Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World on track to run out of drinkable water

Ashotep

Ban Ki-moon has warned the world is on course to run out of freshwater unless greater efforts are made to improve water security.

UN secretary general warns the world is on track to run out of drinkable water

Clean water is going to be in short supply someday if the population keeps growing. I can see wars being fought over it.

• Like 4

better than the sewage recycled they pumping out now ...

London may soon be drinking recycled sewage

14 May 2013 11:02 AM

By Sarah Laskow

Thames Water, which provides drinking water to London, wants to start providing Londoners with recycled wastewater. And 63 percent of people who took a totally unscientific Guardian poll said they would be fine with this.

This is a self-selected sample of people, but it is at least a little bit surprising that more people did not kick and scream and yell, “No, I will not drink other people’s filtered pee — even if I can’t tell the difference!”

link

Poll: are you happy to drink recycled sewage water?

Thames Water has proposed this as one way of ensuring it can provide an adequate water supply for Londoners in the future. But could you stomach it?

So it turns out the water I – and other Londoners – have been drinking hasn't, in fact, been through the kidneys of at least seven other people as I always naively believed. But it could, if the public reaction to Thames Water's proposal to recycle its sewage water goes their way. "It's all about making sure there is enough water to go around, now and in the future," says Simon Evans, spokesman for the water company. "At the moment we supply 9 million people with water; by 2040, we predict we will be supplying 10.4 million people so we are going to need additional water."

link

except there's this little problem of :

Water memory is the claimed ability of water to retain a "memory" of substances previously dissolved in it to arbitrary dilution. No scientific evidence supports this claim.[1][2] Shaking the water at each stage of a serial dilution is claimed to be necessary for an effect to occur.[3] The concept was proposed by Jacques Benveniste to explain the purported therapeutic powers of homeopathic remedies, which are prepared by diluting solutions to such a high degree that not even a single molecule of the original substance remains in most final preparations. Benveniste sought to prove this basic tenet of homeopathy by conducting an experiment to be published "independently of homeopathic interests" in a major journal.[4]

While some studies, including Benveniste's, have reported such an effect, double-blind replications of the experiments involved have failed to reproduce the result. The concept is not consistent with accepted scientific laws and is not accepted by the scientific community.[5][6] Liquid water does not maintain ordered networks of molecules for longer than 50 one-millionths of one nanosecond.[7]

wiki

I'm not too euphoric about the solutions recommended truth be told ....

Water has memory!

And while its memory of a long lost drop of onion juice is Infinite

It somehow forgets all the poo it’s had in it!

—Tim Minchin - Storm

rationalWiki link

~edit : missing links

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 3

Recycled sewage would be so gross.

• Like 1

Daddy & Baby "Bush" together purchased approximately 80,000 acres in Paraguay which sits atop of one of the largest "aquifers" in the world.

Boone Pickens bought up acres of land in Texas for the water rights. Japan, whose population is shrinking, ranks in the top 10 percent of countries by water resources, while China and India, with the opposite demographic trend, will face shortages from 2030, according to a United Nations report in August 2012.

• Like 2

I think the term they use nowadays is "blue gold"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKcf-RBHirw

official site of the film Blue Gold: World Water Wars

From Top Documentary Films online :

In every corner of the globe, we are polluting, diverting, pumping, and wasting our limited supply of fresh water at an expediential level as population and technology grows.

The rampant overdevelopment of agriculture, housing and industry increase the demands for fresh water well beyond the finite supply, resulting in the desertification of the earth.

Corporate giants force developing countries to privatize their water supply for profit.

Wall Street investors target desalination and mass bulk water export schemes. Corrupt governments use water for economic and political gain.

Military control of water emerges and a new geo-political map and power structure forms, setting the stage for world water wars.

link

• Like 1

most of the world's fresh water is frozen at the poles, so it won't be too long before we start hacking lumps off 'em & shipping 'em around the world.

it'll probably help contribute to global warming, with there being less reflected sunlight, but when the weather warms up, we'll have lots of lovely ice-water to quench our thirsts!

:-)

I can drink out of the river that runs in front of my house, it drains one of the deepest lakes in the world (Quesnel Lake). I almost feel guilty :( ...almost!

• Like 5

I can drink out of the river that runs in front of my house, it drains one of the deepest lakes in the world (Quesnel Lake). I almost feel guilty :( ...almost!

I know how that feels ... I am near a hill that has a few spring spots and the water is just divine ... stealing from the gods almost ....

just to think ... was but a few decades ago that all water was such ....

what a sad sad state the world has become and to think its made so by the 'promises of a better world' by 'modernistic advancement'

• Like 6

me too LG, for living in a country that has 10 different words for 'rain', and who's main topic of conversation is the weather (ie. 'it's raining again/stopped raining(shock!)/it's going to rain), and who's main cultural export is the umbrella!!

*sob*

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 7

It barely rains in my city so a desalination plant was built back in 2006.

The plant produces 140 megalitres of drinking water per day. Plus in a roundabout sort of way, it's powered by a wind farm.

If the worlds drinking water supply does start drying up then desalination plants seem to be the way to go, or recycled water...

Edited by DKO
  • Like 4

Recycled sewage is fine. Just annoying when you get a piece of corn...

• Like 2

Recycled sewage would be so gross.

Actually, it would just be water and the process of purification is not so different from what you currently experience, unless you believe the fishes in the rivers don't have bowel movements or that land invested with the leavings of all our native fauna has never found it's way into any waterways :whistle:

• Like 7

I kind of thought that is what we were already drinking...

Unless you get your water from here http://www.unexplain...howtopic=248005

Processed sewage water gets put in rivers and goes downstreaam to the next town that cleans it up, sends it to the customers who create sewage which gets treated, put in a river treated downstream........

Maybe we can start exporting purified drinking water to the rest of the world and charge them the same rates as oil for gasoline.

• Like 4

I kind of thought that is what we were already drinking...

Unless you get your water from here http://www.unexplain...howtopic=248005

Actually, it would just be water and the process of purification is not so different from what you currently experience, unless you believe the fishes in the rivers don't have bowel movements or that land invested with the leavings of all our native fauna has never found it's way into any waterways :whistle:

I get my water from a deep well. Never drink out of the river or creek.
  • Like 3

Who's a lucky girl then? That must be some sweet tasting water.

• Like 3

Nice to know :)

Not sure why you quoted me though...

I'm coming to live with you then when we run out :)

Processed sewage water gets put in rivers and goes downstreaam to the next town that cleans it up, sends it to the customers who create sewage which gets treated, put in a river treated downstream........

Maybe we can start exporting purified drinking water to the rest of the world and charge them the same rates as oil for gasoline.

That reminds me of a story I once heard... Not sure if it s was a conspiracy theory or just a snippet from a conversation. Either way the gist of it was that the Channel Tunnels 'real' purpose was to serve as a giant water pipe so the dryer southern regions could steal all our water... :yes:

If we do gown down the route you suggest we have got to get Del Boy and Rodney to run the operation. ;)

Who's a lucky girl then? That must be some sweet tasting water.

It is, I'm so use to it I can't stand treated water. The bad thing about it is the hard water build up on your tub, faucets and dish washer. Guess there is a down side to everything.

Nice to know :)

Not sure why you quoted me though...

Because I said raw sewage would be so gross and you said you thought that was what were already drinking.
  • Like 1

One of the cities near where I live has started recycling and using sewer water for drinking. It isn't something in the future. Yet, many towns, mine included, sell a lot of their drinking water supply to the Poland Springs subsidiary of Nestle, Inc. I have complained that they were going to drain Maine dry if people didn't start saying no, but nobody listened. I would much rather have water from the town than drink recycled sewer water. Corporate greed knows no bounds. The town sells our water out from under us, so we can go into the grocer's and buy it back in nifty little bottles.

• Like 4

Because I said raw sewage would be so gross and you said you thought that was what were already drinking.

Ooops :blush:

Sorry Hilander, look at me calling it on then pleading ignorance. I think I lost track because you quoted myself and Lib at the same time.

It is nice you have access to such a supply, but to a certain extent all water is recycled, yours is on a very very long cycle though, I think its the thought of raw sewage rather than the actually cleanliness of the source that would put you off.

I have drunk stream water myself in Cumbria as a kid, it was nice but not something I would do today. If I was to drink naturally sourced water I would be tempted to 'clean' it myself before drinking.

Hope you can forgive me for my ignorant response. :)

• Like 1