Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shepal

White Crane Feather

In an earth quake you should get out of any structures and go to an open area.

--- schools teach children to huddle under desks.

If Somone one is shooting at you, you should run like hell.

----- schools teach our children to huddle in corners.

If there is a tornado warning you should sit in your car and drive away from the wall cloud or get under ground.

----- again we teach our children to hide in exposed buildings.

It makes me sick. Kids are dieing because people are Shepal. Are these recommendations that they have in schools based on any kind of real statistical analysis or are they just afraid of lawsuits from loosing a kid thrown on a bus during a tornado warning. 7 kids drown to death yesterday in a puddle traped inside their school. How hard is it to throw them in cars or busses and drive them away from the dark part of the sky.

Urrrrggggggg. I'm not so sure humans are the smartest species. At least wild animals know to run from destruction. Only the ones that live under ground hide and huddle. And defiantly not when the fox finds its way in.

Urrrrrgggggggg!!!!

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 3

Thats the idea, run around a building trying to get out while debris is falling around you.

Shooting at you? Yes. Shooting at someone else? Sure run if you want to draw attention and become the next target. Edited by Rlyeh

Lots of people are sheepal, just in different ways according to the type of koolaid you drink.

There isn't that much warning for any of these things... a matter of minutes usually. No one is going to evacuate entire schools to who knows where every time there is a bad storm with the potential for tornadoes.

How exactly are all the school busses supposed to drive to the school, all the kids supposed to get to them, and they all drive away in a safer direction in a matter of minutes?

The shooting thing? Yah.. I always wondered why people ducked down and huddled... just creates a nice, tight target for the gunman.

I deeply sympathise with the victims and families, but the only place to get out of the way of a tornado is under ground, don't any of these schools have tornado proof cellars 10 to 15 minutes warning should be enough time to get the kids to safety.I wish I could help the survivors.

• Like 2

There isn't that much warning for any of these things... a matter of minutes usually. No one is going to evacuate entire schools to who knows where every time there is a bad storm with the potential for tornadoes.

How exactly are all the school busses supposed to drive to the school, all the kids supposed to get to them, and they all drive away in a safer direction in a matter of minutes?

The shooting thing? Yah.. I always wondered why people ducked down and huddled... just creates a nice, tight target for the gunman.

I would. School is canceled everytime there is the potential for storms. It would not be that hard to have an evacuation plan if warnings come up. If I lived in that part of the country my children would be with me when tornado warnings were up. It should also be coded into all schools to have storm basements. Not that hard really. Especially in tornado ally. These storms will happen no sense in huddling in a bathroom with your fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Thats the idea, run around a building trying to get out while debris is falling around you.

Shooting at you? Yes. Shooting at someone else? Sure run if you want to draw attention and become the next target.

Ok you sit in the house comeing down around you ;), I'll be outside in less than ten seconds.

Moving targets are exponentially harder to hit with more distance than sitting ducks. That's why we have the clique "sitting ducks". ;)

Reminded me of this

The school did not have an underground shelter. This I do not understand.

Have been made aware that some parts can not have underground bunkers because of the ground, but many of the houses do have them. its not as if its a small piece of land, when they build in a high risk area the buildings should only be build on the ground which is suitable to build a cellar...especially the school!

These tornados are not new, but the amount of people living there has grown because the houses are cheap, sorry to say this, but you pay a far higher price with your life when you live without the proper protection in tornado area.

• Like 1

Ok you sit in the house comeing down around you ;), I'll be outside in less than ten seconds.

And how do you get a class full of kids out in ten seconds? Let alone an entire school. Edited by Rlyeh

I deeply sympathise with the victims and families, but the only place to get out of the way of a tornado is under ground, don't any of these schools have tornado proof cellars 10 to 15 minutes warning should be enough time to get the kids to safety.I wish I could help the survivors.

I agree that if the tornado is on top of you and is imminent, you should be underground. But how many times does a storm follow the road? just drive away from the dam thing. I'd rather be sitting in my car with the radio on watching the sky. Tornado comes from my right, I go left at 60-80 mph, comes from the right I go left. There probably isn't any real statistical data to proove this... But Id be willing to bet my life on it. Now consider this in aggregate. If it were the recommended policy to leave your house and be on the road everyone would do it. Now we have trafic congestion and if you are stuck in traffic then you are even worse off. It's in the interest of the authorities to keep everyone safe, it's in your interest to keep yourself and family safe. Problem of course is in rule areas where the recommendation is probably in nobody's best interest other than to maintain the illusion that you are safer huddled in your house.

Edited by Seeker79

And how do you get a class full of kids out in ten seconds? Let alone an entire school.

Practice.

Shooting at you? Yes. Shooting at someone else? Sure run if you want to draw attention and become the next target.

Well, there's logic there, in that people scatering in all directions make it much harder for someone to hit than if they were all gathered together.

• Like 1

Well, there's logic there, in that people scatering in all directions make it much harder for someone to hit than if they were all gathered together.

The zebra defense.

Practice.

Only in Seeker's world.

If kids are threatened by a shooter, grab a gun if you can and defend them. If kids are threatened by the sky, dig down deep to protect them. The reason this is not always done is money and negligence, as if kids aren't worth it. People have "important" agendas so kids and the world get thrown under the bus in the name of "progress".

• Like 2

Only in Seeker's world.

That's funny considering I actually have large groups of kids practice this very drill in shooter situations.

Edited by Seeker79

Urrrrggggggg. I'm not so sure humans are the smartest species. At least wild animals know to run from destruction. Only the ones that live under ground hide and huddle. And defiantly not when the fox finds its way in.

Urrrrrgggggggg!!!!

It already happened and it can't be change, so no need to stress yourself out. That event/situation is gone. It isn't here.

From HERE (Now) you can prepare and take action to teach the proper way to protect oneself, but complaining does not change anything - doing something does.

I'm assuming everyone did the best they could under adverse circumstances with whatever resources they had. It was a terrible tragedy. FYI, on Guam you can't get a home loan unless your house is constructed out of concrete & rebar. Super typhoons, no problem. 8.1 earthquake, only 2 structures had to be razed, and no serious injuries. It does cost more, it's not as aesthetically pleasing, but it does save lives & property. Most of us do the best we can, sometimes it's just not good enough.

I'm going to take this opportunity to say how much I dislike the term sheepal. It's a derogatory term, usually used in reference to people or a group of people that one doesn't personally know. and I assume those who use the term don't consider themselves sheepal, but do consider themselves superior to those referred to as sheepal. It's creates a them vs us division, when we should be uniting. Anyhoo, that's my rant for the day.

Edited by Beany

If there is a tornado warning you should sit in your car and drive away from the wall cloud or get under ground.

----- again we teach our children to hide in exposed buildings.

It makes me sick. Kids are dieing because people are Shepal. Are these recommendations that they have in schools based on any kind of real statistical analysis or are they just afraid of lawsuits from loosing a kid thrown on a bus during a tornado warning. 7 kids drown to death yesterday in a puddle traped inside their school. How hard is it to throw them in cars or busses and drive them away from the dark part of the sky.

Urrrrrgggggggg!!!!

I think it's a symptom of left brained teaching of what to do by pencil pushers who use legislation as their guide.. Duck & cover wont save you from the bomb, but we have a plan in place :tu: , lol... all be it a plan that often flows against instinct & common sense.. :unsure2:

If people were left to instinct, like the animals that we are taught that we're not, then perhaps it would be a different story. Still a tragic story, but perhaps of lesser magnitude, and more miracles..

At any rate, when nature moves, for god's sake get out of it's way imo.

As for facing a nut-case with a gun, not sure how I would react. It occurs to me that there you have a case where legislation could have prevented that kind of scenario in the first place, but no-one has the balls to do anything about that because there are already to many nutcases out there with guns.

• Like 2

I always wondered at the absurdity of it all back in my high school days.

During a tornado watch, we would all calmly go into the hall and put our hands over our heads in the fetal position near the lockers..

Ridiculous. I would have jumped out the window and found the neared ditch.

• Like 1

I'm assuming everyone did the best they could under adverse circumstances with whatever resources they had. It was a terrible tragedy. FYI, on Guam you can't get a home loan unless your house is constructed out of concrete & rebar. Super typhoons, no problem. 8.1 earthquake, only 2 structures had to be razed, and no serious injuries. It does cost more, it's not as aesthetically pleasing, but it does save lives & property. Most of us do the best we can, sometimes it's just not good enough.

I'm going to take this opportunity to say how much I dislike the term sheepal. It's a derogatory term, usually used in reference to people or a group of people that one doesn't personally know. and I assume those who use the term don't consider themselves sheepal, but do consider themselves superior to those referred to as sheepal. It's creates a them vs us division, when we should be uniting. Anyhoo, that's my rant for the day.

I understand your sentiment. But I can't help but feel the frustration with these idiotic procedures that are not based on any kind of common sense, statistical analysis, or personal experience. It has been driving me nuts for years.

I actually teach safety in schools ( stranger safety, abduction prevention, and molestation prevention). I give talks in class rooms assemblies and run camps and workshops for skill based practice. I also give workshops to adults on how to prepare their kids. All of my advice is built on a lifetime of working with children, very careful observation of a child's physical and phsycological capabilities, and very close analysis of actual events.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they have kids huddle in the back of a room during a lock down.

In my classes I clap two mits together, the kids drop to the floor flat, identify where it's comeing from and exit the room in under ten seconds. Any soldier or police officer will tell you to run if you are unarmed. These burocrats just don't want the lawsuit when the occasional kid falls or gets knocked over.

The tornado is a tougher example, but rest assured my kids would never be away from me with potential for severe wether. Or I'd be sitting outside the school with the radio on watching the sky. I'd barge into class and take my kids at the slightest hint of a nearby wall cloud. There simply is no common sense. The principal at our school let me set rattle snake traps surrounding our school because they kept comeing onto the play ground, but he told me to stay quit about it because people might get upset. I removed four from the traps plus the one I caught by hand.

I'm sorry.... People just go along with things. Teachers are great, but they are not even remotely equipped to protect our kids. They are the bottom tear of a large burocracy that is more concerned with itself, than actual effective methods at protecting children.

I do do something about every danger that faces my community. Luckily my community is pretty much natural disaster free. So it's bad guys and rattle snakes we have to worry about.

Trisha Ulrey, 46, said she had just pulled into the parking lot of Highland West Junior High to pick up her children, Rachel, 14, and Jacob, 12, when she was told the storm was too close -- school officials weren't letting students go.

"People were screaming mad," Ulrey said. "They wanted to go home to their own shelters. But teachers were saying, 'You can die between here and your shelter.'"

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2344923