Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Did Water Come to Earth?

Still Waters

Morning dew and roaring falls inspire poets. Hurricanes and typhoons wreak devastation. Melting glaciers and rising tides challenge us all, even in an ever more thirsty world.

Water is so vital to our survival, but strangely enough, we don’t know the first thing about it—literally the first. Where does water, a giver and taker of life on planet Earth, come from?

http://www.smithsoni...-208340301.html

• Like 1

I have a feeling it has more significance than any of us realize. I've always been strangely drawn to water.

Edited by Jeffertonturner

I've learned that it could have come from many places. Meteors, moisture in the atmosphere itself, and for me personally God. Water is such a strong natural element, its beautiful :)

• Like 1

Current theories in geology believe it originates from two origins:

1. eruptions of volcanoes which released underground water to the surface.

2. comets which were very common in the early stage of our solar system and are mostly made out of ice.

The second option might also be the origin of life, if panspermia is correct :) .

• Like 1

Water is not rare in the universe. It is made of the least common element, hydrogen, and another common one, oxygen. The outer bodies of the solar system have it in abundance. Liquid water is rare but is a consequence of the Earth being close enough to the sun to melt the ice and far enough away that the water doesn't evaporate. There is no mystery here. The mystery would be if the earth did not contain it.