Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tibetan Snow Lion

DieChecker

I was reading another thread in the Ancient Mysteries section, about the White Palace of Potala, and naturally went and googled it to see what interesting things this ancient place had to offer. And I immediately noticed the excellent sculptures of the Snow Lion.

220px-Snow_Lions_protect_the_entrance_to_the_Potala_Pallace.jpg

So naturally I went and started googling that too. The Snow Lion is a mystical celestial creature of Tibetan myth. Often described as lion like, but being all white except the long hair (mane, tail) being some other color.

It ranges over the mountains, and is commonly pictured as being white with a turquoise mane.

Then I read that the Tibetan Lion Dog (aka the Tibetan Mastiff) could very well be the origin of the Snow Lion, as it can look very lion llike. But, it may also be that the Tibetan people created a breed of dog to resemble the Snow Lion.

The Lhasa Apso is called the Tibetan Lion Dog after its resemblance to the Snow Lion, however it is unknown whether the dog was bred to resemble the Snow Lion or if the artistic design was influenced by the features of the dog.

White-Tibetan-Mastiff-300x300.jpg

Some say that the Snow Lion is based of the Lhasa Apso, but I find that to be hard to believe.

1530.jpg

I don't think that the Snow Lion could be based on the Snow Leopard, because they look too different. Not shaggy enough.

The Chinese Guardian Lions, aka "Foo Dog", seems to look very similar. But appear to have a totally different backstory origin, powers and station in myth. For one thing these lions are Always in pairs, while the Snow Lion is most often portrayed as a single creature. So, I think the appearance similarity is superficial.

The Asiatic Lion (A real lion species), does appear to sometimes have very light colored fur, but I could not find if they ever included the highlands of Tibet in their range. They did range into what is today the Punjab and across northern India. They exist today only in the Forest of Gir in India.

220px-Young_Male_Asiatic_Lion.jpg

Then there are those who think it could be based on the Cave Lion.

Cave lions survived in the Balkans until around 2000 years ago.
they were featured in Paleolithic religious rituals.

snowlion.jpg

Anyway... I thought it interesting and a change from always talking about bigfoot.

Personally, I think the myth is based off the dog breed, but it could very well be from the Asiatic Lion also.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

How old is that dog breed I wonder, as the snowlion is an ancient myth (?)isn't it?

I was reading another thread in the Ancient Mysteries section, about the White Palace of Potala, and naturally went and googled it to see what interesting things this ancient place had to offer. And I immediately noticed the excellent sculptures of the Snow Lion.

220px-Snow_Lions_protect_the_entrance_to_the_Potala_Pallace.jpg

So naturally I went and started googling that too. The Snow Lion is a mystical celestial creature of Tibetan myth. Often described as lion like, but being all white except the long hair (mane, tail) being some other color.

Then I read that the Tibetan Lion Dog (aka the Tibetan Mastiff) could very well be the origin of the Snow Lion, as it can look very lion llike. But, it may also be that the Tibetan people created a breed of dog to resemble the Snow Lion.

White-Tibetan-Mastiff-300x300.jpg

Some say that the Snow Lion is based of the Lhasa Apso, but I find that to be hard to believe.

1530.jpg

I don't think that the Snow Lion could be based on the Snow Leopard, because they look too different. Not shaggy enough.

The Chinese Guardian Lions, aka "Foo Dog", seems to look very similar. But appear to have a totally different backstory origin, powers and station in myth. For one thing these lions are Always in pairs, while the Snow Lion is most often portrayed as a single creature. So, I think the appearance similarity is superficial.

The Asiatic Lion (A real lion species), does appear to sometimes have very light colored fur, but I could not find if they ever included the highlands of Tibet in their range. They did range into what is today the Punjab and across northern India. They exist today only in the Forest of Gir in India.

220px-Young_Male_Asiatic_Lion.jpg

Then there are those who think it could be based on the Cave Lion.

snowlion.jpg

Anyway... I thought it interesting and a change from always talking about bigfoot.

Personally, I think the myth is based off the dog breed, but it could very well be from the Asiatic Lion also.

It's a common feature worldwide. They are white 'black dogs' in the UK. Here's a dodgy yet excellent video imv

[media=]

[/media] Edited by RingFenceTheCity

Interesting. The bottom drawing in the OP I see a lion resemblance.

The sculpture at the beginning of the OP I don't see lion. My initial thought was something playful and friendly with a mooshed in nose, a caricature of a dog.

So I searched images and am not sure what i think about the tongue hanging out in some, doesn't seem lion-like to me but more dog-like behavior?

As s33ker pointed out, I wonder dates of dog breeds and the snow lion. I can see a resemblance to a Lhaso Apso or Shih tzu with hair cut back or a Pekingese.

Maybe there was a more ancient breed (precursor) to these?

Edited by QuiteContrary

428430_584985474858937_1698936791_n.jpg

nope ... this ain't it ... thankfully ... great post DieChecker

:tu:

• Like 2