Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FL teen charged for underage relationship

Rafterman

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1348422

Florida girl, 18, arrested and expelled after relationship with 15-year-old female classmate

An 18-year-old Florida student’s senior year has become a nightmare — all because she was in a same-sex relationship with a 15-year-old, her family says.

Kaitlyn Hunt was arrested Feb. 16 for having a physical relationship with a younger classmate, who was her girlfriend at the time, mom Kelley Hunt Smith wrote on Facebook.

Under Florida law, Hunt could see up to 15 years in prison and must register as a sex offender. A plea deal, however, remains on the table that would give Hunt two years' house arrest and one year of probation, her family said.

“Does my daughter deserve to lose her life for 15 years, or 3 years, or to have no life, because of one choice she made in high school, absolutely not!!” Hunt Smith wrote Friday, adding, “This is a mother’s nightmare.”

So apparently the parents of the 15-year-old filed charges against Kaitlyn Hunt as soon as she turned 18 even though the relationship had been going on for quite some time. It's my understanding that while Florida does have a "Romeo & Juliet" law, that the 3 year age difference is too great for that to apply in this case.

It appears the Hunts have taken to social media to play the gay card and make this all about hate and homophobia when, in fact, the same thing has been happening in male/female relationships for years. I wonder how many thousands of young men are on sex offender registries throughout the country for this very same reason?

Edited by Rafterman

Regardless, it's completely unfair to that young lady. I think it's less about the 'gay card' as you put it, than it is just about injustice.

Just because injustice has been perpetuated in the past, doesn't make this any less wrong.

• Like 5

This sounds ridiculous. When I was 16, I had a relationship with somebody who was 15. So one of us was legal and the other wasn't (UK law) but what's important is it's what we both wanted.

Sex offender register to me should be used for cases of rape and cases of underage activity whereby consent couldn't really have been given ie: adult and a minor who is not sexually mature or barely. 18 and 15 is nothing.

But that's the point, under US law, there is a minimum age for consent. In Florida, if you're 15, you cannot legally give consent.

The situation you describe of being 16 and 15 would be covered under the Romeo & Juliet clause in most states. A 3 year age difference is beyond the age range.

Regardless, it's completely unfair to that young lady. I think it's less about the 'gay card' as you put it, than it is just about injustice.

Just because injustice has been perpetuated in the past, doesn't make this any less wrong.

Would you want your 15 year old daughter dating an 18 year old boy? How about 19 or 20?

• Like 1

If you are 18 or over don't be seeing a minor.

I think she was railroaded since the affair had been going on for some time.

• Like 1

I think the parents of the 15 year old probably got what they wanted and manage to kill the relationship between these two girls, if it was case of the parent's view of actually thinking upon the relationship as a "hey, that girl is too old for you" mentality. But, if the parents of 15 year old did this because they are ignorant enough to think that this will stop the 15 year old's attraction to other females (and I say surely not, they can't be that naive), well...I think they got another thing coming; and they just ruined somebody else's life for nothing.

Because the 15 year old will more than likely find another female closer to her age or less and hookup with them. Maybe even out of spite, if it's a case of her parents trying to prevent same-sex relationships.

• Like 1

This is a very sad story. Really, it's none of the state's business what consensual relations people have.

This seems to be another example of the mean-spirited prudes made by our crazy judeo-christian heritage, and how they have wrongly influenced our secular laws. :td:

• Like 1

Too many rash judgements. There is probably more to this story. Maybe the parents of the 15 year old have told the 18 year old to stay away numerous times. There is no way I would allow my 15 year old to date an 18 year old(I actually presently have a 15 year old daughter). We also do not know much about this 18 year old. Maybe she is a low life loser. Maybe she has a reputaion that is not very good. This may have been the parents last resort.

• Like 2

Too many rash judgements. There is probably more to this story. Maybe the parents of the 15 year old have told the 18 year old to stay away numerous times. There is no way I would allow my 15 year old to date an 18 year old(I actually presently have a 15 year old daughter). We also do not know much about this 18 year old. Maybe she is a low life loser. Maybe she has a reputaion that is not very good. This may have been the parents last resort.

Why not? What is so wrong about that? Would you rather want them to meet secretly, which they will be doing for sure?

I'd rather invite the guy/girl, and try to get to know him/her. Might be a very lovely person.

Why not? What is so wrong about that? Would you rather want them to meet secretly, which they will be doing for sure?

I'd rather invite the guy/girl, and try to get to know him/her. Might be a very lovely person.

Because I am her parent and need to protect her. Believe it or not, parents get a say in the raising of their children. It's our responsibility to lead them in the right direction. This is done through talking with your child.

• Like 2

This is a very sad story. Really, it's none of the state's business what consensual relations people have.

This seems to be another example of the mean-spirited prudes made by our crazy judeo-christian heritage, and how they have wrongly influenced our secular laws. :td:

Again, that's the point - a 15 year old cannot legally give consent in the State of Florida.

• Like 1

Again, that's the point - a 15 year old cannot legally give consent in the State of Florida.

I agree with this. My 15 year old is not ready for what an 18 year old would bring. She's concentrating on her studies and has her sights set on the Air Force Acadamy (her choice, not mine).

Because I am her parent and need to protect her. Believe it or not, parents get a say in the raising of their children. It's our responsibility to lead them in the right direction. This is done through talking with your child.

But kids often do not follow their parent's advice. This should be taken into consideration

• Like 1

She's being treated equally. Isn't that what everyone wants?

Until it affects them, of course.

• Like 1

She's being treated equally. Isn't that what everyone wants?

Until it affects them, of course.

That is correct. I don't agree with being put on the sex offenders list, but this has happened to many, many boys who are 18.

I've read some horror stories of young boys being ruined for life because they've been put on that list.

• Like 1

I've read some horror stories of young boys being ruined for life because they've been put on that list.

It is bad. I'm not sure what the happy median could be.

I understand your point, and that is true.

But the logical extension of that seems to be that a 15 year old must have permission from the State to be friends with any given person. To display affection to any given person. That's crazy.

So I guess the question for me is this... if 18 is the age of consent in Florida, yet freshmen can be 13-14 and a senior can be 17-18 why are they attending the same school if legally there is a problem in the difference in age dating? Why aren't the 13-16 year old kids in junior high and then the 16-18 year old kids at another (high) school wouldn't that solve part of the age dating issues? How often does this pose a problem or is it as the article intimates it's because it was girls dating?

I've always said if the difference in age is close under a couple of years (especially when the parties involved are at the same school) they are dating and it clearly isn't rape then people have got to get it through their heads that sex and teenagers go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Most kids don't think about age and dating. Was there some kind of don't date or have sex with someone if you're 18 and they are younger informational lectures at the school? The school board at the behest of the parents should give lectures and flyers to all students on their first day of class so that no one is surprised by this law.

Mabon.

• Like 2

When the relationship was ingoing before she turned 18, it seems to me to be a dirty trick the younger girl's parents pulled. Anytime there is a relationship before the older partner turns 18 and then the parents charge them it seems for spite IMO.

• Like 5

I agree Glorybebe, I've said this about heterosexual relationships as well. It has always made me angry that parents do this and it just looks like a p***y maneuver because they can't or won't do anything about the relationship until one of the partners turn18, then they file a rape charge, ruining that persons life.

Mabon.

• Like 1

I understand your point, and that is true.

But the logical extension of that seems to be that a 15 year old must have permission from the State to be friends with any given person. To display affection to any given person. That's crazy.

Well you can be friends, you just can't have sex.

It may seem crazy, but look at the other side of the equation - there are a lot of sexual predators who are experts at convincing young children that they are in a "consenting" relationship.

And frankly, after reading the affidavit in this case, Katilyn's alleged comments sound a lot like some of the stuff I've heard convicted sex predators say over the years.

• Like 1

If they were dating before she turned 18 then I'm sure they were dating before the other person was 15. While i wouldn't call the 18 year old a pedophile I doubt it was a shock that the 15 year old's parents didn't approve of the relationship.

I have sons but if my son was 15 (I am assuming the relationship probably started when she was 13 or 14) and was dating another person who was a upperclassman I would feel that he was being "seduced" into a sexual relationship. I would probably say focus on your school and get into a good college after that if you both want to continue your relationship that's your choice.

And maybe the 15 year old's parents did say this but the older girl continued. We don't know. So we shouldn't assume the parents acted all nice and supportive and then droped a bomb shell when she turned 18.

• Like 1

Well you can be friends, you just can't have sex.

It may seem crazy, but look at the other side of the equation - there are a lot of sexual predators who are experts at convincing young children that they are in a "consenting" relationship.

And frankly, after reading the affidavit in this case, Katilyn's alleged comments sound a lot like some of the stuff I've heard convicted sex predators say over the years.

Of course this is not about sexual predators, is it? Though the system may very well classify the older girl as such, once this case is ever resolved.

By what authority can the state say "you can be friends OK, but you cannot have sexual relations"?

The only reason this case is getting so much attention is because it is girl/girl. If it was an 18 year old boy and 15 year old girl, you would never hear about it.

Hopefully though, this will shed light on these silly laws. If what they were doing is legal one day, when they older girl was 17 but suddenly becomes illegal the next

day because she turns 18, there is something wrong with the law. Personally I don't think the law should be so black and white when it comes to kids around

those ages. Those are not cases of someone being a sexual predator, those are cases of us trying place our unatural ideals onto what is a pretty natural thing.

Of course parents do not want their kids having sex at that age but nature does not care about that :w00t: Nature makes them sexually mature and full

of hormones around those ages.

They really need to stop wasting tax payer dollars with cases like these and go after the real sexual predators.

• Like 2

Of course this is not about sexual predators, is it? Though the system may very well classify the older girl as such, once this case is ever resolved.

By what authority can the state say "you can be friends OK, but you cannot have sexual relations"?

We don't really know that at this point. We can speculate, but that's it.

As for what authority - well, the same authority the state has for all of its laws. I'm 43, by what authority can the state say that I cannot have sexual relations with a 12 year old girl?

But the main point (and this addresses Razer's comment as well) is that you can't have two sets of laws - one for "real" sexual predators and one for popular girls with high school crushes.

Edited by Rafterman