Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to live to be 100+

Saru

In general (there are some exceptions) most people's quality of life absolutely sucks past age 85. I think the folks on the video are not at all what one commonly sees in the elderly. The vast majority of the people I've known in the over 85 age bracket are not healthy or active or even mentally sound. Sadly, most of the very old live marginal lives in nursing home settings...the quality of their lives being quite poor.

• Like 2

Yep Lilly. It starts to deteriorate the more your physique goes down. The only over 80-year old guy I've seen to be that healthy, I actually even thought he was 40 or something before I heard his real age, is a capoeira mestre. Saw him ten years ago so dont know if it's still alive, and capoeira focuses on developing more parts of your body than many other martial arts. If you uphold a lifestyle where you keep a focused mind you can live healthier.

The 100-year old fisherman in that video in 10:58 has no white/grey hair, just like the mestre I saw. My granddad is 90 and he retired pretty late because running a small construction company, physical work and he took part maybe 80 or past it. Makes me think that retirement and stopping doing anything is one reason why people age, because occupying yourself and/or helping others is a natural part of life, working. We just make it a drudgery.

Business = busy-ness. Take the busy out of it.

• Like 1

Why would anyone want to live to be 100?

I have never quite understood this. I certainly don't want to live to be 100. Even at the half century mark, I do NOT want to live another 50 years with the aches and pains of middle and old age. I do not ever want to live without a high level of freedom, freedoms which are now being diminished. It helps me let go of life to know that there are more lives to live.

Edited by regeneratia

Yep Lilly. It starts to deteriorate the more your physique goes down. The only over 80-year old guy I've seen to be that healthy, I actually even thought he was 40 or something before I heard his real age, is a capoeira mestre. Saw him ten years ago so dont know if it's still alive, and capoeira focuses on developing more parts of your body than many other martial arts. If you uphold a lifestyle where you keep a focused mind you can live healthier.

The 100-year old fisherman in that video in 10:58 has no white/grey hair, just like the mestre I saw. My granddad is 90 and he retired pretty late because running a small construction company, physical work and he took part maybe 80 or past it. Makes me think that retirement and stopping doing anything is one reason why people age, because occupying yourself and/or helping others is a natural part of life, working. We just make it a drudgery.

Business = busy-ness. Take the busy out of it.

Just wanted to say, I think you're on to something here. There is an old saying: Use it or lose it! I think that goes for everything in life, including life itself.

Edit: Left out something.

Edited by Purifier

Sense of purpose. Main factor

• 2 weeks later...

I know this old guy he is 107 and he bowls every day and he has all his marbles google his name

Gene scala on Long Island ny gene the bowling machine

Edited by coolguy