Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3D printed Bronchus saves baby's life

Merc14

Doctors Save Baby's Life With Temporary 3D-Printed Bronchus

Jason Mick (Blog) - May 24, 2013 11:49 AM

Printed tissue will be repopulated with healthy tissue, will dissolve within two to three years

Amidst the controversy over 3D printing and gun control, it's important to remember that the potential of the former device goes far beyond making weapons.

I. Baby Blues

That's the story of a baby Kaiba, who suffered from a rare disease called tracheobronchomalacia. Often misdiagnosed as asthma, the disease in some cases isn't as severe, outgrown by age 2 or 3. But in Kaiba's case the disease was more severe; while 1 in 2,200 babies (appr.) have the lesser form, only around 1 in 20,000 have the more serious version he had.

That's the story of a baby Kaiba, who suffered from a rare disease called tracheobronchomalacia. Often misdiagnosed as asthma, the disease in some cases isn't as severe, outgrown by age 2 or 3. But in Kaiba's case the disease was more severe; while 1 in 2,200 babies (appr.) have the lesser form, only around 1 in 20,000 have the more serious version he had.

Kaiba's parents April and Bryan first detected the condition when he was six-weeks old. They were enjoying a meal at a restaurant when their watchful eyes noticed their child was struggling to breathe and turning blue. They rushed him to a hospital.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Amazing that it saved the child's life! :) But I must say this sudden 3D printing tech kind of creeps me out.

Not sure why.

Amazing that it saved the child's life! :) But I must say this sudden 3D printing tech kind of creeps me out.

Not sure why.

Because we Humans tend to use things that are initially used for Good,to bad.It's pretty amazing stuff really but to every Plus there's always a negative,the way of the Universe I think.

• Like 1

Because we Humans tend to use things that are initially used for Good,to bad.It's pretty amazing stuff really but to every Plus there's always a negative,the way of the Universe I think.

True, but the applications for this technology are limitless: you can literally have a small manufacturing plant in your house! Think about that...anything you can design on your computer will be created in front of your very eyes with laser precision. It's mind boggling if you take the time to really think about what you can do with it.

• Like 1

True, but the applications for this technology are limitless: you can literally have a small manufacturing plant in your house! Think about that...anything you can design on your computer will be created in front of your very eyes with laser precision. It's mind boggling if you take the time to really think about what you can do with it.

Yes it does have limitless potential,but at the end of the Day will Governments allow their Citizens access to this technology ? I am of the opinion that us mere mortals will only be given limited access to this wondrous technology.

Edited by shaddow134

Yes it does have limitless potential,but at the end of the Day will Governments allow their Citizens access to this technology ? I am of the opinion that us mere mortals will only be given limited access to this wondrous technology.

You can buy the printers now if you like. What will happen is that it won't be the tech that is controled but the softwear. Like the internet. For example one could print what ever they want with an app or download but trying to get the plans to make a gun could land you in some very hot water.

Edited by The Silver Thong

You can buy the printers now if you like. What will happen is that it won't be the tech that is controled but the softwear. Like the internet. For example one could print what ever they want with an app or download but trying to get the plans to make a gun could land you in some very hot water.

Will the same apply in ten years or so when these Machines have evolved into something more sophisticated ?

Will the same apply in ten years or so when these Machines have evolved into something more sophisticated ?

Probably will evolve over time. I have a feeling for example if you need to make a hammer there will be a one time cost to download the specs to make it. Thesee muchines will change the face of the planet imo for the better I hope like the internet did.