Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shepal

White Crane Feather

That's funny considering I actually have large groups of kids practice this very drill in shooter situations.

And you're the crazed shooter?

Evacuating a school in under 10 seconds, or school kids hopping in a car and driving away from a tornado? *snip*

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
Make your point without being inflammatory

If I wished to take my kids out of school, aint no teacher gonna stop me.

No kidding. What bugs me is that many times they think they know what's better for your child than you do. Granted when it comes to learning a subject that the teacher is trained and experienced in.... Sure listen to the teacher, but in these cases what makes a the school think it is more equipped to protect your child than you are. I would be more than "screaming mad", it would be very difficult to stop me from removeing my child from school. It would probably require a tazer.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

In an earth quake you should get out of any structures and go to an open area.

--- schools teach children to huddle under desks.

If Somone one is shooting at you, you should run like hell.

----- schools teach our children to huddle in corners.

If there is a tornado warning you should sit in your car and drive away from the wall cloud or get under ground.

----- again we teach our children to hide in exposed buildings.

It makes me sick. Kids are dieing because people are Shepal. Are these recommendations that they have in schools based on any kind of real statistical analysis or are they just afraid of lawsuits from loosing a kid thrown on a bus during a tornado warning. 7 kids drown to death yesterday in a puddle traped inside their school. How hard is it to throw them in cars or busses and drive them away from the dark part of the sky.

Urrrrggggggg. I'm not so sure humans are the smartest species. At least wild animals know to run from destruction. Only the ones that live under ground hide and huddle. And defiantly not when the fox finds its way in.

Urrrrrgggggggg!!!!

What's a Shepal?

Is that near Nepal?

The school did not have an underground shelter. This I do not understand.

$$$ A lot of schools don't have the money to repair their leaking roofs. Some teachers have said they hope a storm will tear their school's roof off completely so the district will finally have to do something about it.

When school budgets are made, the construction of an underground building to protect the entire school population for an event that's very unlikely to happen to that school is not an easy sell.

What's a Shepal?

Is that near Nepal?

Sorry I ment sheepal. It means people that just go along in a herd mentality and do what they are told without really thinking about things. probably wasn't the right word to express my frustration at school policies that morning.

[/size]

$$$ A lot of schools don't have the money to repair their leaking roofs. Some teachers have said they hope a storm will tear their school's roof off completely so the district will finally have to do something about it.

When school budgets are made, the construction of an underground building to protect the entire school population for an event that's very unlikely to happen to that school is not an easy sell.

All the more reason why the government should fund it. They have no qualms about giving money to other "projects" but in situations where they know the schools would benefit with a storm proof shelter they seem to close their accounts. Wonder if it is because they feel that those living there have chosen to knowing the risks? but for that argument we could say the same to all those living in flood risk and drought risk areas, and yet the government still give them aid!

All the more reason why the government should fund it. They have no qualms about giving money to other "projects" but in situations where they know the schools would benefit with a storm proof shelter they seem to close their accounts. Wonder if it is because they feel that those living there have chosen to knowing the risks? but for that argument we could say the same to all those living in flood risk and drought risk areas, and yet the government still give them aid!

It would not be that expensive to dig holes in the ground and burry shipping containers.

• Like 1

It would not be that expensive to dig holes in the ground and burry shipping containers.

They obviously think it would be, or not worth it!!

You have now given schools filthy ponds.

You have now given schools filthy ponds.

Meh..... Dig a drain going out . Bury the containers with sand and gravel. Not that hard, I could do by myself with the right tools.

Meh..... Dig a drain going out .

Not always practical since water doesn't like going uphill.

Bury the containers with sand and gravel. Not that hard, I could do by myself with the right tools.

I can tell you've never had to deal with a wet basement before. There are lots of places where digging six feet down will create a continuous path for moisture. These are the areas where basements are rare. If you want one it involves pouring concrete, expensive water proofing membranes, french drains and often sump pumps.

All this needs to be maintained ($) like any other part of the school. Water will get in there eventually (trust me) and that's a mess someone will have to clean up. It will need to be regularly cleaned (lots of places have Recluse spiders which can be deadly), repainted and inspected regularly. You have to keep every animal looking for a home out of it -- do you want a bunch of panicked kids to go into a room with mice running around?

Kids only spend about 20% of their time at school so it more likely that they won't even be in school when the tornadoes hit.

Not always practical since water doesn't like going uphill.

I can tell you've never had to deal with a wet basement before. There are lots of places where digging six feet down will create a continuous path for moisture. These are the areas where basements are rare. If you want one it involves pouring concrete, expensive water proofing membranes, french drains and often sump pumps.

All this needs to be maintained ($) like any other part of the school. Water will get in there eventually (trust me) and that's a mess someone will have to clean up. It will need to be regularly cleaned (lots of places have Recluse spiders which can be deadly), repainted and inspected regularly. You have to keep every animal looking for a home out of it -- do you want a bunch of panicked kids to go into a room with mice running around?

Kids only spend about 20% of their time at school so it more likely that they won't even be in school when the tornadoes hit.

Actually I do have a basement.

I do see your points, I don't think there has the be comforts, just a place to get out of the way. I doubt every place for a school is built on impossible ground.

The concept of "sheeple" is often used to denigrate a lack of individuality, but it makes for an important part of our being. It's natural, to some extent, to want to 'follow the herd'. It's comfortable to conform and there is safety in numbers.

With regard to the disaster scenario, the opposite of this would be everyone running off doing their own thing. Whether you cower under a table or shelter underground, surely schools need to keep their kids together. This thread appears to be more about criticising current safety plans as inadequate as opposed to anything about them being 'sheeple'.

Do any schools in tornado prone areas have underground shelters like some private dwellings have?