Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Crazy' ants driving out fire ants

Still Waters

Invasive fire ants have been a thorn in the sides of Southerners for years. But another invasive species, the so-called "crazy" ant — which many describe as being worse — has arrived and is displacing fire ants in several places.

http://science.nbcne...-southeast?lite

• Like 2

Just lovely :no: . The only thing I have FINALLY found to take fire ants out is diatomaceous earth. I hope these stay away from my yard, lol.

• Like 1

Invading your home, getting inside appliances and messing them up. Think I would prefer the fire ant at least they will stay outside.

boy am I glad to live in a country where the only perils we face are rampaging hordes of knife-wielding teenagers!!

(and 'britain's got talent....')

:-)

• Like 1

Ant wars are the coolest thing to watch. Just so you know.

Edited by Godofcats

Sounds like somebody need to take their medication.

I've known a few people with crazy aunts, does that count?

But seriously, I live where fire ant nests pop up like Dollar General Stores, you have to be aware of the mounds, they like to make them in parking islands of shopping centers. One disturbance and you can have thousands crawl up your leg. You have only seconds to get them off before they start stinging and if they do sting you, you get a nasty welt that itches like mad. Then there are those with allergies to the venom, never a good thing.

Have not seen the crazy ants but it's probably a matter of time, animals are notorious hitchhikers, so it's just a matter of time.

I enjoy the local ants I have. The big black variety that are very mellow, calm(I had a friend who would put his hand in their marching highways and they would just go over him ignoring it) and a diet that consists mainly on plant matter. They spend all day harvesting the dead foxtails and only hunt insects that are in the way.

The big red ones are a bit more violent, but uncommon.

Just lovely :no: . The only thing I have FINALLY found to take fire ants out is diatomaceous earth. I hope these stay away from my yard, lol.

I always keep some handy in the house... won't harm the pets if they should get into it. But I found it doesn't work on all bugs. Just ants... maybe because they're so fastidious?

Sounds like somebody need to take their medication.

lol they sound like they've been smoking crystal meth and are tweaking.

damn that's intense lol i go for the fire ants in that case anyday.its a battle turf war lol civil war people lol

Sounds like a case of becareful what you ask for.

Meantime in europe, an american species is taking over. From what I understand the ants count all of their species in europe as coming from the same mound.

I hope we don't manage to import them here like we seem to do whith every other pest

I hope we don't manage to import them here like we seem to do whith every other pest

You guys already have a worse specious from what I understand. The jumping ant, sends everyone to the hospital they sting.

Learn to adapt. They vastly outnumber us ... thousands per square meter on average. Insects will probably still be here long after us unless, of course, we adapt to eating them.

Learn to adapt. They vastly outnumber us ... thousands per square meter on average. Insects will probably still be here long after us unless, of course, we adapt to eating them.

Animals have been eating them since they crawled out on land. They still rule the world.

When I was a kid in Florida I was messing around with a fire ant mound.

Bad mistake. They attack and hurt. Duh!!!!!!!!

Never had an encounter with these so-called "crazy ants", that I know of.

Roasted with a slather of chocolate? OK, that could work.

Yuk. :cry:

These crazy ants are a potent problem with one entomologist's take I read calling them impossible to stop. They just climb over their dead comrades and continue on.

They ruin pool motors, which has me worried. Take my toaster or even my A/C, do NOT take my pool. It's southernTexas for heat sake!

I thought I found some in our backyard last summer, but we haven't suffered from them, so I'll have to learn to identify them better. We live where they were first discovered in the U.S.

We don't mind our fire ants. As someone said, you just avoid their mounds and you're okay. But we don't have any children running around our yard either.

And I believe they are why our pets have no fleas.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I may have some of these. When I make coffee I have to immediately unplug the coffee maker and move it when I'm done, otherwise ants show up out of nowhere and get all over it.

Great.

We may have created these ants ourselves with our insecticides, much like penicillin made different kinds of bugs evolve to be more resilient. Now these ants don't eat the same poisons as fire ants... or maybe they eat them and say "Yummm!" (in a tiny ant voice).

• 1 month later...

I may have some of these. When I make coffee I have to immediately unplug the coffee maker and move it when I'm done, otherwise ants show up out of nowhere and get all over it.

Great.

We may have created these ants ourselves with our insecticides, much like penicillin made different kinds of bugs evolve to be more resilient. Now these ants don't eat the same poisons as fire ants... or maybe they eat them and say "Yummm!" (in a tiny ant voice).

Interesting...the other day we had a cup of water on the night stand...there were all of these ants...in the water...it was one of those hard plastic cups with the permanent straw. there were no other ants anywhere else...not on the nightstand...not on the curtains, or the floor...could this be the beginning of crazy ants?

Great.

The little tiny black ants are called suger ants they are harmless. Only the warriors can make you know they are there.

We created the killer bees.

Edited by danielost