Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot

seeder

Yup its another smart gun capable of killing you for sure....

"A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses"

A new rifle goes on sale on Wednesday, and it's not like any other. It uses lasers and computers to make shooters very accurate. A startup gun company in Texas developed the rifle, which is so effective that some in the shooting community say it should not be sold to the public.

It's called the TrackingPoint rifle. On a firing range just outside Austin in the city of Liberty Hill, a novice shooter holds one and takes aim at a target 500 yards away. Normally it takes years of practice to hit something at that distance. But this shooter nails it on the first try.

The rifle's scope features a sophisticated . The shooter locks a laser on the target by pushing a small button by the trigger. It's like a video game. But here's where it's different: You pull the trigger but the gun decides when to shoot. It fires only when the weapon has been pointed in exactly the right place, taking into account dozens of variables, including wind, shake and distance to the target.

more:

http://www.npr.org/b...w-rifle-on-sale

and when that one day gets mounted on Darpas Big Dog, then 'skynet' has truly begun

BigDog_Beach.png

• Like 2

Anyone with good vision without Parkinsons' can and good equipment can learn to shoot like that in maybe two or three days. I don't see the big deal.

QUOTE-

Every shot is recorded so it can be

replayed, or posted to YouTube or

Facebook

''woohoo! dude! look at the pink mist coming offa that guy's head!''

'nah man, it's just photoshop'

:-)

let's hope this rifle is smart enough to detect a shooter on one of his/her bad days ....

I think the 'rarely' misses could be a key factor with this.

say SWAT use them in a hostage situation, a bank robbery or something. SWAT guy tags a bad guy, lights blue touch-paper & stands well back. just as the gun fires, a hostage freaks and makes a run for the door, crossing the path of the bullet and gets hit.

as the gun fires autonomously, who gets the blame for shooting an innocent hostage?

is it the manufacturer? the software engineer? the SWAT guy?

that's the trouble with 'smart' weapons like this, who gets the blame when they start acting a little dumb....?

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

It will all come down to the numbers. How many mishaps with human snipers vs/ how many with the smart rifle.

Heck, Just yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine who has, in the past, worked for DARPA, about active earthquake stabilization systems, and he mentioned he was working on a miniature one. Being that I was talking about using the server versions of the stabilizars to mount .50 cals on humvees, he's problably working on putting a miniature one into an auto-tracking rifle or machine gun.