Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monsanto protests attract millions worldwide

Ashotep

Millions of people in over 400 cities and 52 countries protested against Monsanto Saturday. Don't think they are well liked.

The bill that would of required labeling of GMO product failed the big time, only 27 voted for it, 71 against.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/25/march-against-monsanto-protests-attract-millions-worldwide/

• Like 3

Monsanto owns those 71, they're on the payroll. Who dares to vote against their boss?

• Like 4

I went to the manchester march hil. it was a lovely sunny day, quite a few be-dreaded didge players, a nice shouty day out!

:-)

• Like 2

there were quite a few there that weren't particularly bothered about GM crops too, they were more concerned about monsanto's business practices!

• Like 3

I wouldn't be bothered by their crops if we were told when we were buying them, need those labels. Their business practices stink, now because of the law protecting them they have more room to do even more stinky things.

• Like 4

I wouldn't be bothered by their crops if we were told when we were buying them, need those labels.

that was one of the shouty bits hil,

'what do we want?'

'labels!'

'when do we want 'em?'

'now!!'

:-)

• Like 2

Facebook censors pictures of children rallying against GMOs

In one of the most devastating acts of destruction of its own credibility, Facebook engaged in yet more censorship of Free Speech with the suspending of an account that posted a photo of children rallying against Monsanto during today’s global March Against Monsanto.

The picture shows two children of Natural News reader Andrea Lalama. They are carrying hand-drawn signs that read:

“ORGANIC FOOD It’s My Medicine – Label GMOs – Say NO to GMO”

and

“BIOPESTICIDES = AUTISM – SAY NO TO GMO”

After this picture was shared on Facebook by Natural News, Andrea’s account was immediately suspended. Facebook displayed a message on her account which read (see screen capture, below):

“FACEBOOK: You have been restricted from Interacting With Pages until Saturday, June 8, 2013 at 6:47pm.”

At this point, Andrea can only re-post other people’s content but is disallowed from posting her own content. Why? Because children with signs are obviously very, very dangerous to the establishment.

See the photo of two children that Facebook says is “abusive”

Here’s the photo of the children that caused Facebook to suspend her account:

Facebook-censorship-children-GMO.jpg

And here’s the account suspension notice screen capture:

Facebook-censorship-Monsanto-rally.jpg

Here’s a link to Andrea’s Facebook page, which remains suspended:

http://www.facebook.com/andreacausa

Another woman, Georgia Gallucci, was also censored by Facebook

As the following screen capture shows, another FB user named Georgia Gallucci also had her account suspended by Facebook after “reposting a friend’s photo from the Monsanto March.”

Facebook-censorship-Georgia-gallucci.jpg

Yet another account called “Reversing Autism” was also suspended by Facebook for posting Monsanto march photos. The following screen capture shows the Reversing Autism account being labeled by Facebook as posting content that is “abusive.”

Facebook-censorship-Monsanto-blocked.jpg

Astonishingly, Facebook believes that a corporation growing corn engineered to contain a deadly poison is not abusive, but talking about it IS abusive!

Taken from http://www.infowars.com/facebook-censors-pictures-of-children-rallying-against-gmos-during-global-march-against-monsanto/

Wow. What's up with the censorship on Facebook?

• Like 3

**** THAT kowalski!

i'm gonna use your link to her page, repost all her stuff, and get all the people on my friends list (mostly activists) to repost it too, then THEIR friends will repost it, and THEIR friends etc. and by tuesday, fakebook should come to a grinding halt!

this is DISGUSTING, and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it!!

• Like 4

**** THAT kowalski!

i'm gonna use your link to her page, repost all her stuff, and get all the people on my friends list (mostly activists) to repost it too, then THEIR friends will repost it, and THEIR friends etc. and by tuesday, fakebook should come to a grinding halt!

this is DISGUSTING, and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it!!

I know! It's not like their posting horrible pictures, or stupid rap lyrics....

It is completely against the right for freedom of speech!

I don't have a facebook account, otherwise I'd do the same thing.

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

Millions of people in over 400 cities and 52 countries protested against Monsanto Saturday. Don't think they are well liked.

The bill that would of required labeling of GMO product failed the big time, only 27 voted for it, 71 against.

http://www.rawstory....ions-worldwide/

"Millions of people" - really? I'm seeing numbers being reported in some of the biggest cities of "several hundred", "a couple of thousand", or "scores of people". I know in my hometown of Albany there were about 12.

The only ones claiming "millions in people in 450 cities" are the official press releases.

• Like 2

"Millions of people" - really? I'm seeing numbers being reported in some of the biggest cities of "several hundred", "a couple of thousand", or "scores of people". I know in my hometown of Albany there were about 12.

The only ones claiming "millions in people in 450 cities" are the official press releases.

LOS ANGELES — Protesters rallied in dozens of cities Saturday as part of a global protest against seed giant Monsanto and the genetically modified food it produces, organizers said.

Organizers said "March Against Monsanto" protests were held in 52 countries and 436 cities, including Los Angeles where demonstrators waved signs that read "Real Food 4 Real People" and "Label GMOs, It's Our Right to Know."

Genetically modified plants are grown from seeds that are engineered to resist insecticides and herbicides, add nutritional benefits or otherwise improve crop yields and increase the global food supply.

Most corn, soybean and cotton crops grown in the United States today have been genetically modified. But critics say genetically modified organisms can lead to serious health conditions and harm the environment. The use of GMOs has been a growing issue of contention in recent years, with health advocates pushing for mandatory labeling of genetically modified products even though the federal government and many scientists say the technology is safe.

The `March Against Monsanto' movement began just a few months ago, when founder and organizer Tami Canal created a Facebook page on Feb. 28 calling for a rally against the company's practices.

"If I had gotten 3,000 people to join me, I would have considered that a success," she said Saturday. Instead, she said an "incredible" number of people responded to her message and turned out to rally.

"It was empowering and inspiring to see so many people, from different walks of life, put aside their differences and come together today," Canal said. The group plans to harness the success of the event to continue its anti-GMO cause.

"We will continue until Monsanto complies with consumer demand. They are poisoning our children, poisoning our planet," she said. "If we don't act, who's going to?"

Protesters in Buenos Aires and other cities in Argentina, where Monsanto's genetically modified soy and grains now command nearly 100 percent of the market, and the company's Roundup-Ready chemicals are sprayed throughout the year on fields where cows once grazed. They carried signs saying "Monsanto-Get out of Latin America"

In Portland, thousands of protesters took to Oregon streets. Police estimate about 6,000 protesters took part in Portland's peaceful march, and about 300 attended the rally in Bend. Other marches were scheduled in Baker City, Coos Bay, Eugene, Grants Pass, Medford, Portland, Prineville and Redmond.

Across the country in Orlando, about 800 people gathered with signs, pamphlets and speeches in front of City Hall. Maryann Wilson of Clermont, Fla., said she learned about Monsanto and genetically modified food by watching documentaries on YouTube.

"Scientists are saying that because they create their own seeds, they are harming the bees," Wilson told the Orlando Sentinel. "That is about as personal as it gets for me."

Chrissy Magaw was one of about 200 protesters who walked from a waterfront park to the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial in Pensacola.

She told WEAR-TV that knowing what you eat and put into your body is the most important decision you make every day.

In Birmingham, Ala., about 80 protesters turned out at Rhodes Park, some dressed as bees and butterflies, Al.com reported.

SI Reasoning, an activist, artist and musician who lives in Vestavia, Ala., described Monsanto's handling of GMOs as a "huge, uncontrolled experiment on the American people."

Monsanto Co., based in St. Louis, said that it respects people's rights to express their opinion on the topic, but maintains that its seeds improve agriculture by helping farmers produce more from their land while conserving resources such as water and energy.

The Food and Drug Administration does not require genetically modified foods to carry a label, but organic food companies and some consumer groups have intensified their push for labels, arguing that the modified seeds are floating from field to field and contaminating traditional crops. The groups have been bolstered by a growing network of consumers who are wary of processed and modified foods.

The U.S. Senate this week overwhelmingly rejected a bill that would allow states to require labeling of genetically modified foods.

The Biotechnology Industry Organization, a lobbying group that represents Monsanto, DuPont & Co. and other makers of genetically modified seeds, has said that it supports voluntary labeling for people who seek out such products. But it says that mandatory labeling would only mislead or confuse consumers into thinking the products aren't safe, even though the FDA has said there's no difference between GMO and organic, non-GMO foods.

However, state legislatures in Vermont and Connecticut moved ahead this month with votes to make food companies declare genetically modified ingredients on their packages. And supermarket retailer Whole Foods Markets Inc. has said that all products in its North American stores that contain genetically modified ingredients will be labeled as such by 2018.

Whole Foods says there is growing demand for products that don't use GMOs, with sales of products with a "Non-GMO" verification label spiking between 15 percent and 30 percent.

Taken from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/25/march-against-monsanto-gmo-protest_n_3336627.html

Also see: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/slideshow/Protesting-Monsanto-around-the-globe-63239.php#photo-4687361

• Like 1

It is completely against the right for freedom of speech!

I don't have a facebook account, otherwise I'd do the same thing.

posted it 3mns ago, & 5 reposts already!

• Like 2

posted it 3mns ago, & 5 reposts already!

Yeah! :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

I just hope they ban everybody!

banning one or two is no good, but if it goes viral and they have to ban thousands & thousands, maybe it'll wake people up to the fact that fakebook isn't the nice, fluffy website people think it is!

wanna promote fundamental lunacy?

go right on ahead sir!

wanna protest against major corporations?

go straight to jail. do not pass 'go'. do not collect £200.

hypocrisy at its most blatant.....

• Like 2

never mind.

Edited by Hilander

I was dissappointed that I was unable to attend the Pensacola rally due to job responsabilities but was proud of our "little" city for the turn out we had. Having a world wide protest gives me great hope that maybe there is still a chance that average everyday citizens, when united, can influence change and we, as americans can start to reel in our out of control federal government and their puppet master corporations. Lets find out what else Monsanto does and stop buying and using their products. Lets get the word out on those that voted against the labeling bill and hold them accountable in the next elections.

And please remember the blantant lie from obama that he would not let the monsanto protection act pass, then a couple of years later he slides it through. Ugh, he p***es me off.

• Like 1

There are countries that are banning GM foods! There is still hope!

• Like 3

Many countries out there have banned GMO foods.

The following countries have banned or restricted the import, distribution, sale, utilization, field trials and commercial planting of GMO’s:

• Africa: Algeria, Egypt

• Asia: Sri Lanka, Thailand, China, Japan, Phillipines

• Europe: The European Union, Norway, Austria, Germany United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Greece, France, Luxembourg, Portugal

• Latin America: Brazil, Paraguay

• Middle East: Saudi Arabia

• North America: Maryland has banned GE (genetically engineered) fish and North Dakota and Montana have filed bans on GE wheat. The Municipalities of Burlington, Vermont (declared a moratorium on GE food), Boulder, Colorado (bans on GE crops) and the City and County of San Francisco (urged the federal government to ban GE food) are the only towns or states to take some sort of stand against plants, animals, foods, crops and body products that are, or contain Genetically Modified Organisms.
    NOTE: The U.S. government, and the FDA do not require anything Genetically Modified to be identified on ingredient lists. Genetically Modified foods and products are in widespread use and distribution throughout the U.S.

• Pacific: American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Australia, New Zealand

Percentage of crops that are Genetically Modified in the U.S.:

• Soy (85%)
  • Cotton (Cottonseed) (76%)
  • Canola (75%)
  • Corn (40%)
  • Hawaiian papaya (more than 50%)
  • Zucchini and Yellow Squash (small amount)
  • Quest brand tobacco (100%)

Taken from http://www.purezing.com/living/toxins/living_toxins_gmofoods.html

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Monsanto Pesticides To Blame For Birth Defects In Argentina.

Argentina has become one of the worlds largest soybean producers, with the majority of its crops being majorly composed of genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Agrochemical spraying in the country has mushroomed over the last several years, in 1990 roughly 9 million gallons of argochemical spraying was needed, compared to today’s requirement of roughly 84 million gallons. Included in that was the use of over 200 million liters of herbicides containing poisons such as glyphosate, the main ingredient in Roundup. The country’s entire soybean crop, along with nearly all of its cotton and corn crops, have become genetically modified over the last decade. Along with the increase in GMO crops and pesticide use, the country has seen a disturbing and alarming growth in the prevalence of birth defects, cancer rates, and other negative health ailments. This has lead many of its citizens, including medical professionals, to assert the notion that pesticides, GMOs, and biotech giants are the ones to blame.

In Ituzaingo, a district comprised of roughly 5,000 people [and surrounded by many soy fields] has seen over the past eight years, more than 300 documented cases of cancer associated with fumigations and pesticides have been experienced, they have reported cancer rates that are 41 times the national average.

Disturbingly, 80% of children surveyed in one area were found to have pesticides in their blood. Studies have demonstrated that low concentrations of pesticides [such as glyphosate] is understood to harm human cells and cause cancer.

http://www.exposingthetruth.co/monsanto-pesticides-blame-birth-defects-argentina/