Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Everybody Read Hamza Kashgari Day

eight bits

Since May 20, 2010, an annual protest has featured a call for free people around the world to draw pictures of Mohammed. This was originally a protest against censorship, but by last year had lost both energy and focus.

One person who was supposed to have benefitted from the 2012 "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" was Hamza Kashgari, a writer being held in a Saudi prison for tweeting ordinary and civilly experessed reflections on his relationship with Mohammed.

That didn't work out so well. Kashgari is still in jail, and hasn't had a trial. So, this year, maybe free people might consider a different form of protest: reading what Kashgari wrote. Here it is, all 111 words of it:

On your birthday, I will say that I have loved the rebel in you, that you’ve always been a source of inspiration to me, and that I do not like the halos of divinity around you. I shall not pray for you.

On your birthday, I find you wherever I turn. I will say that I have loved aspects of you, hated others, and could not understand many more.

On your birthday, I shall not bow to you. I shall not kiss your hand. Rather, I shall shake it as equals do, and smile at you as you smile at me. I shall speak to you as a friend, no more.

There are several points of discussion. With non-Muslims, is this an effective form of protest, both as a reminder of the simple freedoms that can so easily be lost to pressure groups, and also as some possible help to the beleaguered Kashgari? With our Muslim members, I'd like to open a dialog about the verses themselves:

What’s wrong with any of these ideas, within a faithful Islamic framework?

Isn’t Mohammed a human being according to the Islamic faith?

Wouldn’t acquiescing in placing a “halo of divinity” around Mohammed be a serious lapse?

Isn’t bowing to a man for religious reasons idolatry?

These questions, and some discussion of the issues appear at

http://uncertaintist.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/this-may-20th-read-hamza-kashgari/

As I understand it :

Its not the content but the intent ... with that only Mr Hamza Kashgari can convince the leaders of his community of his innocence ...

But with the form and manner of protests in support of Mr Hamza Kashgari all over the world ...

Mr Hamza Kashgari don't stand a chance ... whatever his initial intentions ....

• Like 1

As long as people permit themselves to be governed autocratic theistic governments this kind of thing will continue. I think there is a lot of other good reasons for a draw Mohammad day other than this poor guys beleaguered fate. Just a stand against fundamental nuttiness in general no matter what religion your dealing with, which is the true problem.

• Like 2

whats the need for people to want to show Mohammed, Islamic people revere him and find it extremely insulting to make light of him. its idiotic to make jests of muhammed, its like hitting a bees nest and then rebuking the bees behaviour. if you are to take any thing from my comment answer this: Do you think muslims can change their beliefs? when part of their beliefs are that their beliefs don't change.

I know people think this is backwards of me but you need a reality check if you think you can ever change perpetual doctrine.

• Like 1

I revere trees and nature, in the same way Muslims revere Mohammed, but I don't go of the deep end every time I see somebody knocking down a tree. I see Mohammed in the same class as L Ron Hubbard, they both did essentially the same thing, power and profit off the gullible. If you think he is all great and wonderful fine, but why expect and force others to bow to your belief system just carries it to far. As long and nobodies getting hurt I don't care what people believe. Putting people in jail because they don't see religion your way is just wrong. It is no way for civilized people to behave.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 3

So is going up to poeple's home and accuse their ancestors of being evil, stupid liars and their parents mindless, idiots for teaching them as kids to be the same ...

whatever the intentions or even IF truth, its not the way to go about things ... it applies to all forms of beliefs ... nobody will take it with silent acceptance ...

554808_581521848538633_255813906_n.jpg

• Like 2

I get the part where somebody in Saudi Arabia was offended by what Kashgari wrote. What I'm still not getting is where's the offensive part?