Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Abramelin

Nanoflowers Grow in Tiny Garden

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Spring is a wonderful time to stop and smell the roses, but when those roses are smaller than a speck of dust, the best place to get a whiff is through a scanning electron microscope.

Engineers working with lead researcher Wim Noorduin, a postdoctoral fellow in Harvard’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, have designed a way to create nano-scaled sculptures of roses, violets and tulips that are just as pretty as those in your backyard. They’re so small that the researchers were able to carpet the steps of the Lincoln Memorial -- the one embossed on the back of a penny -- with thousands of flowers.

*Snip*

http://news.discover...rden-130524.htm

Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of copied text
1 person likes this

Wow is all I can say.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

That's lovely and all, but can't these scientists figure out a way to solve the world's problems?

Edited by AliveInDeath7

That's lovely and all, but can't these scientists figure out a way to solve the world's problems?

Often solutions to problems come when you did not follow a path that other people think you should have followed, because if they knew what they were talking about, they'd done it themselves in the first place.

A straight line between two points may be the shortest line, but not always the best line.

I was very impressed with this when I saw it yesterday. Amazing what can be done nowadays. I love flowers too, the ones they created shown in the link are very pretty and colourful. It's a very interesting article all round.

1 person likes this