Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frog and toads expected to go extinct

Ashotep

A study released Wednesday said that North American frogs, toads and other amphibious animals are disappearing so quickly that they are on track to be extinct from their natural habitats by 2033. According to the Denver Post, the study — which was conducted by the U.S. Geological Survey — said that these types of animal populations are disappearing at a rate of 3.7 percent per year, although certain threatened species are expected to be extinct from their natural habitats within 6 years.

Scientists: Frog and toad declines signal of ‘collapse of the world’s ecosystems’

Even on protected lands this is happening. I think its pollution and a sign of things to come.

• Like 2

:( The beginning of the environmental collapse. Frogs and toads then fish, snakes, birds....
  • Like 4

Yeah. When our continuing, over-polluted world spurred by selfish interests kills-off basic species, well, that's BAD.

But try to tell that to the "big money people" in their cozy houses.(Nothing against wealth, but a lot against blatant self-interests)

Will they even listen?

I hope so.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

a lot of it is due to oestrogen mutation. it can cause amphibians to change sex, become sterile, cause mutations in muscle fibres and hermaphroditism. water treatment doesn't filter it out, so unless you gals stop taking the pill, or stop wazzing, our batrachian friends are doomed i'm afraid.....

• Like 2

To mix metaphors a bit, amphibians are the new canaries in the coal mine. Best pay attention to their fate, or we may all be gone soon.

• Like 5

248089_587466871277464_402777288_n.jpg

but I don't think I can help very much ....

• Like 3

It rains cane toads here, but all the green tree frogs are disappearing and geckos too, I've personally noticed on my property the difference from last year.

• Like 2

It rains cane toads here,

mmmmm..... cane toads.....

<3

A few years ago I remember scientists were becoming alarmed over deformities in frogs. The canary in the coal mine scenario was mentioned.

There are plenty of frogs around here but I rarely see a toad and salamanders are getting rare.

• Like 1

A few years ago I remember scientists were becoming alarmed over deformities in frogs. The canary in the coal mine scenario was mentioned.

There are plenty of frogs around here but I rarely see a toad and salamanders are getting rare.

when I was a kid, there used to be a huge rec (recreational ground) near us, and it had loads of little ponds dotted around everywhere, with frogs & newts & salamanders aplenty, but then they drained everywhere off and built a hospital there instead, and suddenly there were no more frogs or newts or salamanders anymore.....

• Like 1

Here the tree frogs could be deafing when I first moved to Florida, but now you hardly here them. :hmm:

• Like 1

mmmmm..... cane toads.....

<3

Makes you tongue numb.

• Like 2

It rains cane toads here, but all the green tree frogs are disappearing and geckos too, I've personally noticed on my property the difference from last year.

Cane toads have finally made there way to Western Australia. I would hate to see those ugly guys lasting longer than the native frogs.

• Like 1

Cane toads have finally made there way to Western Australia. I would hate to see those ugly guys lasting longer than the native frogs.

Think their eating the native frogs. Are they everywhere over there, in the city yet?

• Like 1

Think their eating the native frogs. Are they everywhere over there, in the city yet?

I don't think so. I've never heard them being down near Perth, I just remember hearing some had been found beyond the border. I think only a few have been found, no major breeding population yet.

How much of a problem are they over there now? Are you in Queensland?

Makes you tongue numb.

so...., you've licked one then, you naughty thing you!

:-)

• Like 1

We've got a ton of them in upstate NY. I find at least 2 or 3 in my pool skimmer per day in the summertime.

Here's one I pulled out of my pool a few years back.

Froggg_zpsb0b0c113.jpg

• Like 3

^ do i detect a more than slightly significant .... similarity of features between captive and captor ?

:P

or is it just me ?

~edit : too early in the morning

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 2

They are the canary in the coal mine. I have a cockatiel. Burning teflon kills cockatiels. I have NO teflon cookware in my home. If it kills birds it cannot be good for humans.

• Like 1

I don't think so. I've never heard them being down near Perth, I just remember hearing some had been found beyond the border. I think only a few have been found, no major breeding population yet.

How much of a problem are they over there now? Are you in Queensland?

1.5 hours from Cairns in the mountains , Ravenshoe. At night , they come from everywhere, people collect them in plastic bags and freeze them and a fertilizer "plant" takes them. They also skin them for key rings and stuff.

I'm surprised there not everywhere there too., lived in Mt Isa 3 yrs ago , and they've been there for the whole 10 yrs I lived there, didn't seem that they had far to go W.A.

so...., you've licked one then, you naughty thing you!

:-)

You can do some very strange things with cane toad I'm told. Scarring the **** out of them is always the first step in any "recipe" . If you saw one , the last thing you'd do is lick it.

They are the canary in the coal mine. I have a cockatiel. Burning teflon kills cockatiels. I have NO teflon cookware in my home. If it kills birds it cannot be good for humans.

Aren't they suppose to faze out that Teflon cook ware because it causes cancer. I stopped using it a long time ago.