Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

how do you delete topics and posts ?

cadyn

Is it your own or someone elses?

Hi cadyn

What would you like deleted?

if it's your own, just use the 'edit' function underneath your post to delete the text, but if it's someone elses then there's nothing you can do i'm afraid.

i've always thought it's a bit of a design flaw that you can't just delete your own posts, as when my wi-fi screws up it sometimes leaves multiple posts, which then can only be edited to remove text, instead of being removed outright!

The delete a post option is not available to members. Members have the option to edit their own posts for a limited period of time. To edit a post after that requires a moderator.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

The delete a post option is not available to members. Members have the option to edit their own posts for a limited period of time. To edit a post after that requires a moderator.

Hi , I'm just curious as to how long a post stays open on U.M. ?.Some of them have been on for quite a long time,and are pretty much not visited by many people or are just worn out old news where everyone has had their comments.I like the site and use it a lot,and will continue to do so.Maybe a trawl by a Moderator could delete some posts that have not been used for a while.Regards S.T.M.

Unless there's a problem with a specific post or topic then there's no real need to remove it, the contents of the forum date back more than a decade and provide an archive of material representing opinions and interests over a long period of time.

Maybe a trawl by a Moderator could delete some posts that have not been used for a while.Regards S.T.M.

As a moderator I would be hugely reluctant to do this. It would generate huge problems. Members often refer back to old posts they have made (sometimes by providing links), if we remove that information it would cause untold problems, lead to broken links all over the site.

Posters often (quite rightly I think) consider their posts their own intellectual property. I would feel uneasy simply deleting posts without permission (obviously if the post has broken the rules this does not apply). Getting the permission of posters that may not have visited the site in years would be difficult if not impossible, but just because they have not visited for a while we can not assume they will not return.

Whilst I can not presume to speak for my fellow moderators I think it unlikely that their opinions will differ hugely from mine. Morally and practically this something I would not want to do.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 3

To Saru, Waspie, Thanks for the info,as I said, I was just curious,now that an explanation has been given I realise the consequenses.Regards.

401948_10151483418953165_294076584_n.jpg

I had no idea ... I didn't get the memo ... so sorry ...

:lol:

To Saru, Waspie, Thanks for the info,as I said, I was just curious,now that an explanation has been given I realise the consequenses.Regards.

No problem. If you don't ask you don't find out, as my dad used to say.