Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mom Runs Down Daughter's Kidnapper

CRYSiiSx2

According to HLN affiliate KOAT, police say David Jesus Hernandez got out of his car and grabbed a 4-year-old girl as she was walking her bicycle into her apartment complex. Hernandez then allegedly shoved her into his car, got in and drove off. According to KOAT, a group of teenagers saw it all happen and ran to find the girl's mother.

KOAT reports that neighbors also saw it happen and began yelling at Hernandez as he drove away. All of the attention prompted Hernandez to push the girl out of his car and drive off. But at that point, the mother was already in pursuit. And not knowing that her daughter was now safe and out of the car, she reportedly drove after the alleged kidnapper with 911 on the phone the whole time.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/05/17/mother-runs-down-daughters-alleged-kidnapper

This lady deserves a Bad Ass Mom of the Year award! Hope this guy gets his ass kicked in prison over and over again.

• Like 6

He is saying he is innocent, but the last set of fingerprints on the steering wheel with tell us if he is telling the truth or lying.

Anything less than life will be a disgrace if he is guilty.

• Like 1

what's the bet she's going to be charged?

Meh, they can try - but if anyone can legitimately claim to be temporarily insane it's a mother in danger of losing her child to a potential abductor.

• Like 6

Don't blame her at all. Someone has got your kid you go after them.

• Like 4

Mom Runs Down Daughter's

Kidnapper

I hope to christ she backed up over him

repeatedly

when she ran him down.

• Like 2

I say good for her!!

Depends on the local government, but she might be charged. If she is, she'll probably do more time then the kidnapper, because he'll get less time for testifying against her.

The Law is not always about Justice.

She didn't run over the kidnapper. She chased after his car with her car, arguably (though not definitely) forced him off the road, and then crashed her car against his. He got out and ran for it. Later that evening, he turned himself in.

Momma is bad-ass, no doubt about that, but come on...this story is interesting enough without all the embellishments.

• Like 3

No way in Hell...

I bet $20.00

edit : I did not read the story, if it is in the USA, my bet goes up....If not, no bet.

Edited by Sakari

She didn't run over the kidnapper. She chased after his car with her car, arguably (though not definitely) forced him off the road, and then crashed her car against his. He got out and ran for it. Later that evening, he turned himself in.

Momma is bad-ass, no doubt about that, but come on...this story is interesting enough without all the embellishments.

you ever hear the phrase 'turn of phrase'?

Yep. It refers to a distinctive, persuasive, or artful way of describing a situation in a manner which clearly conveys the intended meaning, without directly assigning responsibility or passing moral judgement, i.e (with credit to Disney)

"I chased a polecat up a tree,

Way out upon a limb.

And while he got the best of me

I got the worst of him!"

Newspapers used to be very good at this. Nowadays they lean more towards sensationalism, with the occasional alarmist headline.

More interesting, and less misleading (at least, we wouldn't have people talking about running them over, backing up over them, and running over them again), something along the lines of "Man attempting kidnapping meets mother attempting manslaughter!"

You go mama ! My mother would have done the same .No joke .

• Like 3

If that was happening to my child I would have done exactly what she did. She got one creep caught in the act of abducting a child and who would hopefully be off the streets to prevent the similar to happen to another innocent child. She should receive a medal.

• Like 1

Yep. It refers to a distinctive, persuasive, or artful way of describing a situation in a manner which clearly conveys the intended meaning, without directly assigning responsibility or passing moral judgement

well, i'm glad you decided to slightly alter the wiktionary definition instead of just copy & pasting it in its entirety, although, i'm not sure what responsibility or moral judgement could be ascribed to the turn of phrase- 'he's built like a brick s**thouse wall'

(at least, we wouldn't have people talking about running them over, backing up over them, and running over them again)

and why shouldn't we have? being repeatedly run over would be the LEAST of his worries if he'd tried to abduct either of my daughters.

you'd be amazed at the things you can do with something as simple as a kettle & a bacon-slicer.....

• Like 1

More interesting, and less misleading, something along the lines of "Man attempting kidnapping meets mother attempting manslaughter!"

how on earth is 'man attempting kidnapping meets mother attempting manslaughter' more interesting than 'mom runs down daughters kidnapper'??

I mean, yours sounds like two strange people going for a coffee, or an ad for the worst internet dating site ever, while the OP's sounds like a mother meting out righteous & vengeful justice!

yours would only be interesting to wearers of beige underwear, or people who write down the numbers of passing trains, or someone with no discernable pulse.....

If you like.

I was complaining about the headline leading to people assuming the mother ran over the daughter (and indirectly implying that people should actually read articles prior to commenting on them), apparently due to nothing more than the standard sensationalism. Well, it seems that that they certainly know their audience, because your primary complaint against my suggestion is that it isn't exciting enough. No surprise there. After all, it wasn't meant to be. It was, in fact, precisely what I was complaining about.

Personally, I find the story of a mother chasing down her daughter's kidnapper, forcing him off the road, and then following his car off the road and ramming his vehicle on top of that, to be quite exciting in and of itself. You, apparently, prefer an interpretion with a mother channeling Steven Seagal. To each their own; I won't argue the point with you.

While I freely admit that I am not experienced in the art of writing witty headlines, I still find the story of a fish poacher titled "Fisherman Caught, Fined, Released", to be far more clever than something about fish serial murder, or another of an alleged murderer titled "Man Accused of Killing Lawyer Receives New Attorney" to be far more ironically descriptive, yet still worth both a chuckle and read-through of an article that I would probably have otherwise skipped over. There is often a false division between something being both clever and descriptive. Perhaps that is because most people prefer something much less challenging to process, something a bit more blatant or misleading, even if the purpose is less to get people to read the actual story, and more to just get them to comment, often without even feeling the need to familiarize themselves with what they are commenting about.

that's the thing aquatus, the headline WASN'T misleading, not in the slightest, as i'd READ THE ARTICLE, so knew exacty what had gone on. what I DID do was use a PLAY ON WORDS of the headline to illustrate a point.

and I thought I was pedantic.....!

If you like. As I said, I am not going to argue about your preferences, particularly if you are going to continue to refer to mine as "like two strange people going for a coffee", "an ad for the worst internet dating site ever", "interesting to wearers of beige underwear, or people who write down the numbers of passing trains, or someone with no discernable pulse". My preferences are not a bad movie, nor are you a movie critic.

And, since on a more personal basis you believe that I myself am "pedantic", I don't see any reason to continue asking my opinion on the matter either.

... what's wrong with beige underwear? :unsure2: ...