Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aurora texas UFO crash 1897

Brazos Paranormal

One of these accounts appeared in the April 19, 1897, edition of the Dallas Morning News. Written by Aurora resident S.E. Haydon,[2] the alleged UFO is said to have hit a windmill on the property of a Judge J.S. Proctor two days earlier at around 6am local (Central) time,[3] resulting in its crash. The pilot (who was reported to be "not of this world", and a "Martian" according to a reported Army officer from nearby Fort Worth)[4] did not survive the crash, and was buried "with Christian rites" at the nearby Aurora Cemetery. (The cemetery contains a Texas Historical Commission marker mentioning the incident.[5])

Reportedly, wreckage from the crash site was dumped into a nearby well located under the damaged windmill, while some ended up with the alien in the grave. Adding to the mystery was the story of Mr. Brawley Oates, who purchased Judge Proctor's property around 1945. Oates cleaned out the debris from the well in order to use it as a water source, but later developed an extremely severe case of arthritis, which he claimed to be the result of contaminated water from the wreckage dumped into the well. As a result, Oates sealed up the well with a concrete slab and placed an outbuilding atop the slab. (According to writing on the slab, this was done in 1957

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora,_Texas,_UFO_incident

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Saru
Added source link

A hard look at all of the facts surrounding the case can lead a reasonable person to only one possible conclusion—the airship crash never happened—the whole thing was a hoax.

http://www.spaceship...-ufo-crash.html

Edited by DBunker

I saw this on the History channel, was an interesting story. I thought the grave marker had been removed.

There still hasn't been an explanation for the metal MUFON's John Schuessler had lab analysis on.

It be interesting to know where the source came from. If it's truly unexplained.

There's a thread on MUFON's forums:

Aurora, Texas Metal

Everyone go to MUFON's forum and post something. It's really easy to create an account there.

There still hasn't been an explanation for the metal MUFON's John Schuessler had lab analysis on.

It be interesting to know where the source came from. If it's truly unexplained.

There's a thread on MUFON's forums:

Aurora, Texas Metal

Everyone go to MUFON's forum and post something. It's really easy to create an account there.

So where is the report? What did said report conclude?

Cheers,

Badeskov

The problem here is that I beat most of these people to Aurora by several years to conduct my own investigation. I talked to some of those same longtime residents who told me in the early 1970s that nothing had happened. I talked to the historians at the Wise County Historical Society (Aurora is in Wise County) who told me that it hadn’t happened, though they wish it had. I learned that T.J. Weems, the famed Signal Corps officer was, in fact, the local blacksmith. I learned that Judge Proctor didn’t have a windmill, or rather that was what was said then. Now they suggest that he had two windmills. I wandered the grave yard, which isn’t all that large (something just over 800 graves) and found no marker with strange symbols carved on it, though there are those who suggest a crude headstone with a rough airship on it had been there at the time. I found nothing to support the tale and went away believing, based on my own research and interviews, this to be another of the airship hoaxes.

Metal collected by all those others, when analyzed here, turned out to be nothing strange or unusual. Some of it was later analyzed in a Canadian lab and their results mirrored those of American labs. So much for the idea that the government, in the guise of the CIA, the Air Force, or the mythical MJ-12, conspired to suppress evidence of the Aurora UFO crash.

Isn’t it interesting, though, that none of the metal supposedly gathered by the town’s residents has ever surfaced. The metal analyzed was always recovered by researchers with metal detectors. Isn’t interesting that the strange grave marker has since disappeared and there is no real photographic record of it. There should be for all the research that has been done and the single picture that has turned up showed not an airship but a coarse triangle with circles in the center. And isn’t interesting that there were never any follow up reports from Aurora. First the big splash with the crash and then nothing for more than sixty years.

The final, fatal blow for the airship and Aurora crash comes from the original reporter. H.E. Hayden, a stringer for the Dallas Morning News, who claimed to have invented the story in a vain attempt to put his dying community back on the map. He hoped to draw attention, and people, to Aurora, Texas. He was successful. The problem was that he succeeded sixty years too late and those who arrived only wanted to learn about the airship, not settle down to rebuild the community as he had hoped.

LINK

So where is the report? What did said report conclude?

Cheers,

Badeskov

Watch the video with John Schuessler and the UFO Hunter episode in the MUFON thread.

The problem here is that I beat most of these people to Aurora by several years to conduct my own investigation. I talked to some of those same longtime residents who told me in the early 1970s that nothing had happened. I talked to the historians at the Wise County Historical Society (Aurora is in Wise County) who told me that it hadn’t happened, though they wish it had. I learned that T.J. Weems, the famed Signal Corps officer was, in fact, the local blacksmith. I learned that Judge Proctor didn’t have a windmill, or rather that was what was said then. Now they suggest that he had two windmills. I wandered the grave yard, which isn’t all that large (something just over 800 graves) and found no marker with strange symbols carved on it, though there are those who suggest a crude headstone with a rough airship on it had been there at the time. I found nothing to support the tale and went away believing, based on my own research and interviews, this to be another of the airship hoaxes.

Metal collected by all those others, when analyzed here, turned out to be nothing strange or unusual. Some of it was later analyzed in a Canadian lab and their results mirrored those of American labs. So much for the idea that the government, in the guise of the CIA, the Air Force, or the mythical MJ-12, conspired to suppress evidence of the Aurora UFO crash.

Isn’t it interesting, though, that none of the metal supposedly gathered by the town’s residents has ever surfaced. The metal analyzed was always recovered by researchers with metal detectors. Isn’t interesting that the strange grave marker has since disappeared and there is no real photographic record of it. There should be for all the research that has been done and the single picture that has turned up showed not an airship but a coarse triangle with circles in the center. And isn’t interesting that there were never any follow up reports from Aurora. First the big splash with the crash and then nothing for more than sixty years.

The final, fatal blow for the airship and Aurora crash comes from the original reporter. H.E. Hayden, a stringer for the Dallas Morning News, who claimed to have invented the story in a vain attempt to put his dying community back on the map. He hoped to draw attention, and people, to Aurora, Texas. He was successful. The problem was that he succeeded sixty years too late and those who arrived only wanted to learn about the airship, not settle down to rebuild the community as he had hoped.

LINK

Keven Randle is one of those off and on UFOlogist. One thing I noticed about Randle is that he tends to spin articles on his blog. In reference to the metal he isn't very specific just calling it normal in refernece to nothing. This is counter to MUFON's John Schuessler and UFO Hunters who are more specific in the lab analysis.

Good links, psyche and DB,... another non-event turned into a golden cow by media. I wish we had one of those tourist traps where I live.

Good links, psyche and DB,... another non-event turned into a golden cow by media. I wish we had one of those tourist traps where I live.

Aurora, Texas isn't much of a tourist trap if you've ever been there.

• Like 1

Neither is Roswell. Although, they'll continue spewing the lie.

Edited by Sweetpumper
  • Like 1

Yes Indeedy doo ! Aurora is quite the Ghost Town even today ! It almost blew away in the Late Fourties !

But The tombstone to my knowledge is Long Gone ! Stollent by Little Green Aliens I bet ? So need not waist your time running out to Aurora Tx thats a For Sure deal ! :alien::no:

Yes Indeedy doo ! Aurora is quite the Ghost Town even today ! It almost blew away in the Late Fourties !

But The tombstone to my knowledge is Long Gone ! Stollent by Little Green Aliens I bet ? So need not waist your time running out to Aurora Tx thats a For Sure deal ! :alien::no:

I actually tried to find Aurua, Texas once while driving around in North Texas. There was a lightning storm and it was getting dark so I gave up. North Texas is filled with neo-conservatives so it's kind of not a great place to be to begin with, you know?

Aurora, Texas isn't much of a tourist trap if you've ever been there.

Not from the lack of trying Im sure. Its been on TV. Books. There must be some stuff to look at if you can find the damn place,... but yea, Roswell does it better.

Keven Randle is one of those off and on UFOlogist. One thing I noticed about Randle is that he tends to spin articles on his blog. In reference to the metal he isn't very specific just calling it normal in refernece to nothing. This is counter to MUFON's John Schuessler and UFO Hunters who are more specific in the lab analysis.

Ohhh stuff and nonsense.

Here is John Schuessler's paper - LINK

It says:

X-ray -fluorescence analysis determined the sample to be free of zinc. This was an unexpected finding, since the samples retrieved from the east of the well site contained zinc. The soft x-ray spectrographic analysis verified the high purity of the aluminium, the inclusion of iron, and the absence of copper.

So nothing otherworldly so far.

They also say:

Investigators were able to locate a crude headstone marking a grave in the local cemetery.

Is this the Alien grave? They do not say,they allude it might be. Yet Kevin Randle was unable to find any grave with a direct correlation. so does the alleged grave even exist? It would appear not.

And the weak excuse they used for not going near the grave they did not find, but alluded to?

Perhaps the people of Aurora were afraid their longstanding popularity would be diminished if the grave were opened and science proved the whole event was a hoax.

If they did not suspect a hoax, why fear it, and why would the townspeople fear the investigation unless they too know this is a hoax?

And the locals are none to convincing either:

Through constant contact with residents of the area we have broken through their usual ly taciturn attitude and now find th© consensus is "there probably was a UFO crash --- but we can*t be sure about a pilot." Seven point out they hav heard the crash report "all our lives" but add no one mentioned the pilot as reported by S.S. Haytlen and Judge proctor in a small type of local newspaper ho was putting out at the time. The only original Aurora newspaper had folded from lack of business as half the inhabitants of Aurora died of typhoid fever the winter before the&rash, the cotton crop failed and the expected construction of a railroad into Aurora went broke all within 12 months.

And this:

2 - Preliminery analyses of the metals which show:

100% pure tin Recovered by Fred Kelley, a professional treasure hunter of Corpus Christ!, and analyzed by American Smelting Co. Both Kelley and the company's scientists could give any reason why "pure tin" should be found there.

Not to mention this most interesting comment:

"Thus, in view or the evidence we cannot label H.E. Hayden's story a hoax in every detail. "

So pretty much the townspeople grew up with some long winded story, the proof such as the alleged headstone does not exist, and most locals accept the story is pretty darn loose and most likely cooked up to drum up business as has been proposed. The metal samples are nothing short of embarrassing in that grown men would fawn over them as they do when one cas clearly see that they are quite earthly. If it was space aluminium, the Isotope ratio would tell that story.

Just anther UFOlogy camp fire story. It is amazing that the story telling side of UFO's are taken by so many as seriously as the real work projects such as Hessdalen.

lionelhutzalien.jpg

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

Well THe Aliens are coming to Dallas tonight ! THere even on the Radar,and many thousands of eyewitnesses ! :alien::gun:

Well THe Aliens are coming to Dallas tonight ! THere even on the Radar,and many thousands of eyewitnesses ! :alien::gun:

I think aliens have profiles on UM and comment on UFO articles to cover their tracks by saying it's all our imagination. :w00t::alien:

Ohhh stuff and nonsense.

Here is John Schuessler's paper - LINK

It says:

X-ray -fluorescence analysis determined the sample to be free of zinc. This was an unexpected finding, since the samples retrieved from the east of the well site contained zinc. The soft x-ray spectrographic analysis verified the high purity of the aluminium, the inclusion of iron, and the absence of copper.

So nothing otherworldly so far.

They also say:

Investigators were able to locate a crude headstone marking a grave in the local cemetery.

Is this the Alien grave? They do not say,they allude it might be. Yet Kevin Randle was unable to find any grave with a direct correlation. so does the alleged grave even exist? It would appear not.

And the weak excuse they used for not going near the grave they did not find, but alluded to?

Perhaps the people of Aurora were afraid their longstanding popularity would be diminished if the grave were opened and science proved the whole event was a hoax.

If they did not suspect a hoax, why fear it, and why would the townspeople fear the investigation unless they too know this is a hoax?

And the locals are none to convincing either:

Through constant contact with residents of the area we have broken through their usual ly taciturn attitude and now find th© consensus is "there probably was a UFO crash --- but we can*t be sure about a pilot." Seven point out they hav heard the crash report "all our lives" but add no one mentioned the pilot as reported by S.S. Haytlen and Judge proctor in a small type of local newspaper ho was putting out at the time. The only original Aurora newspaper had folded from lack of business as half the inhabitants of Aurora died of typhoid fever the winter before the&rash, the cotton crop failed and the expected construction of a railroad into Aurora went broke all within 12 months.

And this:

2 - Preliminery analyses of the metals which show:

100% pure tin Recovered by Fred Kelley, a professional treasure hunter of Corpus Christ!, and analyzed by American Smelting Co. Both Kelley and the company's scientists could give any reason why "pure tin" should be found there.

Not to mention this most interesting comment:

"Thus, in view or the evidence we cannot label H.E. Hayden's story a hoax in every detail. "

So pretty much the townspeople grew up with some long winded story, the proof such as the alleged headstone does not exist, and most locals accept the story is pretty darn loose and most likely cooked up to drum up business as has been proposed. The metal samples are nothing short of embarrassing in that grown men would fawn over them as they do when one cas clearly see that they are quite earthly. If it was space aluminium, the Isotope ratio would tell that story.

Just anther UFOlogy camp fire story. It is amazing that the story telling side of UFO's are taken by so many as seriously as the real work projects such as Hessdalen.

lionelhutzalien.jpg

FYI. Kevin Randle wouldn't be an expert on the Aurora crash and still know answer where the metal originated from. Btw. Kevin Randle was caught lying to Omni magazine so I wouldn't put too mcuh stock in him. See: “The Case Of The Vanishing Nurses,” by PaulMcCarthy.

FYI. Kevin Randle wouldn't be an expert on the Aurora crash and still know answer where the metal originated from. Btw. Kevin Randle was caught lying to Omni magazine so I wouldn't put too mcuh stock in him. See: “The Case Of The Vanishing Nurses,” by PaulMcCarthy.

Randles response to MCarthy's information was:

Before you begin to laugh too hard, let me point out that the OMNI article by Paul McCarthy is wrong. At no point have I admitted to fabricating anything. That whole missing nurses fiasco belongs to Don Schmitt and Don Schmitt alone. In fact, contrary to what McCarthy alleges, I was kept no better informed than he was. Schmitt was off on his own tangent there. For the last year, I have had as much trouble getting Schmitt to return my calls as everyone else.

These untruths do not appear in either of the books I wrote about Roswell. Yes, I did the writing. Schmitt would review the rough draft of chapters for the first book and then add his comments. Sometimes I would use what he wrote, if I had verified it. Many times I wouldn't, because his changes were not particularly well written.

He did contribute one chapter, which was the ‘Conclusions’. In it, he claims that he had searched for the records of eleven men. He could not find those eleven records. The Air Force researched the names and found the ‘missing’ records for most of them The others were of men with such common names that no determination could be made...

In the second book, Schmitt didn't even bother to make any changes. He was too busy doing other things to care about the book. The chapters would come back with no comments, or in a couple of cases, with comments written by someone else. He was so busy that he couldn't even take time to make sure he approved of the work. Let someone else do the work and then take credit for it!

Everything I put into the books, I knew to be the truth because I had researched it myself, or I had checked to make sure the documentation existed. The research as it appears in the book is solid. Audio and video tapes exist, others besides Schmitt have interviewed the witnesses, and there is documentation to support the conclusions.

That said, let me now point out that I do not now believe anything that Schmitt says and neither should you.... I will have nothing more to do with him from this point on. He has revealed himself as a man who cares only for his own promotion. He has destroyed his work and badly damaged mine… I didn't know the real Don Schmitt. Now I do...

(Saucer Smear Online)

However, you have illustrated that the UFOlogists with the same premise come up with different answers, which I feel indicates that they are just chasing each others tails.

Edited by psyche101

Is Kevin Randle trying to do damage control? He's just another funny UFOlogist who really doesn't desrve the popularity. From debunkers who have issues with aliens to funny UFOlogist that appear on the UFO circuit. They watch too much detective televison shows and think that's them. Grow a musctache and put your mug shot on the internet with a spin doctoring blog.

Edited by topsecretresearch

I'm open that the Aurora texas crash could be ET and the Airship wave had some ET/UFO truth to it.

- A lot of disc have a shiny metallic aluminum appearance to them.

- A lot of UFO occupants are described as short.

- I think the people who recovered and buried the body descied him as a "spaceman."

Again, no one has an expalantion for the metal recovered. Highly purified alunimun was probably not used for barbed wire fences in Texas right? Probably not a piece of a beer can or used for a wind mill. People who exclaim "no evidence" seem to be dismissive when evidence does surface. Oh yeah, natural. Then where did it come from? = no answer or silence.

Edited by topsecretresearch

Interesting,... how the believers always seem to cherry-pick what they need to make a story real, and simply just ignore the rest.

That is not even BAD investigating. That is just looking for the stuff that supports what you wish were true.