Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Still Waters

Electric lighting prevents proper sleep

6 posts in this topic

Exposure to artificial light during the evening disrupts our natural 24-hour body clock or "circadian rhythm" and leaves us checking emails or watching television at night when we should be sleeping.

This disturbs our bodies even more because the blue light used in television, computer and tablet screens is even more disruptive to sleep than traditional incandescent lighting.

http://www.telegraph...ghts-sleep.html

2 people like this

I think we have to pay attention to what affects us as individuals. Maybe I'm just suspicious of so many of these studies that they have some ax to grind, but I find my sleep is great, and I stare at a very large monitor (its really a wide-screen TV) until ten minutes before bedtime, take my shower, crawl into bed and go to sleep.

Where I get into trouble sleeping is if I don't get up at the same time every day.

1 person likes this

Melatonin is essential to sleep and fluorescent lights do the same thing as the Sun does, lowers it. I can see where this would effect your sleep cycle.

I've taken melatonin before to help me sleep and all I got was some serious nightmares so I stopped.

Known this for ages. It's been around for a long time, the whole "blue light" thing.

Posted (edited)

My female roomate completely covers every crack in her room that could let in light during sleep.

She works graveyards and sleeps during the day.

I'm talking windows, door cracks, etc...

Seem's a little weird to me, but then, I am sensitive to things she is not.

EDIT: Oh, electric lighting. Yeah, even low-level. That disturbs my sleep also.

Edited by pallidin
1 person likes this

luckily, I don't watch tv or own a computer.

I spend my time up in my loft, which has large windows, so there's plenty of light for reading, drawing etc. and when it gets too dark, I use a lamp with a 40w LED bulb.

but saying that, I still only sleep 4-5hrs a day, usualy a couple of hours or so when I get home from work, then a couple of hours or so before I start work, and I feel fine! no bags under my eyes or tiredness or anything.

to be honest, I think I might have st vitus dance or summink.....