Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I've been knocked back from 450 jobs

Commander CMG

A job-hunter claims he has been left unemployable because he is covered in tattoos.

Yusuf Hameed, 40, has been knocked back from dozens of jobs over the last year because of his unconventional appearance.

His body art includes a Buddhism symbol on his forehead, two Thai boxing tattoos on the back of his head, and a yin yang on the back of his head.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

While I do empathize with him in some ways, the real world is not accepting of anything, especially tattoos.

The harsh reality is that we are judged by our appearance each and every day, all day long and when you go for interviews, those sorts of tattoos are going to attract attention.

I understand his plight in that he is well qualified to do the jobs he has applied for but if you are going to apply for an office job then sadly those same tattoos are going to be a stumbling block. He has few choices except to either have them removed or cover them somehow.

I feel for the man but sadly tattoos are just not acceptable in the workplace these days.

• Like 2

I was expecting a lot worse before I saw his photo. He only has a few tattoos. He could be a car mechanic or a sales clerk at a record store.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I have very little sympathy with this sort of thing. Every day I see young people with facial tattoos, ear stretchers & nose & facial piercings and the first thing I think is 'okay you're making a statement about your individuality, but did you stop to consider that you've severely limited your chances in the job market.'

I've yet to see an attractive tattoo. I know that people shouldn't be judged on appearance but the fact of the matter is they are.

At the end of the day your appearance sends a message & it's a message employers do not want to send.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4

I agree. There is a time and place for lots of things but when it comes to jobs and interviews, those sorts of things need to be left at home.

It is no different than a child being told that 'No they cannot wear their mickey mouse pajamas to school' or telling your kid that a halter-top and ultra short shorts are not acceptable garb for school or college.

We all have restrictions placed on us depending on where we are..it's life and it is also very necessary too.

• Like 1

lol hell ive delt with this kinda bs all my life like my jr year of high school that summer i got my first ink and i was proud of itthat whole transfurence from a teen to manhood only did i realy under stand later on in life it wasnt what defined me as who i am today now many years later since that first ink i have 2 full sleeves and a1/2 back several blow outs and a lot of scare cover ups

but still it doesnt change me for who i am only what others think i might be ..i did my 5 years in college got my masters was in the armed forces got the office /public job after life tossed a bad hair ball i lost my self driveing truck cross country only to end up back finding my self where i once started being me for my self my ink i wear only tells part of my life story from one page to the next

but ashamed 'im not my ink defines me as only me unlike every one else there for i do stand out in a croud i am my self and no one else is me

I really like his tattoos, but his beard on the other hand, ugh it just does not suit him.

• Like 1

I can't believe we live in such a judgamental society.

But maybe he should just get rid of his tattoos. his beard isn't a problem, loads of muslims have those beards and they get work

arrow3.gifView: Read more

If someone has facial tatoos then they should be applying for jobs where they'll have no face-2-face contact with customers like in a warehouse or an office. I dont think thats his problem.

I think its that he looks like Charles Manson causing people to make negative judgements about his character.

I can't believe we live in such a judgamental society.

But maybe he should just get rid of his tattoos. his beard isn't a problem, loads of muslims have those beards and they get work

But we do, & because of his tattoos it's now his problem. All bodily adornment, piercings, tattoos etc are just another aspect of fashion & as we all know, fashions change.

He may have thought that facial tattoos were cool when he was 19 or 20 but when you start entering your 'golden years' they just look ...well...chav.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

weird thing is, this guy lives in my home town, he lives where I live, and, noticeable as he may claim to be, i've never seen him before in my life!

and it's a VERY small town.....

I think at this point, this fella needs to create his own job within the area that his tatoos represent.

With the potential for hyperinflation, no one is going to be buy new, to be buying big. So creating a job for yourself, including food and service industries, may well the the direction this world is going to take, as less and less people use Wal-marts and Targets. In fact, Wal-mart is wondering where all their customers are, I heard. So basically, even creating a local for-profit thrift shop is a really great idea. Let go the need to be rich, the need to have insurance, or find an insurance group that is for the individual, and start your own business. Get a jump on the world that is taking a really crazy, neuro-leptic economic direction.

I think it's the beard! :w00t:

Edit:

weird thing is, this guy lives in my home town, he lives where I live, and, noticeable as he may claim to be, i've never seen him before in my life!

and it's a VERY small town.....

Haha that's interesting. Why don't you find him and help a brother out?!

Edit 2: 'it has a population of 49,448 (including Birstall)' - from Wiki. Is that accurate? If so, town ain't 'VERY small'.

This is a very small town: :whistle: Can't image there'd be 450 jobs to apply for in Moneta though...

7.jpg

Edited by Timonthy

It's not just his tattoos, it's also his age. The work market today is the epitome of apartheid: everything counts. Even if you had facial tattoos, it wouldn't be a problem in some places if they looked cooler but his looks just like some scribbling even if it's a holy art. Piercings, tattoos and age dont have to mean you dont get a job, all them combined can make things more difficult than having just one of those, but they still wouldn't prevent it so much if he could portray them in a cooler manner, with more street credibility.

I think the first and foremost main reason is his age: the older you are past 40, the less likely you land a job, especially one which is more physical than an office job. The second heaviest reason is him not coming across as cool guy, it's a heavy reason in interviews. Those tattoos come third, the way they are contributes nicely to the second reason but he could still migitate it with attitute and clothes, a bit. Working history may also contribute alot... it's not so easy if you've been unemployed a longer period. Even if you wouldn't had been, but it doesn't make it any easier if you have been.

Starting your own business can be a real hell... if this guy had some internet skills I could offer him to partner up with me and give him a cut of my future profits but I doubt it due to his age. Meh..

I've never let appearances stop me from hiring someone.

Although, I think I'm in the minority on that one.

The tattoo in the middle of his forehead is weird, but it still wouldn't stop me from giving him a chance if he was the right candidate.

Actually, I find that tragic beard more off-putting than I do the tats hahaha. In fact, I kind of like the ones on his head, but the one on his forehead is pretty regrettable. LOL. But stop me from hiring him if he was qualified? No, probably not.

• Like 2

'it has a population of 49,448 (including Birstall)' - from Wiki. Is that accurate?

nope.

if you told anyone in birstall they were from batley you'd have a black eye before you reached the 2nd syllable.

batley has a population of 29,000, and I can walk from one side of it to the other in less than fifteen minutes, which, when you consider that it take 1.5 hrs to walk from one side of glastonbury festival to the other, makes it a VERY small town.

Me thinks. Does welfare pay enough in Britain and do you have to show you are looking for a job to stay on their payroll?

Me thinks. Does welfare pay enough in Britain and do you have to show you are looking for a job to stay on their payroll?

you get something like £70pw BRD, plus your rent paid, and I think you have to be actively seeking work to get it, although I don't know how you prove it?

I haven't claimed anything for 25yrs so i'm not sure how it works?

£70pw plus rent paid sounds like a good deal if someone isn't really looking for work, but has to prove he or she is. Centrelink is the name of our social welfare department in Australia and it offers a lot of financial benefits to all sorts of conditions people are in, including people with disabilities, students, single parents, Aborigines, New Zealanders etc.

Unfortunately, many that don't want to work, lurk and perk off the system.

Edited by Black Red Devil