Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How does your garden grow?

Insanity

• 4 months later...

That time of year again in my area. I added a new raised bed area, about 8x20 ft.

Planted beans, radishes, various peppers, pickling cucumbers, okra, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, and have yet to plant tomatoes and squashes.

I tripled my veggie garden space over what I had set up last year. Made a 12x9 lasagne bed for 4 kinds of tomatoes, and a 4x9 lasagne bed that has zucchini and green bush beans. Dug out and spread what was left of the compost pile out and made a 12x8 straw top bed that has 5 kinds of peppers and more beans, this one a lovely mottled bean good for fresh or dry. Set in four kinds of squashes, two kinds of drying pole beans, and a cuke into the short bed. The peas are growing up the fence right fine. Planted in two kinds of hops in large containers, a few containers of glads...

Got four 45 gallon contractor bags full of straw and strong growing potatoes.

My tarragon plant is a three foot tall bush that I need to cut back, heh.

The heirloom poppy I've been trying to save for the last 3 years is finally putting forth a good grow so far.

The wildflower patches I planted into the bird sanctuary are looking like they are not dead yet, lol.

The whole solarium border I ripped up and replaced last year burst with daffodil blooms, the irises are growing fast, and all the roses actually came back to life heartier than when I thought I killed them transplanting last summer.

The gooseberries I potted are plush and lush. So are the buckets of dill.

The tulips on the front fence border have died back, and the parsley border is growing in beautifully.

The chocolate mint and pineapple mints survived my scrappy planting last year and are growing in well and securing the soil on the hill just like they should.

My orchard is doing well, from green cherries growing to the new plum sporting full leaves and even a few blooms. Alas, I think this really might be the last season for the old and mostly dying peach tree.

The raised bed I built last fall for growing garlic is glorious! I didn't lose a single one and their foliage is hip high on me right now. I'm testing out several kinds and I'm growing garlic for the first time, so I'm extra pleased about this.

My sister brought out all her bins of cool lilies in April. Several of those are growing up all plush.

In my regular yard the front is mowed and looks decent. The back has been getting grazed by the neighbor horses and looks patchy and needs mowing. The firepit area needs mowing. The bird sanctuary areas are looking better for having been stomped on and chomped on by the horses in the last week or two. The lilacs have been in full bloom for several days. So have the lilly of the valley. Between the two, breezes have been delightfully scented in the house.

In the gardening I started at my mum in laws house, the fulva lilly patches I planted in last fall are coming in plush. Identified the sadly overgrown and lost herb garden struggling to spring up- will be working on that this summer :) She actually has a really good bit of base plants.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here in Northern California We can successfully grow almost anything. This year the extreme drought is making our garden half it's normal size. My tomatoes are not flourishing like usual from the decreased watering.

I tripled my veggie garden space over what I had set up last year. Made a 12x9 lasagne bed for 4 kinds of tomatoes, and a 4x9 lasagne bed that has zucchini and green bush beans. Dug out and spread what was left of the compost pile out and made a 12x8 straw top bed that has 5 kinds of peppers and more beans, this one a lovely mottled bean good for fresh or dry. Set in four kinds of squashes, two kinds of drying pole beans, and a cuke into the short bed. The peas are growing up the fence right fine. Planted in two kinds of hops in large containers, a few containers of glads...

Got four 45 gallon contractor bags full of straw and strong growing potatoes.

My tarragon plant is a three foot tall bush that I need to cut back, heh.

The heirloom poppy I've been trying to save for the last 3 years is finally putting forth a good grow so far.

The wildflower patches I planted into the bird sanctuary are looking like they are not dead yet, lol.

The whole solarium border I ripped up and replaced last year burst with daffodil blooms, the irises are growing fast, and all the roses actually came back to life heartier than when I thought I killed them transplanting last summer.

The gooseberries I potted are plush and lush. So are the buckets of dill.

The tulips on the front fence border have died back, and the parsley border is growing in beautifully.

The chocolate mint and pineapple mints survived my scrappy planting last year and are growing in well and securing the soil on the hill just like they should.

My orchard is doing well, from green cherries growing to the new plum sporting full leaves and even a few blooms. Alas, I think this really might be the last season for the old and mostly dying peach tree.

The raised bed I built last fall for growing garlic is glorious! I didn't lose a single one and their foliage is hip high on me right now. I'm testing out several kinds and I'm growing garlic for the first time, so I'm extra pleased about this.

My sister brought out all her bins of cool lilies in April. Several of those are growing up all plush.

In my regular yard the front is mowed and looks decent. The back has been getting grazed by the neighbor horses and looks patchy and needs mowing. The firepit area needs mowing. The bird sanctuary areas are looking better for having been stomped on and chomped on by the horses in the last week or two. The lilacs have been in full bloom for several days. So have the lilly of the valley. Between the two, breezes have been delightfully scented in the house.

In the gardening I started at my mum in laws house, the fulva lilly patches I planted in last fall are coming in plush. Identified the sadly overgrown and lost herb garden struggling to spring up- will be working on that this summer :) She actually has a really good bit of base plants.

Mum in law? Whaaa?