Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'I've rid the world of 160,000 demons'

Commander CMG

• Priests currently have to ask their bishop permission to perform exorcisms
  • Father Gabriele Amorth, head of the International Association of Exorcists, is calling for the rule to be relaxed so all priests can carry out the ritual
  • He claims his request was prompted by Pope Francis performing an 'exorcism' on a man possessed by demons in St Peter's Square on May 19

arrow3.gifView: Read more

A Roman legion was 6,000 men.

So this is the equivalent of the Gadarenes exorcism times 26.67.

hahahaha they missed one.

That's a hella lotta demons ......

• Like 1

The most interesting aspect is "wanting to allow all priests to do the ritual."

My first thought with the mass canonization of the 800 saints recently, fast tracking them to sainthood, was that some elements within the Catholic Church believe they are in spiritual warfare and need lots of backup, now, pronto!

This sort of adds onto that hunch. Would love the Church to be more open and tell us what is going on if anything so I could know it is not just my bias confirmation kicking in now. Of course if nothing is going on then there is nothing to tell us. Would love a chat with Pope Francis or someone else just to chat.

Still if true this gives me hope!!! Whether one believes in demons or not is not really important. Example to follow:

Two people are arguing, they leave mad, return after making up but sense something off in their home and a weird scent. They begin to bless it, making crosses over doors with olive oil, then tell demons they are not welcomed. Of course if demons do not exist the couple still realizes they need better tools to help their relationship so they also look into that. In the end a better relationship is the result. True story. Cannot stop with casting away demons but if it is part of how someone sees the world, more power to them if they find real world solutions to their problems in addition.

Rely on yourself, rely on science, any other symbols, cultural beliefs, and tools added to that are just ritual that give shape, form, and comfort to the overall remedy.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 2

From the article:

The Pope's exorcism is a splendid sign because one of the main causes of today's atheism is that people don't believe in the Devil any more. Jesus said: "Who is not with me is with Satan".'

He added: 'We live in an age in which God has been forgotten. And wherever God is not present, the Devil rules.

Err no, I don't think that is going to encourage the church to appoint more exorcists - more psychiatrists maybe. I think if I was in the presence of this priest I might start having some convulsions - born of being repulsed at someone who looks at every lay man and non believer and sees demons needing to be exorcised. :huh:

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

Hah! And there was me accusing Islam of being medieval! (Sorry, I've got to go. They're burning old Mother Doubleglass in the village square this afternoon, and I promised I'd supply the bag of gunpowder to hang round her neck.)

• Like 1

I don't think that is going to encourage the church to appoint more exorcists - more psychiatrists maybe.

are you saying that all priests are a bit mental Lib?

wonder whatever gave you THAT idea?!

;-)

are you saying that all priests are a bit mental Lib?

wonder whatever gave you THAT idea?!

;-)

You are asking a catholic whether she thinks all priests are a bit mental? Hmm, choose your next words with care ;) .

Actually only the ones who claim to see the devil at every corner and want to exorcise all the unbelievers - gee won't that idea go down well in certain parts of the world.

An exorcism once a day would work out to 438 years. Me thinks the priest is a bit touched.

Edited by Esoteric Toad
  • Like 1

Have absolutely no idea how many demons are around. However many people are mentally ill and need help.Not that there couldn't be people who are demonicially possed,of course.But one doesn't come across them everyday. Even few priests or ministers come across such cases. Many never encounter any possed people their whole life.

I understand that if a diocese doesn't have an official exorcist, then one would need someone to step up to the plate and take care of things.If more priests were trained, then they could fill the void.However, few priests i think would want to do this.You have to have special training and it's not something most people are cut out for.

An exorcism once a day would work out to 438 years. Me thinks the priest is a bit touched.

Did the priest say he only did one per day? Maybe he gave group discounts. :tu:

'I've rid the world of 160,000 demons'

congratulations! You get a cookie.

Mabon.

• Like 3

It's an empty boast. How is he going to prove it?

• Like 1

Drive through exorcisms...?

I'm all for him doing his exorcisms, so long as his subjects aren't forced into them... Why not? No harm, no foul...

Chances are good,that if he really did vanquish demons,he had repeat offenders .

That's even a theme in the exorcist and the Amityville horror . Same demon possesses new victims

It's an empty boast. How is he going to prove it?

Send a detective to find traces of any spooky ghost ectoplasm they usually leave behind.

Chances are good,that if he really did vanquish demons,he had repeat offenders .

That's even a theme in the exorcist and the Amityville horror . Same demon possesses new victims

That's exactly what I was thinking! is it really 160000 demons or just a couple of demons several thousand times. Or perhaps it's a scam like in "The Frighteners"

• Like 1

The most interesting aspect is "wanting to allow all priests to do the ritual."

My first thought with the mass canonization of the 800 saints recently, fast tracking them to sainthood, was that some elements within the Catholic Church believe they are in spiritual warfare and need lots of backup, now, pronto!

This sort of adds onto that hunch. Would love the Church to be more open and tell us what is going on if anything so I could know it is not just my bias confirmation kicking in now. Of course if nothing is going on then there is nothing to tell us. Would love a chat with Pope Francis or someone else just to chat.

Still if true this gives me hope!!! Whether one believes in demons or not is not really important. Example to follow:

Two people are arguing, they leave mad, return after making up but sense something off in their home and a weird scent. They begin to bless it, making crosses over doors with olive oil, then tell demons they are not welcomed. Of course if demons do not exist the couple still realizes they need better tools to help their relationship so they also look into that. In the end a better relationship is the result. True story. Cannot stop with casting away demons but if it is part of how someone sees the world, more power to them if they find real world solutions to their problems in addition.

Rely on yourself, rely on science, any other symbols, cultural beliefs, and tools added to that are just ritual that give shape, form, and comfort to the overall remedy.

Well maybe.However, if you look into the the majority of those canonized,they were victims of the Turks who refused to convert to islam,the others canonized I think were a couple of nuns.

That's exactly what I was thinking! is it really 160000 demons or just a couple of demons several thousand times. Or perhaps it's a scam like in "The Frighteners"

Demons must be like bowling pins, you knock one over, the ones behind them fall too and, and a really good exorcism knocks them all out and the priest gets a score like "326 demons" in one throw.

I tend to believe in both angels and demons, but I wonder if some "exorcisms" on those afflicted with certain forms of mental/physical illness are not rather experiencing the effects of the power of belief, the so-called "placebo effect".

Here's a snippet from: http://www.scientifi...ure-in-the-mind

In Brief

• In recent decades reports have confirmed the efficacy of various sham treatments in nearly all areas of medicine. Placebos have helped alleviate pain, depression, anxiety, Parkinson’s disease, inflammatory disorders and even cancer.
  • Placebo effects can arise not only from a conscious belief in a drug but also from subconscious associations between recovery and the experience of being treated—from the pinch of a shot to a doctor’s white coat. Such subliminal conditioning can control bodily processes of which we are unaware, such as immune responses and the release of hormones.
  • Researchers have decoded some of the biology of placebo responses, demonstrating that they stem from active processes in the brain.

Edited by pallidin