Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rods- making a comeback?

shrooma

popular around 10-15yrs ago, the rods phenomenon seems to have been thoroughly debunked, but one researcher thinks he just might have found a cavefull.....

http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=83734

it's not bigfoot, but as there's no real evidence for him either, then what the hell, give these little bug-gers a chance.....!

They come a dime a dozen..

its right around my neck of the woods .. but I'm not too hopeful its much ...

... Rods are insects moving at high speed and the shape is the result of how digital cameras record. This is WELL KNOWN. And it’s really silly that a newspaper would print such a thing without a little fact checking. But, mystery mongering sells. We’re here to tell you, sorry, no skyfish! Just more insects. Darn those buggers cause trouble!

Note this line: “A previous attempt to capture “flying rods” in China only yielded only moths and other insects.” Because… oh, I don’t know… THEY’RE INSECTS!

Also note the bit about the bats being “scared”. Maybe interested is a better word. This piece is really horrendous and full of inaccurate statements.

link

08ea4b6a9ef8.jpg

The people who examined films for anomalies of this sort started calling what they did "sky fishing" because they usually started by looking at the areas of sky that were visible in films. They found that these rods were widespread. Countless films had them lurking almost imperceptibly in the corners, including old television shows, movies, films of sporting events, almost everything imaginable. There were simply too many examples to study them all, running into the thousands or tens of thousands. There were also air rods visible in photographs, but these were hardly studied at all for reasons that will become clear below. The people who examined films for anomalies of this sort started calling what they did "sky fishing" because they usually started by looking at the areas of sky that were visible in films. They found that these rods were widespread. Countless films had them lurking almost imperceptibly in the corners, including old television shows, movies, films of sporting events, almost everything imaginable. There were simply too many examples to study them all, running into the thousands or tens of thousands. There were also air rods visible in photographs, but these were hardly studied at all for reasons that will become clear below.

link

• Like 2

Why haven't these researchers taken new extremely fast cameras that take minuscule frame by frame captures, and study those? Or are those what the people in the article have used when they talk of advanced equipment?

Or does equipment not exist to slow down a movement that fast without considerable warping? Don't the Mythbusters have something along these lines? I should visit their fortress there on the other side of the Bay with a proposal.

• Like 2

if they have to avoid walls in case they crash into them, then the guy's reasoning means they're physical, not interdimensional space aliens like the loonies in round one were calling 'em, so it stands to reason you can catch 'em with a net, so hopefully 'jigger' will have packed one the next time he goes a huntin'

after all, nobody believes footage of any kind anymore, it's either specimens or bust.....

(bring a l-o-o-o-n-g book while you wait...)

• Like 1

Don't the Mythbusters have something along these lines? I should visit their fortress there on the other side of the Bay with a proposal.

do they do this kind of thing?

i've never seen 'em do any crypto kinda stuff but I can't see why not?

worse they're gonna get is a lovely two-week holiday in malaysia, and who in their right mind would turn THAT down??

;-)

• Like 1

Where's all the big rods at? Seriously even my friends are always complaining. They're also tired of little rods. What's it take for us girls to finally check out a really big rod??

• Like 3

They're insects, like the others have said.

They need to spend a little more on their cameras. But I guess no one will give them any time if they went all the way into a cave to film bugs.

• Like 1

Where's all the big rods at? Seriously even my friends are always complaining. They're also tired of little rods. What's it take for us girls to finally check out a really big rod??

now now sheepy.., you know it's not how big the rod is, but how it moves!

(if you believe those bloody lying wimmen!!)

(there's a photo of a nice big rod on third eye's bottom(??) post.....

:-)

• Like 1

now now sheepy.., you know it's not how big the rod is, but how it moves!

:-)

That's true I guess. But as it appears many seem to be motionless and rediculously fast , before you know it came and then you're like, what the heck was that!! ??? The whole thing happened so fast.... l Youre lucky if u even saw it. Now had it been larger, well I bet you might even of felt it.

And I'm sure its not just women who feel the same,. After all it is a global issue.

• Like 1

Here's a partial list of some of the replies I thought up.

1) Large rods exist! I've seen them in movies! Well, certain kinds of movies...

2) Did I hear someone asking to see a large rod? nudge nudge

3) Maybe you're not doing it right...?

4) I'll show you a large rod as soon as the tattoo artist is done tattooing the Declaration of Independence on it.

5) Too much whiskey, perhaps?

6) If only it wasn't against forum rules...

But since they were all lamer than a one legged horse I decided not to post them.

Oh wait, I just did.

• Like 4

Why haven't these researchers taken new extremely fast cameras that take minuscule frame by frame captures, and study those? Or are those what the people in the article have used when they talk of advanced equipment?

Or does equipment not exist to slow down a movement that fast without considerable warping? Don't the Mythbusters have something along these lines? I should visit their fortress there on the other side of the Bay with a proposal.

Well then they wouldn't have an article in the Daily Express now would they? And we wouldn't be talking about them on this forum.

I just watched the latest episode of River Monsters last night and Jeremy Wade used a high speed camera when he pricked a water balloon with a fishing hook. You could not only see the balloon pop and then slowly peel back from the water, but the water itself hung in mid air for a millisecond or two.

So, yeah, they've got cameras like that.

It looked something like this, but even slower. You could see the balloon peeling back as it popped.

Man, people just won't quit on rods, won't they? Rods are just insects (and maybe birds too). They are not aliens or inter-dimensional beings. This has been proven so many times it's actually ridiculous that people still cling to the belief that rods are unknown creatures.

Man, people just won't quit on rods, won't they? Rods are just insects (and maybe birds too). They are not aliens or inter-dimensional beings. This has been proven so many times it's actually ridiculous that people still cling to the belief that rods are unknown creatures.

I don't think the interested people in the article propose that it's any type of alien or multi-dimensional thing. I got a strong sense that they felt it was a physical Earth dwelling creature yet to be identified, and they were excited to be the first to put it on the map. I would love tos ee them be right, and a new species of super fast flying thingies are discovered. If they are all just different types of bugs, it won't ruin my day, but I'd love to see some of these researchers find their Avalon.

• Like 1

Rods are just insects (and maybe birds too). This has been proven so many times it's actually ridiculous that people still cling to the belief that rods are unknown creatures.

except it hasn't been proven 'thousands of times' WTS. it's been speculated thousands of times that they're insects, but speculation isn't proof. there's been tests that have tried to emulate rods by filming insects, and none of them have captured a single, convincing image that looked like a rod.

i'm not actually a believer in them myself, but I wouldn't class myself as a disbeliever either, as there's not enough information to formulate a definite answer one way or the other.....

• Like 1

Even the coveted History Channel has debunked this, as well as Fact or Faked on the syfy channel, and numerous other paranormal and crypto groups since they first became the rave in the mid 90's. If link doesn't work either Google or YouTube "rods debunked", I'm on a phone so not sure if link will work.

I was a big disbeliever, and am not still convinced.

The odd thing is I expected them to disappear by now. They were being picked up of digital camera's with a fairly slow frame rate hence why it could make a common flying insect looked longer and joined.

The thing is digital camera technology has come along millions of miles over the last 10 years and they still are being picked up. Even at a consumer level the frame rates are massively higher, they shouldn't look like rods but they do.

Think of 10 years ago, cameras had about 2 megapixels with 5 megapixels on the highest end cameras. For £60 you can pick up a Nikon nowadays with 16 megapixels and frame rates have risen from around 30fps to 120fps.

Edited by skookum

Here's a partial list of some of the replies I thought up.

1) Large rods exist! I've seen them in movies! Well, certain kinds of movies...

2) Did I hear someone asking to see a large rod? nudge nudge

3) Maybe you're not doing it right...?

4) I'll show you a large rod as soon as the tattoo artist is done tattooing the Declaration of Independence on it.

5) Too much whiskey, perhaps?

6) If only it wasn't against forum rules...

But since they were all lamer than a one legged horse I decided not to post them.

Oh wait, I just did.

Hang on a second, this doesnt seem to fit in with the context regarding paranormal phenomenon.

• Like 1

It might be some sort of insect or other natural creature.They have probably been around for ages,it's just only with the advenbt of photography and video cameras have we been able to capture them on film.If they do manage to capture any rods,it will be interesting to see what they turn out to be.

except it hasn't been proven 'thousands of times' WTS. it's been speculated thousands of times that they're insects, but speculation isn't proof. there's been tests that have tried to emulate rods by filming insects, and none of them have captured a single, convincing image that looked like a rod.

i'm not actually a believer in them myself, but I wouldn't class myself as a disbeliever either, as there's not enough information to formulate a definite answer one way or the other.....

They're bugs. I've seen them with the naked eye.

They're bugs. I've seen them with the naked eye.

You've seen a camera created effect with your naked eye? Or are you implying you've seen a bug in the shape of those seen in 'rod' pictures with your naked eye?

You've seen a camera created effect with your naked eye? Or are you implying you've seen a bug in the shape of those seen in 'rod' pictures with your naked eye?

Second part.

Second part.

So it was sitting still, or flying slowly?

It was flying but it certainly wasn't slowly. I only caught it for a few seconds before it went into shade, out of sunlight.