Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abercrombie & Fitch targets skinny shoppers,

DieChecker

Where in the heck do they get to come off, telling people what they can eat, drink, or smoke? Making you pay extra taxes on fast food and soda is just stupid.

And lets not forget Mayor Bloomberg's "War on Soda".... :no:

What I really wonder is why we (at least some of "us", read "us as "them" ;) ) let them? And why some of "us" think it is a good idea? What ever happened to accepting responsibility for your actions? Sometimes it is your fault, and you should have to pay the piper, not have the government make someone else pay for you. You make poor decisions and you live, or die, with the results. After all. you made the poor decisions, not me.

• Like 2

People started packing on the pounds when the internet came along.

The 8's that Marilyn Monroe wore were a whole lot smaller than the 8's of today. The 8's she wore would of been the equivalent of a 1 or 2 by today's standards. Sizes have really changed in the last 10 or 15 years.

Just slap an Abercrombie logo on a few muu-muus and be done with it.

i can actually see it happen in china town here, a capital of counterfit crap.

Seems like a dumb business idea, turning away paying customers and all that, but it is their choice. We'll need to see the next few quarters to see how smart that idea is it. I'm guessing they're going to be taking a noticeable hit.

• Like 3

Personally I don't care who a company targets with it's merchandise and advertising. If you don't like what they offer in their store, go somewhere else. I do however have a problem with a CEO, who is responsible for the jobs of his employees, making assinine statements that will drive away potential customers. The stockholders of A@F should demand his resignation!

They should only do that if they see a decline in profits. Not yet known if this increases or decreases profits.

• Like 2

What I really wonder is why we (at least some of "us", read "us as "them" ;) ) let them? And why some of "us" think it is a good idea? What ever happened to accepting responsibility for your actions? Sometimes it is your fault, and you should have to pay the piper, not have the government make someone else pay for you. You make poor decisions and you live, or die, with the results. After all. you made the poor decisions, not me.

what makes you think you paying for them? for all we know you may be geting medicaid yourself, (and we pay for it), and made enough dumb desision in your life that cost us in one way or another, whether you overwight, or just sick (yea that happens too belive it or not) we pay for it regardless. for all the jails doctors, and generations of worthless couchpotatos and drugaddicts, we pay for them, all gvmnt cadillack plans we pay for.

i'm prety sure there are many overweight ppl working hard and paying into the system, and pay their own bills. have you ever though of that?

you seem to be very hostile towards overweight ppl, sounds like insecurity.

Edited by aztek

isn't because we didn't have fast food restaurants or sodas (we did), but because, as children, we were outside running around playing. Now days when two kids want to play a sport they sit at home and compete using video games.

It's a big combo of things.

Food choices

Lack of physical activity

Poor parenting

• Like 3

I think a business should be able to refuse to sell a product. But if the CEO is saying that they will not sell to a group, because they are basically sub-human, that should not be tolerated. He should just keep his bigoted mouth shut.

• Like 2

I know I did... :unsure2:

• Like 4

428553_589337194423765_1006170600_n.jpg

sometimes being too smart ain't helping none ...

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 4

The 8's that Marilyn Monroe wore were a whole lot smaller than the 8's of today. The 8's she wore would of been the equivalent of a 1 or 2 by today's standards. Sizes have really changed in the last 10 or 15 years.

No, Ms. Monroe was not a size 2 by today's standards. I know this (oddly enough) because my mother actually worked with her (when she was Norma Jean Doherty). Marilyn was quite curvy and well rounded without being fat. The sizes have not changed that dramatically. Sadly ('cause I'm so old), I can readily recall the sizes of the late 60's and early 70's. Only in very high quality clothing have the sizes become larger in recent years.

• Like 1

Too Fat? Too Thin?

''what size are you supposed to be?

too fat?

too thin?

too scared?

all three.....?

the pounds & ounces hierarchy, of processed people in 3D.

don't lose weight you need to survive,

just to live up to their lies.

all those looks & 'patron' eyes, are how your looks get stigmatized.

'i'm so thin!'

'i'm so fat!'

I couldn't give a s**t about that.

you're so beautiful it sets me free-

you're just the way you're meant to be.

pressured to change, to fit the size,

that sells the s**t they advertise,

leads to a culture of disguise.

and several teenage suicides.

'i'm so thin!'

'i'm so fat!'

you're just the way you're meant to be.

overstressed? and underweight.

or overweight? and underrated in the struggle to be average.....

'i'm so thin!'

'i'm so fat!'

you're just the way you're supposed to be.....''

-Dick Lucas-

• Like 3

535765_548021118555373_563873480_n.jpg

every mirror from now on should come with such a message from now on ...

• Like 3

535765_548021118555373_563873480_n.jpg

every mirror from now on should come with such a message from now on ...

X2!!

• Like 2

Also, whoever thinks plus size is the new regular, are just encouraging unhealthy lifestyles that will cost society more with healthcare costs later on.

Or you know, selling stuff to people who are fat so they have clothes to wear to have a job.

• Like 2

Or you know, selling stuff to people who are fat so they have clothes to wear to have a job.

That statement you quoted had nothing to do with marketing or the manufacturing of apparel. The whole paragraph, of which only a part was quoted, was divided into sections, "also" was the breaking point.

Those who insist on normalizing unhealthiness are not doing themselves or society any favors.

Back to the first part of the statement, which has nothing to do with others promoting unhealthy lifestyles but regarding fashion houses not manufacturing plus size apparel due to cost. It should be noted fashion houses make clothes for people who want to be fashionable and not necessarily just wanting clothes for utilitarian reasons such as just going to work when one doesn't care to look fashionable at work. Also consider when some define fashionable they define elegance at that is having clothes fit well and proper.

Once we get into fashion the clothes for plus size lines does cost more one we factor in tucks and darts which are expensive in and of themselves. Then we have to understand the use of more material costs more too. Also a standard cut size 16 article of clothes will not fit all size 16s the same. Some have their body fat distributed differently, so someone with larger thighs will not have the same size 16 fit the same as with someone with a larger abdomen or chest. What is the solution then? Creating three varieties of the same size 16 not knowing which will sell or not at any particular location? Expecting every plus size person to have their garments altered after the fact?

It really is more costly and risky to make plus size lines after all this is considered which is why many designers simply do not. Also designers have an idea of how their clothes should fit and fall on others, walking out having it baggy in one place and fitted in another, or some other variation, could hurt their brand and vision. Of course those who are not fashion-minded will scoff at such visions, oh well. It should strongly be noted that there are overweight people who dress impeccably and have their clothes fit well and proper. True fashionistas!

A&F seems to go beyond these considerations but into branding. That itself is another topic. Every company is free to brand and market their clothes as they see fit. Thins are free to be affronted if they choose and stand in solidarity with those excluded and simply boycott that brand if they wish. It is not like the persons being excluded have a choice to boycott since products are not even available to them at A&F.

There is a strong demand for plus sizing and plenty of outlets and chains that carry appropriate lines. Expecting every manufacturer to carry plus size lines is just unrealistic.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 1

Expecting manufacturers to cater to all types is entirely different to being an ******** about only catering towards a certain market.

WHich is entirely what the owner of A&F is doing. He's not just saying "we don't make XL clothes" he's saying "I don't like fat chicks".

I don't expect to get clothes tailored by Armani - too broad in the shoulders and chest - but I do expect as a consumer to be able to get some clothes that fit well and look good.

On the other hand, your posts seem to be saying "because fat people are a drain on society, they don't deserve to find clothes that fit nicely".

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 4

Besides being a mischaracterization that lacks nuance it seems a bit angry and pointed toward a fellow poster.

If you would like to discuss the topic feel free to.

you're right - it is directed at a fellow poster. the one who called fat people a drain and intimated they should be treated as second class citizens because they're fat.

I've been picked on and discriminated against all my life because I'm over-weight. I'm sure as hell not going to let a keyboard warrior like you slag people like me off without reaction.

• Like 2

We should all be happy with ourselves as we are: this applies to all of our physical and personality aspects -- our height, complexion, intelligence, sense of humor -- whatever. At the same time we should always seek to improve, which of course implies that we re not happy.

That is just one of those little contradictions of life that we should all have long ago gotten use to.

• Like 5

Interestingly, in Vietnam being fat or old or both is not a bad thing. You are not going to be considered sexy or beautiful or handsome, but you will be considered wise and get a lot of respect and honorific pronouns (something that barely exists in English). People will also defer to you, but tend to be harder to bargain with when you poor-mouth to get a reduced price on something.

• Like 3

Just another millionare a-hole, or Genius???

The company caters to thinner women. What's the problem?

They're targeting skinny women because they're called customers.

• Like 1

My now ex-ex girlfriend was a size 0. 5'7" ash blonde swede with blue-grey eyes with legs a mile long and I've never met a girl with greater self-esteem issues. Our society indoctrinates us to place a premium on looks, on what's cute, gorgeous, beautiful, sexy, fit, fancy, in-style, etc. Bugger that noise. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!

Edited by Yamato
  • Like 3

you're right - it is directed at a fellow poster. the one who called fat people a drain and intimated they should be treated as second class citizens because they're fat.

I've been picked on and discriminated against all my life because I'm over-weight. I'm sure as hell not going to let a keyboard warrior like you slag people like me off without reaction.

This is an attempt on forum warfare on another member.

Only corporations and those promoting unhealthy lifestyles were discussed in terms of affecting society in loss of production and the economic bottom line.

No where were the victims blamed.

Blaming another forum member for their experience of lifetime discrimination when none is occurring here is in error. No need to lash out or be so angry here.

We should all be happy with ourselves as we are: this applies to all of our physical and personality aspects -- our height, complexion, intelligence, sense of humor -- whatever. At the same time we should always seek to improve, which of course implies that we re not happy.

That is just one of those little contradictions of life that we should all have long ago gotten use to.

That is a paradox and finding a balance between the two is healthy. In my view we are works in progress, in the midst of creation, and full of potential, so at every stage we should embrace what we are and what we might still become.

Interestingly, in Vietnam being fat or old or both is not a bad thing. You are not going to be considered sexy or beautiful or handsome, but you will be considered wise and get a lot of respect and honorific pronouns (something that barely exists in English). People will also defer to you, but tend to be harder to bargain with when you poor-mouth to get a reduced price on something.

The West has severely devalued the elderly and the process of aging in general which is why so many do not age gracefully in mind or attitude. Wanting to remain young forever, the eternal chase of the fountain of youth, are ideas that should be reevaluated by our society.

• Like 5