% shows breast cancer isnt caused specifically by genes otherwise it would be 100%. Therefore she should have simply changed her diet and took up exercise instead.

I hope Brad isn't that superficial. If he is he didn't love her to begin with. If you find out you have the gene then you can follow your own advice.
  • Like 3

I think this was an incredibly brave act. She thought of her children growing up without her and made a brutal decision. As far as diet and exercise, come on man, she is nothing but muscle and I am sure she is on a highly specialized diet.

• Like 4

I hope Brad isn't that superficial.

I agree, my guess would be if he ever leaves her it is because they are a "Hollywood Couple" and history is stacked against them. It is almost a certainty, not because she had a mastectomy.

Edited by QuiteContrary

She did what she thought was best for her. Personally I would have waited and gotten checked often to see if anything abnormal was developing before I made that decision.

However, she is wealthy so she can get implants. She won't remain breast-less for long.

• Like 2

I got some mad respect for her, this could cause her to lose her job, yet she goes through it with the though of her children.

Yep.... Hollywood is a fickle place. She also has an activist father who is pretty much hated for his conservative views as well. On the other hand she may become wildly popular because of it. I hope that is her fate. We buried an absolute angel of a woman last year at this time after she had fought this disease 15 years and had had a double mastectomy. She taught me a lot about courage and grace
  • Like 2

I would never cut a piece of my body just because I could develop a disease there.

• Like 1

I applaud Jolie for her brave act. :clap:

Breast cancer, (and just plain cancer) runs rampant in my family. Both my great-grandmothers had it, and so did one of my grandmothers, and several aunts and great-aunts...Some had to have a Mastectomy, others a double Mastectomy. But they didn't have money for breast reconstruction and had to wear these fake implants in their bras....of course this was all a long time ago, too.

I've had a yearly mammogram every year since I was 19, because of my family history. Just because your young and healthy doesn't mean it won't happen to you.

• Like 1

Yep.... Hollywood is a fickle place. She also has an activist father who is pretty much hated for his conservative views as well. On the other hand she may become wildly popular because of it. I hope that is her fate. We buried an absolute angel of a woman last year at this time after she had fought this disease 15 years and had had a double mastectomy. She taught me a lot about courage and grace

My mother-in-law just lost a good friend to cancer. Her friend had developed breast cancer, ovarian cancer, pretty much every type of cancer, and had this same gene, too.

It was so sad. She fought so long and hard. Never complained, and always had a smile on her face...

She has her kids to think about, six of them .... which is I believe, her first priorities in her making the decision for this op

• Like 3

I would never cut a piece of my body just because I could develop a disease there.

But do you consider her act cowardly or brave?

But do you consider her act cowardly or brave?

Neither one. It's the decision she deemed right for herself, and I respect that. But I don't think I need to applaud her for that, since that she has the money to get the best plastic surgery available - which most people do not have. If it's brave or cowardly, that depends on your point of view. Someone saying he wants to fight the cancer and keep the affected body part or organ is not any less brave.

• Like 5

I think it's very brave of her. I've got two kids and if I was in the same situation and I could afford it I would definitely have it done, anything that could potentially take me away from my kids would be just heartbreaking and I would do anything I could to reduce that chance. I applaude her.

• Like 1

Neither one. It's the decision she deemed right for herself, and I respect that. But I don't think I need to applaud her for that, since that she has the money to get the best plastic surgery available - which most people do not have. If it's brave or cowardly, that depends on your point of view. Someone saying he wants to fight the cancer and keep the affected body part or organ is not any less brave.

Very pragmatic and I agree with this more than what I stated earlier. Thanks..

• Like 1

I applaud her decision, both from a genetic health aspect(in her case), as well as wanting to live for her husband and children.

Some cancers can become very aggressive and life-limiting, even if not initially diagnosed as such.

To my understanding this particular cancer, and her genetic tests, showed a very high probabilty of eventual lethal aggressiveness.

Good for her on her decision. Like someone here said, took a lot of courage.

• Like 2