Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Merged -Tornados Rip Through Midwest

Ashotep

In a devastating weekend, mother nature pounded the American midwest with dozens of tornadoes across four states on Saturday and Sunday, keeping storm chasers in their cars and sending local residents fleeing terrified for shelter.

http://www.rawstory....western-states/ Video

I hate tornadoes, 22 so far. Hope no one was killed.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 2

strange, how the UK has more tornadoes than anywhere else on earth, but I don't think we've had one fatality!

not that we've anything worth ripping up anymore.....

*sob*

• Like 2

I've seen only 2 tornadoes in real life. Man, they sure can be a beast.

Yeah, I also feel bad for all those affected.

• Like 3

I was traveling one day to go shopping and a tornado went across the road. Everyone just stopped until it passed then went on. You could see stuff in it flying around. That was weird.

• Like 1

I hate tornadoes, 22 so far. Hope no one was killed.

At least one was. Didn't catch the news this morning.

Closest they got to me was about 30 miles away.

We have another round of them coming this afternoon.

Doug

• Like 2

The news tonight is horrific. My heart is breaking for those poor people who are enduring so much tragedy. Prayers and God Bless all of them. I can't imagine their pain.

• Like 5

This isn't the most powerful storm front we ever had, this is average. What makes this one different is the fact that there was a F5 that hit us, leveling a whole community. Moore got hit in 1999 by the most powerful storm front, with 76 tornadoes in one night, 3 F5 tornadoes.

• Like 3

I just became aware of the situation in Moore... 51 dead including 20 children. And another 40 children unaccounted for in the rubble of the elementary school - dear God...

• Like 3

I saw this on the news 37 where killed.i hope the goverment helps them.

• Like 1

Do schools etc in 'tornado alley' not all have storm shelters? :(

• Like 2

Do schools etc in 'tornado alley' not all have storm shelters? :(

I suspect most home have basements

• Like 2

Since the 1999 tornado, i would have imagined that the houses build since would have had stormproof basements, it appears many did not, they were built on hard concrete.

There was a guy this morning on the news who had a basement and he was saying that the new houses were built without them. I personally would not have bought one without one, but wonder how many "cheap" houses were built for quick sale?

The government should have helped with funding to rebuild all the houses with proper storm shelters, the same way they sent billions to Haiti to help them, they should have done the same here after the 1999 disaster.

• Like 3

Few houses here in Oklahoma have basements - I am told that the soil (largely red clay) is not suitable for them as water leakage is high... Many people however have put in small tornado shelters...

I have always disagreed with the no basement situation, but builders here are pretty adamant against them for structural/water damage reasons...

• Like 3

Massive tornado rips through Moore, Oklahoma: 51 killed, including 20 children; more feared dead

A devastating, mile-wide tornado touched down near Oklahoma City on Monday, killing at least 51 people—including 20 children—decimating homes, businesses and a pair of elementary schools in the suburb of Moore.

According to the state's medical examiner, the death toll was expected to rise. About 40 bodies were expected to be transported to the medical examiner's office overnight.

The schools—Plaza Towers Elementary and Briarwood Elementary—were leveled by the tornado. It was unclear how many children were in them at the time the twister hit, but according to KFOR-TV, at least seven children died at Plaza Towers, and as many as two dozen more were feared to be trapped inside the rubble. An Associated Press photographer saw rescue workers pull several children out alive. A makeshift triage center was set up in the school's parking lot.

"This is war-zone terrible," Jon Welsh, a helicopter pilot for KFOR who lives in Moore, said while surveying the damage from the air. "This school is completely gone."

Emergency officials urged people to remain off the roads so rescue workers and first responders could reach people potentially trapped in rubble, as the National Guard was called in to help in the search for victims.

Three people were killed at a 7-Eleven in the path of the storm, CBS' KWTV reported, including a man, woman and baby who took cover in a freezer but didn't survive. KFOR reported a fourth person was killed there.

Taken from http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/tornado-oklahoma-city-moore-205548879.html

Wow. Just wow. The devastation is terrible. My heart and prayers go out to everyone affected by this.

Also, did the school not have a storm cellar? You would think for schools in "tornado alley" they would have a storm cellar for students and teachers....

• Like 4

Taken from http://news.yahoo.co...-205548879.html

Wow. Just wow. The devastation is terrible. My heart and prayers go out to everyone affected by this.

Also, did the school not have a storm cellar? You would think for schools in "tornado alley" they would have a storm cellar for students and teachers....

Only there where people are willing to pay taxes, everywhere else: where are they going to get the money from?

That said: my feelings go out to all those who suffered a damage.

• Like 2

Few houses here in Oklahoma have basements - I am told that the soil (largely red clay) is not suitable for them as water leakage is high... Many people however have put in small tornado shelters...

I have always disagreed with the no basement situation, but builders here are pretty adamant against them for structural/water damage reasons...

Some of the houses have basements. If the builders can build concrete foundations, then they could build a concrete basement.

The tornatoes are not new, everyone know thats, what is new is the amount of new homes being build. Anyone building a home in that area know the risks, and it down to the people to tell the builder to put a basement in.

If the builders can build a home quickly and use cheaper materials, then they will, again this is not news! But it seems there are people who will take their chances on a cheaper built home, wonder if they can actually get insurance? Does anyone know?

On the news today one of the guys was saying there are many more homes now than before, makes you wonder why some of these people do not have their houses protected, by having basements. Did they not see what happened in 1999?

• Like 3

We are discussing this on the other thread.

• Like 2

Such a shame for the good people of Moore. :cry: A good friend of mine lives close to there, but escaped any harm.

91 dead rather puts Boston into perspective in some weird way.

• Like 4

Such a shame for the good people of Moore. :cry: A good friend of mine lives close to there, but escaped any harm.

91 dead rather puts Boston into perspective in some weird way.

It shows or rather...is a reminder, that nature is far more dangerous than anything else on this planet. Man may one day wipe himself out, but we can never wipe out the forces of nature, but the forces of nature can wipe us out and quite easily too.

• Like 2

Merged topics.

My heart goes out to the people of Moore and all of the Midwest affected by the tornado(s).

• Like 3

Today the storms are headed my way. Don't think, hope, they will be as deadly as they were there. We have had our share. Feel sorry for the people that have lost their homes and lives because of it.

• Like 4

Today the storms are headed my way. Don't think, hope, they will be as deadly as they were there. We have had our share. Feel sorry for the people that have lost their homes and lives because of it.

Stay safe Hilander. I've got friends out there who I'm concerned about too

• Like 4