Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking at your face in a dream

angrdrgz

It has been a really long time since I have posted... Today I was trying to be as lazy as possible before I had to get up and ready for work this afernoon. I laid in bed for a long time and got sleepy. I fell asleep and was looking at myself in a mirror at the clothes I had on. I do this often lol. Then I remembered hearing that you can not see your face in dreams so I got closer to the mirror and tried to look. I could see my face but only a mostly side view, it was really hard to turn my head to see it straight on. Then I started getting scared of what I would see and I panicked... I tried to wake up but I couldnt. I could move my hands but that was all. I wanted to wake up so bad, then I started seeing sentences written out under my closed eyes. I could not open my eyes. Then I started hearing music, rock music, a male singer singing something that made sence but it is no song I have heard. It was almost like it was supposed to be a message. The sentences made sense too but i do not remember either now. At the time I was trying really hard to remember it but I knew I would forget I tried to fully wake up to take a not of it with the cell phone i was still holding. I remember another strange thing is I could actually read the sentences, they were complete and spelled corectly. Any other time when I am dreaming I can not get the words spelled right but then again i am actually trying to spell, this time i wasnt it was just written out in front of me.. It went on for a few minutes. Then I really fell asleep again. I was floating above trees and I felt like I was going to put myself back in time to an earlier part of my life and I was afriad because I felt like it was really going to happen, that when I woke up I would be somewhere else.

It was really strange but I feel I was not completely asleep when the sentences and music were going on, i was paralized which has happened before but it was different in seeing and hearing things that werent really there and I couldnt open my eyes which ususally when i have sleep paralysis i can open my eyes but not move anything else.

Also, when I dream when I have time to really rest and dream a while my dreams are like movie plots and very complicated like I am much smarter when I am sleeping then when I am awake. The dreams are usually like action scifi movies...

Just thought I would share and like to hear any thoughts,

I think it means that seeing your self in the mirror in the altered state might take you back to the past, or out of your present sense of self, & make you forget all the learning you have done or make you lose touch with what is happening in the now?

I was looking at myself in a full length mirror 'in an altered state 'where there were people all around me '& I started to transform into a different life form, & then I was arrested by angels who felt great pain from touching my skin. After that I couldn't go back to that parallel earth any more.

Every night I would lay down & instantly stand back up in a parallel earth. I'd go outside and walk to the beach & see lots of the people I know outside the coffee shops. But when I looked in a mirror outside a shop & let my spirit show itself I was arrested & couldn't go back!

That's interesting. Sometimes I wonder who are all these people in my dreams and how did they get here, how can I making all this up. I asked one person in my dream where she was from. She said a state in the US not mine but I don't remember now. I was going to try to remember her name and phone number she gave me when I woke up. of course I couldn't remember.

This is interesting that you bring this up. I've had people pop up in dreams that I haven't thought of in decades anyone from elementary school classmates to celebrities. Let me ask you this: when you see yourself in dreams, do you see yourself as you are now or younger or even as yourself at all? I've never seen myself older but I have seen myself as a kid again and sometimes as somebody else. I've also pulled stuff from the radio and tv into dreams which can be kind of scary depending on what you are watching when you fall asleep.

I see myself the age I am now or a teenager sometimes. when I was half asleep I guess having this "dream" where I hear music, kinda loudly there was no music in the house playing. I could hear my boyfriend in the living room making noises with the x box controller as he was playing a video game turned way down so he wouldn't disturb me sleeping. I can not put into words how freaked out I was and how hard I was trying to wake up! I don't know why it scared me so much. I just kept thinking why am I hearing this and how!

Im kind of afraid to try and look at my face closely in a dream again Lol

Whoa, sounds like a lucid dream, sleep paralysis happens in lucid dreams, it does with me, if the sensations bother you just clench your hands or wiggle your toes. Intresting dreams tho, I often get dreams like this, especially in which I float and can't seem to get down, then I realize that I'm dreaming and end up getting scared. They would be enjoyable if you get over the fear and control the dream. Don't look at mirrors in dreams, you might see yourself as deformed or see something crazy like a bunch of lights shining out of it, and this could ruin the dream or trigger a nightmare. Don't worry about the noises, they are common in sp, no real harm can come to you

Whoa, sounds like a lucid dream, sleep paralysis happens in lucid dreams, it does with me, if the sensations bother you just clench your hands or wiggle your toes. Intresting dreams tho, I often get dreams like this, especially in which I float and can't seem to get down, then I realize that I'm dreaming and end up getting scared. They would be enjoyable if you get over the fear and control the dream. Don't look at mirrors in dreams, you might see yourself as deformed or see something crazy like a bunch of lights shining out of it, and this could ruin the dream or trigger a nightmare. Don't worry about the noises, they are common in sp, no real harm can come to you

This keeps getting more interesting. Where did you hear that about the mirrors? I've never heard of that before but then again, I don't think I've ever dreamed about any mirrors before. I've had dreams where I was convinced that it was a dream and I kept telling myself to wake up and it doesn't happen. It was something suspenseful too like a train was going to run over me or something.

• Like 1

I am a pro at lucid dreaming:p This must have been what was happening but it was very different because I was much much more on the awake side and to make it stop I actually had to fall completely asleep.

I gave up years ago trying to make myself wake up when I have bad dreams. instead I tried to tell myself this is a dream and change the dream instead.

I have many dreams where I find a car and just keep driving until I am far away from what was scaring me or I change the scary person or thing into a friend instead and it works. if you realize your dreaming that's half the battle. you just have to remember to turn that train into something else or will it to not run you over, for it to start flying away or whatever.

sometimes it is hard for me to know I am asleep because my dream will start out as me waking up in bed! I look around the room and if the furniture is different, like maybe the wrong knobs on the dresser I know I'm asleep. one funny thing is I really scared the crap out of myself one night because I said to myself I'm asleep how am I still breathing! that was not fun at all!

I do not remember where I heard its not a good idea to look at your face in a mirror in a dream. I did have a friend tell me he tried looking closely at his hand and it was impossible for him like the scene started shaking so he couldn't focus.

• Like 1

I have had sleep paralysis many times but I had never heard anything before. it was was really like a radio was on next to me. what do other people hear?

• Like 1

This keeps getting more interesting. Where did you hear that about the mirrors? I've never heard of that before but then again, I don't think I've ever dreamed about any mirrors before. I've had dreams where I was convinced that it was a dream and I kept telling myself to wake up and it doesn't happen. It was something suspenseful too like a train was going to run over me or something.

indeed it is a topic of interest, I read about the mirror thing in an article revolving around dreams after I someone else on this forum mentioned it, I did a bit of researching and found that looking in mirrors in dreams often produces a nightmare cos the dreamer sees themselves as deformed, distorted, or other strange things. I have dreams in which I look in the mirror and see flashing lights, as if the mirror is a portal. It really frightens me, yeah dreams like that are intense
  • Like 1

I am a pro at lucid dreaming:p This must have been what was happening but it was very different because I was much much more on the awake side and to make it stop I actually had to fall completely asleep.

I gave up years ago trying to make myself wake up when I have bad dreams. instead I tried to tell myself this is a dream and change the dream instead.

I have many dreams where I find a car and just keep driving until I am far away from what was scaring me or I change the scary person or thing into a friend instead and it works. if you realize your dreaming that's half the battle. you just have to remember to turn that train into something else or will it to not run you over, for it to start flying away or whatever.

sometimes it is hard for me to know I am asleep because my dream will start out as me waking up in bed! I look around the room and if the furniture is different, like maybe the wrong knobs on the dresser I know I'm asleep. one funny thing is I really scared the crap out of myself one night because I said to myself I'm asleep how am I still breathing! that was not fun at all!

I do not remember where I heard its not a good idea to look at your face in a mirror in a dream. I did have a friend tell me he tried looking closely at his hand and it was impossible for him like the scene started shaking so he couldn't focus.

interesting, I too have dreams in which I wake up in bed and notice something is " off" like there's a lunar shaped lamp floating or my bed is shaped like a circle. That's when I realize I'm dreaming. Looking at your hands in a dream causes you to wake up, in my case I wake up paralyzed, you can't clearly see your hands in a dream, mine come out disfigured or blurry, I'll have 17 fingers or only 3 it's strange but the same goes for your toes. Try looking at your feet in a dream and you'll find that your toes are gone or they're deformed, I'm not sure why this is...when in sp happens i often hear a static noise, moaning, rushing air, even foil crumpling. It's pretty scarey but I'm getting used to it. Since you say your good at lucid dreaming, which is great! Try spinning and falling on your back, you might feel as if your body is separating from your physical one, and you'll wake up spinning and floating, it's a perplexing but interesting thing, I still don't completely understand it, but lots of different people think the notion is related to ap

OK, so I'm watching the movie beautiful creatures with my daughter. I'm not paying too much attention but I just noticed a part where the girl is showing the guy poetry she writes and it appears on the ceiling. this is exactly how the writing in my dream looked. same color shape size fading... so weird!

• Like 1

thank you all for the replies it is all interesting and I will try the suggestions! when I am able to sleep in a little I will let you know my experiences!

• Like 2

OK, so I'm watching the movie beautiful creatures with my daughter. I'm not paying too much attention but I just noticed a part where the girl is showing the guy poetry she writes and it appears on the ceiling. this is exactly how the writing in my dream looked. same color shape size fading... so weird!

I remember that scene, I watched it with my mother, that's really cool, it would of freaked me out tho. Wonder what they mean... Everything in the dream world seems to be symbolic, what if what you dreamed was some sort of premonition that you were going to see the movie? It vice versa? Either way your dreams are interesting. Your welcome, do share your future experiences

I have had sleep paralysis many times but I had never heard anything before. it was was really like a radio was on next to me. what do other people hear?

My hypnagogic hallucinations have included hearing people talking in the next room and hearing a guy yelling at me from below my apartment building. I've gotten up thinking someone was knocking on my front door and then had no memory of hearing the knocking. I don't remember hearing anything close to me.

• Like 1

I had a timetravel dream.... where I ran after my self, turned me around and was just about to tell me something when I woke up.

• 3 weeks later...

My mother always used to tell me that if you can see your reflection in a dream and you look normal than it usually means it's a death omen, so by that logic it was a good sign :)

I've also had mirror dreams that have actually been covered by previous commenters, eg. seeing younger self, and another time having a severely deformed face that then sparked a nightmare. Thought it was interesting to add.. :P

My house burned down, so I was sleeping on the floor of a new apartment on my back and I was very sick. I felt like I left my body and was looking down on my body. I willed myself to open my physical eyes and see myself see myself.